Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 09:57 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

It's almost the end of June. Let's wind things up with . . .

Today's Question(s):

Do you see many butterflies or bees around where you live? I saw so many cocoons in Delaware with a bunch of caterpillars the first week I was there (last week of April) that I was shocked. Then the third week I was there there was a lot of Eastern Black Swallowtails and a few Monarchs but when I came home to Tennessee, nothing in the usual places. Just last Sunday I went out looking for them with my camera but didn't see a single one. I did see plenty of bees, though. Most popular around where I live are Eastern Tiger Swallowtails which are mostly yellow and Pipevine Swallowtails which are mostly blue and black. Last year was a bad year to see butterflies in my town.

Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them? No.

Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that? Just old tax returns copies. I can get rid of the ones where the statute has expired. But I'm paranoid... and lazy.

What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting? Just the basics. Maintenance brings their own tools.

Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.? No

Foodie Question(s):
What is your go to starchy food: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, or something else?
pasta or corn

Have a [great] Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 10:07 PM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you see many butterflies or bees around where you live?
Not very many here in the big city. I don't think they like our weather.
Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them?
I have several that have sentimental value, but I really should toss them. When I'm gone, my niece and nephew will have no interest in my memorabilia.
Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that?
Yes, I have all my mother's letters to her mother dating back to the 1920s and all my letters to my mother, one dating back to 1958. I plan to keep them for now.
What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting?
Mr. Bay has all the standard tools (hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.) plus some electronic parts such as a voltmeter and lots of old resistors.
Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.?
I have a small round table (sometimes called a "fern table") handmade by my ancestors. It is in pieces in the garage because it needs restoration. We also have some loose lumber and a variety of old picture frames.
What is your go to starchy food: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, or something else?
I love rice.

Thanks, bjh!

Old 06-28-2023, 10:08 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question(s):

Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them?
I toss things like that right away, I do have a couple of magazines that I keep for reference.
Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that?
No, I use paperless billing and almost everything nowadays.

But Right now I have boxes and boxes of stuff that my Mom had, she passed away in Feb....she was afraid of having her identity stolen so she kept everything for the last two or three decades. I have sorted through and gotten rid of a lot of it, need to finish up in the next few days.
What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting?
I am a sucker for kitchen gadgets! My husband and Son are the ones that love hardware stores and tools.
Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.?
We have been downsizing a lot lately....have a few old things to get rid of yet, but we have gotten a lot done already.
Foodie Question(s):
I love me some potatoes! I love Italian food too, but try not to eat it too often.

I like the healthier European dark breads, but limit how much I eat of that also, I just found some zero carb tomato and basil sandwich wraps , that are really really good.

I love Chinese and Asian foods too, but when I make rice at home I now use brown rice, since they say it is healthier....

Husband was just diagnosed as a diabetic, so I am trying to implement a low carb diet now.

Have a [great] Thursday!
U2! Thanks for the questions!

Old 06-28-2023, 11:12 PM

38,871 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Today's Question(s):
There used to be many, but it seems their ranks are thinning out for some strange reason.

No, they are long gone.

Just old tax returns and related documents. They will eventually get shredded.

Various hand tools like screw drivers, pliers, wrenches.

No

Foodie Question(s):
Usually it's brown rice and pandesal, which are Filipino dinner rolls.

Have a [great] Thursday!
Thanks! You too!

Old 06-29-2023, 02:10 AM

12,202 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Today's Question(s):
Yes, more bees in spring. I grow flowers they like and many butterflies even now because we have a woodsy backyard. Maybe they like the shade.

Like Crazy Cat Lady I inherited a bunch of crap from my mom who also kept mail for decades because of fear of identity theft. I am still clearing things out.

Not nearly as much of my own anymore.

I like kitchen gadgets and office supplies as long as they will actually be used.

I found an old rocking chair in the shed. I don't know if it can be restored or not.

Foodie Question(s):
Growing up it was potatoes. I prefer to limit starches.

Have a [great] Thursday!
Thank you, bjh!

Old 06-29-2023, 05:19 AM

30,501 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:

Today's Question(s):

some but wish there was more

have some old needlepoint magazines from the 80s. Slowly getting rid of them.

some tax stuff I need to shred. Other than that, nothing past the 7 yr mark.

basically just craft how-to books. Even if I know I'll never do the craft I'll buy the how-to book.

some picture frames and a bit of lumber in the garage.

Foodie Question(s):

pasta, especially noodles.

Have a [great] Thursday!

thanks, bjh. You too

Old 06-29-2023, 06:22 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
]It's almost the end of June. Let's wind things up with . . .

Today's Question(s):
Do you see many butterflies or bees around where you live? I usually do but not so far this year.

Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them? No I recycle that stuff

Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that? Tax returns and other paperwork I will hang onto for awhile because I think it might be important, House papers, proof we repaired things, etc…

What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting? I don’t know, that’s my husbands department.

Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.? Probably in the basement or garage.

Foodie Question(s):
What is your go to starchy food: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, or something else? Bread

Have a [great] Thursday!
Thank you!

Old 06-29-2023, 06:29 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Today's Question(s):

Do you see many butterflies or bees around where you live? Yes, I plant things to attract them.

Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them? Oh heck no. I can’t stand stuff like that lying around.

Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that? No

What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting? I personally can get by with a hammer and a tape measure, but dh has a double garage full of tools and hardware.

Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.? Lots of framed pictures and a few odd tables in the attic. DH has odd and ends of lumber in his shop.

Foodie Question(s):
What is your go to starchy food: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, or something else? We eat lots of potatoes, then pasta, then bread, then rice.

Have a [great] Thursday!

Old 06-29-2023, 06:40 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Today's Question(s):

More bees than butterflies, but yes - both plentiful.

I have several old magazines that feature important historical/world events as they happened.

Of course all original vital documents that are important to me and my family - they are properly archived, also paperwork and documents from and about my family, going back couple centuries, hand written or published.

I am currently looking to purchase an AirFryer and split a/c for my second home overseas.

There are couple of furniture in my basement that I need to sell, but I am procrastinating...

Foodie Question(s):

Potatoes and bread products, then whole grains, cereals, and legumes. In that order. I don't care much for rice and noodle.

Have a [great] Thursday!

Thank you, bjh!!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:34 AM

126,267 posts, read 19,036,909 times
Quote:

Today's Question(s):
Do you see many butterflies or bees around where you live? ....................I planted a wildflower meadow to attract butterflies,bees and bumblebees and they are visiting

Do you have any old magazines or newspapers, what kinds and what are your plans for them? ...........I have none

Do you still have old paperwork from years or decades past, and if so what are you gonna do with that? ................ Tax papers we have to keep for 7 years here in Canada.I also have all documents from my great grandparents, grandparents and my parents as well other important documents,files or archives

What kinds of gadgets, tools or hardware do you have or what kinds are you a sucker for getting? ............I have a large toolkit that looks like a suitcase on wheels,other handy tools for around the house,for the car and bikes. I finally caved in and bought a stand mixer for bread and cakes. Love my knives, baking ware and tools

Do you have any unused wooden items:furniture, old wooden picture frames, loose lumber, etc.? ................Nothing unusual.I love wood and have a lot of wooden furniture pieces,Bavarian style and other....some going back from when we immigrated to Canada.The craftsmanship of these furniture pieces is long lasting......

Foodie Question(s):
What is your go to starchy food: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, or something else? ............I bake us weekly fresh European bread,we eat a lot of lentils and beans,large steel oats,sweet potatoes

Have a [great] Thursday!

Thank you bjh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics