Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,406,549 times

Advertisements

Now that school is starting up I though it would be fun to find out

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? To see all my friends again and chat all day long during classes

Bonus Question:

This was mentioned in one of our answers and I thought "what a perfect idea so

What was the last thing that would of had you saying

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" DS doing somersaults on my parents' couch yesterday evening. He was so cute!

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Well I made my own book covers but instead of brown grocery bags you use over there I used gift wrap. My books were all very colorful and nice - see I'm really a girly girl...

Think you could still make them ? Sure.

Puzzles :
crossword ? Rarely.
or
Jigsaw ? Love 'em. Always around Christmas I take one out of the cabinet which is only used for Jigsaw puzzles and games. Alhtough I haven't made it in the last two years b/c DS was already running all around the living room and destroying all my systematic order lol

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Yes, a large stack, but I don't listen to them. Anyhoo, they are way too good to give them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,633,565 times
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?
Getting a new pencil and a brand new eraser.

What was the last thing that would of had you saying "See it is the little things that are most amusing"
When my dog brought me his stuffed toy to play a game of fetch last night while I was watching TV. It's not how far I throw it, it's how many times I am willing to throw it for him that counts.

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ?
That would be me.

Think you could still make them ?
I doubt it.

Puzzles : Word search ?
Yes, please.

How many here still have any vinyl records ?
Not me. I threw them in the trash when I moved out of FL.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,770,168 times
Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? The next summer to come!!!

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" April Fools Day I guess.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Nay. Not I. Sorry.

Puzzles :
Word search

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Again, not I.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,070,338 times
How many here still have any vinyl records? and Baseball Fans Day.

I decided to put these two together today. The Chicago White Sox once did the same!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sdjy5ngMcaY/RrawDd7iZxI/AAAAAAAAAZ4/lsPyYcOFT20/s400/disco+picture.jpg (broken link)

(from Wikipedia) Disco Demolition Night was a promotional event that took place on Thursday, July 12, 1979, at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois. It was held during the twi-night doubleheader baseball game between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers. During the climax of the event, rowdy fans surged onto the field, and a near riot ensued.

The turnout for this promotion far exceeded all expectations. White Sox management was hoping for a crowd of 12,000, about the double the average for a Thursday night game that year. But an estimated 90,000 turned up at the 52,000-seat stadium. The result was so disasterous that the White Sox had to forfeit the second game.

See? It is the little things that are most amusing!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:01 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,748,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
lol ok I guess the "post today question option" seemed like a better choice for all of our late nighters !!
So
Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
The weather "gurus" are calling for another toasty day with a little rain thrown in . lol I had to chuckle there is a possible tropical depression like a "bazillion" miles to the east of us, well I guess since this years Hurricane season has been quiet they are all excited, they are even doing the "breaking news tonight at 11 " thingys

Well I am getting the " mom we need to go out soon" so I better get typing with

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?
New clothes.
Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing"

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Me

Yes
Puzzles :
crossword ? Yes
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ? Yes

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Have some that are in good condition and we pay from time to time.

Today in History:
1851 - Isaac Singer of New York City patented the double-treadle sewing machine on this day. Although a sewing machine had already been patented, Singer?s sewing machine was revolutionary, having a double treadle
1856 - Anthony Fass patents the accordion
1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball
1879 - The first National Archery Association tournament began in Chicago, IL

Word of the Day:
plenipotentiary\plen-uh-puh-TEN-shee-air-ee; -shuh-ree\ , adjective:
1. Containing or conferring full power; invested with full power; as, "plenipotentiary license; plenipotentiary ministers."
noun:
1. A person invested with full power to transact any busines

Today is:
Julliene Fries Day Yum!
Sewing Machine Day
Baseball Fans Day
Truck Driver Day
National Vinyl Record Day

OOO the newsguy just said we are suppose to have lots of shooting starts tonight oh yeah right after they brought up the tropics

I am going to go take a look

See you all in the Am
Good Morning Everyone!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,204,512 times

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? new clothes, new and old friends

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? never

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?
All of the above

How many here still have any vinyl records ? yup a bunch actually

Today in History:
1851 - Isaac Singer of New York City patented the double-treadle sewing machine on this day. Although a sewing machine had already been patented, Singer’s sewing machine was revolutionary, having a double treadle
1856 - Anthony Fass patents the accordion
1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball
1879 - The first National Archery Association tournament began in Chicago, IL

Word of the Day:
plenipotentiary\plen-uh-puh-TEN-shee-air-ee; -shuh-ree\ , adjective:
1. Containing or conferring full power; invested with full power; as, "plenipotentiary license; plenipotentiary ministers."
noun:
1. A person invested with full power to transact any busines

Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 AM

36,521 posts, read 16,113,544 times
Today's Question(s):

I liked getting new clothes, in grade school Mom would buy me 5 new dresses and I would come home and try all of them on for Dad!! AWWWW
Bonus Question:

I am always thinking that because I am so easily amused!
Just for Fun:

I did, I did
Sure, just glad I don't have any little kids to do that for!

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?
None of the above
I wish I had them remember the Dave Mason that was multi colored and Led Zepplin that had that cover that twirled around???

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,353,431 times
GOOD MORNING!

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? I always loved having new supplies for school, new notebooks, new folders, new pens, everything... I still love that , actually! As a teacher, I never stopped having back to school new stuff so that's great...
But this year will be the first without a "back to school day" for me... I'm desperate for new supplies...

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" My husband is short and very funny, can I consider him a "little amusing thing"?

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Not I

Think you could still make them ? Since I've never tried...

Puzzles :
crossword ? hardly ever
or
Jigsaw ? never
or
Word search ? often (especially on a plane or train)

How many here still have any vinyl records ? I still have vinyls, but have no player

Today is:
Jullienne Fries Day As long as there is vinegar...
Sewing Machine Day No such thing here!
Baseball Fans Day Not my day then, I still can't understand that game...
Truck Driver Day No truck here!
National Vinyl Record Day cool! It's good to know the good old times are not forgoten!

Have a very nice day!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,966,427 times
I liked the newness of everything - the clothes, the books...and Youth Football. Not because I liked the game or even understood it.
My dad was a coach and it was fun to hang out on the sidelines watching practice.

What was the last thing that would of had you saying "See it is the little things that are most amusing"
Yesterday was like a steam bath here. I was driving home from work and these 2 boys were by the road. One had a water hose & the other
had a sign. As I approached, he held up the sign - it said "PLEASE HONK!!!" & he was pumping his fist like you do to truckers. So I honked,
and his pal squirted him with the hose! So I stopped & rolled down my window to inquire. They were taking turns - every honk was
rewarded with a cool blast of the hose!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! We loved those because we could fill them with "autographs" and doodles.

Double H should break the record on this one! (pun intended!!)

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 AM

48,352 posts, read 22,092,697 times

Back to School! A new pencil box and bright shiny yellow pencils and a pencil sharpener and a little plastic ruler and a two colored eraser (pink and grey) that had never been used yet, and a pad of paper and probably a compass that won't be needed until plane geometry years and years in the future ; Some new plaid shirts.....flannel ones for winter....they will never look the same after they have been washed.....but the first day of school -- even the top button buttoned in honor of the auspiciousness of the day; new high top sneakers.....oh blisters on the heels of the barefoot boy of summer! Even new underware and socks. A brand new school year and a brand grade....a new teacher....a new desk assignment....a brand new me....a fresh start.....everything is brand spanking new.

Bonus Question:

Watching the unspoken and subtle ways the two dogs interact and vie for their position in the family pack.

Just for Fun:

Oh yes we did.....my kids got the shiney store bought ones .....but I made mine from brown paper bags.....and on the first week.....they didnt have any doodles on them yet....just my name written in the upper right hand corner, in my best cursive handwriting.

It would take some doing....but yes I think I remember.....(sometimes they were so tight that at first you couldnt close the book covers....
Puzzles :
Jigsaw ?
or

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Over my last moves I let go of some wonderful old vinyl recordings.....too heavy and cumbersome.....I miss some of them....but life is a process of letting go.....the Buddha thing.

OOO the newsguy just said we are suppose to have lots of shooting starts tonight oh yeah right after they brought up the tropics

I am going to go take a look

See you all in the Am

"catch a shooting star and put it in your pocket; save it for a rainy day!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics