Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM

403 posts, read 1,120,998 times

Advertisements

Now that school is starting up I though it would be fun to find out
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?

I always looked forward to seeing my friends. Some friends you'd see continuously over the Summer, usually the ones that lived close to you. But the others, you'd only see in class.

What was the last thing that would of had you saying
"See it is the little things that are most amusing"

I think there are some posts and personalities in these forums that make you say that. There are times when the way somebody says something betrays quite a bit about their personality; I sometimes find that entertaining.

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ?

I think they had us doing that even in High School. It was the first assignment on day one of class: make one for your book, or lose five points.

Think you could still make them ?

I really don't remember how it was done, but I doubt it's that difficult to figure out. As I recall, my homemade book covers were pretty sloppy--pretty much the bare minimum in order to meet the first day assignment criteria of making them.

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

I guess crossword. How about Sudoku?

How many here still have any vinyl records ?

Not me, but high end audiophiles swear that albums have the best sound--better than CD, tape, all that. I can hear the difference when somebody plays them on a good system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,790,388 times
the first day of school was also 'the' day to show off the new pencil-box... hoping it would not be like anyone else's..... now they probably compare phones

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,310,742 times

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?The new clothes. for me it was always the new clothes. I would lay awake the night before school started to think about what i was gonna wear and how i would do my hair
Bonus Question:

This was mentioned in one of our answers and I thought "what a perfect idea so

after we go rollerblading or camping.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ?sure did every time!

Think you could still make them ?probably not

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

How many here still have any vinyl records ?my husband does but they are at his mom's house.

I just love reading everyone's answers have a good day all!!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
What was the last thing that would of had you saying "See it is the little things that are most amusing"
Yesterday was like a steam bath here. I was driving home from work and these 2 boys were by the road. One had a water hose & the other
had a sign. As I approached, he held up the sign - it said "PLEASE HONK!!!" & he was pumping his fist like you do to truckers. So I honked,
and his pal squirted him with the hose! So I stopped & rolled down my window to inquire. They were taking turns - every honk was
rewarded with a cool blast of the hose!
That sounds like a wonderful idea! Very original! Good for them!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,650,020 times
Good Morning!!

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and getting ready to go back to school?
Seeing friends that I hadn't seen in awhile, and wearing all the new clothes!! By the way, have any of you seen that Staples commercial where the dad brings the kids for supply shopping and the kids are really bummed because they have to go back to school, but the dad is leaping through the isles, thoroughly excited?? It is pretty funny!!

What was the last thing that would have had you saying "See, it is the little things that are most amusing"?
Last night our little Chiweenie dog was "wrestling" with our 100lb. Rhodesian Ridgeback! My son and I were laughing our heads off - He would run and jump on the big dogs head, then the big dog would flip his head around and the little guy would fly across the room, and come back for more!!

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag?
Wow - I completely forgot about that! Yes, we did do that, then decorated them with markers!

Think you could still make them?
Uh maybe - - - if I had a brown paper bag!

Puzzles:
Crossword - Sure, but I haven't done one in a long time.
Jigsaw - When my daughter would ask me to help her with one, I had to be careful to only help, and not take over..
Word Search - I have an eagle eye for those - - again, have to be careful not to take over!

How many here still have any vinyl records?
I had a huge collection, but when I moved out of my parents house I must have left them behind, and they disappeared.

Julliene Fries Day - Ok, I'll have some!
Sewing Machine Day - I could really use one of these, but I'm afraid if I got one I would have to USE it!!
Baseball Fans Day - I don't watch sports on TV, but I used to love to play baseball!
Truck Driver Day - Happy Truck Driver Day to dh! Hey Crew Chief - Happy Truck Driver Day to you too!! (and any others out there!)

I hope everyone has a great day!!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and getting ready to go back to school?
Seeing friends that I hadn't seen in awhile, and wearing all the new clothes!! By the way, have any of you seen that Staples commercial where the dad brings the kids for supply shopping and the kids are really bummed because they have to go back to school, but the dad is leaping through the isles, thoroughly excited?? It is pretty funny!! Saw that commercial this morning -- "It's the most wonderful time of the year" -- made me LOL!

Puzzles:
Jigsaw - When my daughter would ask me to help her with one, I had to be careful to only help, and not take over.. My guys know that when I am doing one to just BACK OFF! IT'S MINE I TELL YA! I get just a little possessive of my jigsaws!
Have a great day!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 919,869 times
Hello everyone!

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school? the anticipation of seeing friends I hadn't seen over the summer, shopping for new school clothes and supplies

What was the last thing that would of had you saying "See it is the little things that are most amusing."? just laughing with a friend over nonsense - silly words; stupid names for parts of the body

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag? I did!

Think you could still make them? Sure!

Puzzles: crossword, jigsaw and word search!

How many here still have any vinyl records? I do - quite a few!

1856 - Anthony Fass patents the accordion. Those things are just plain funny to me!
1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball? Not a ball, but a bell perhaps! And I'm sure glad he did - imagine how many people died before that from infections?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
How many of you had this lunchbox?

I still have that lunch box and I take it to work every day.. I always fantasized about having lunch with Susan Dey...

I'm just kidding, no I never had that lunch box, I graduated from grade school in 1971, which I think was around the time the Partridge Family show went on the air.

Speaking of the Partridge Family, they had Shirley Jones and Danny Bonaduce on the show The Smoking Gun, World's Dumbest, last Thursday night on Tru-TV.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Today's Question(s):
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?

When do Schools start down there Karla? My kids have another 3 1/2 weeks to go before school starts. What did I look forward to when school was about to start again...? Have to say, next Summer was tops on the list, with seeing friends again in school running a close second.

Bonus Question:

Watching the water run off one of the boys water toys at the beach the other day.

Just for Fun:

I did a few times.

Yep, no doubts. Remember, I have 4 kids in school yet

Puzzles?
None of them. I really am not a puzzle person.

Hundreds of them. yes I still do break them out and play them once in a while. I even have a couple dozen special edition LP's that are limited runs with colored vinyl and even a few clear ones.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,041,784 times
Today's Question(s):

Christmas break!!..LOL. I hated going back to school and I never wanted the summer to end.

Bonus Question:

When I dropped a pill bottle on the floor and my dog quickly grabbed and took off with it. He thought I was playing with him since I throw him his toy all the time. Anyway, when I took the pill bottle away he just sat there all disspointed like he had lost his best friend. I threw him his toy and all was forgotten. It was amusing at how quickly he forgot it. I thought to myself how nice it would be if we adults would forget about disappointments that quickly...LOL

Just for Fun:

Oh yeah, I did that a lot.

I doubt it.

Puzzles :
crossword ?
I'm not very fond of these
or
Jigsaw ?
same as above
or
Word search ?
This one is my favorite word puzzle.

I did up until a few years ago. I had a bunch of them from the late 70's and early 80's. Many of them were in bad shape so I ended up throwing most of them away. I had already replaced many of them with CD's anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics