Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 AM

338 posts, read 320,981 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?
I enjoyed getting the supplies--having fresh new pencils

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that would of had you saying "See it is the little things that are most amusing"
my kids

Just for Fun:
How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ?

Think you could still make them ?

Puzzles :
crossword ? tv guide
or
Jigsaw ? yes
or
Word search ? no

How many here still have any vinyl records ?
Unfortunately I will never forget the day I was in a Musicland store and couldn't find the records section--when I asked the sales clerk, he told me that they didn't sell them anymore

Today is:
Baseball Fans Day Go Rockies!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 AM

27,443 posts, read 27,478,895 times
Today's Question(s):

Now that school is starting up I though it would be fun to find out

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?

Bonus Question:

This was mentioned in one of our answers and I thought "what a perfect idea so

What was the last thing that would of had you saying

"See it is the little things that are most amusing"

Just for Fun:

Think you could still make them ?

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

How many here still have any vinyl records ?

My new lunch box. Every year it was something new.
Last time I said that was watching the cat toss around a bug of some type outside. She finally ate it.
Book covers...oh how I remember those. And the paper bags we used for making them.
I know they make all of the above because every month I go look for a new word search book and there are tons of puzzle books.
And yes I still have my vinyl records. And am not giving them up.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,691,223 times
[quote=Karla with a K;10232856]lol ok I guess the "post today question option" seemed like a better choice for all of our late nighters !!
So
Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
The weather "gurus" are calling for another toasty day with a little rain thrown in . lol I had to chuckle there is a possible tropical depression like a "bazillion" miles to the east of us, well I guess since this years Hurricane season has been quiet they are all excited, they are even doing the "breaking news tonight at 11 " thingys

Well I am getting the " mom we need to go out soon" so I better get typing with

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? New clothing and seeing old friends.

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" I say it all the time, the little things are so little, I forget!

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Yes sometimes the school had brown covers bearing the school's name.

Think you could still make them ? Sure.

Puzzles :
crossword ? Yes.
or
Jigsaw ? no.
or
Word search ? Yes.

How many here still have any vinyl records ? I left them behind when I moved from NY to AZ.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,941,285 times
Just for Fun:

I think I carried all my books IN a brown grocery bag..

So when kids make their book covers these days, do they wonder whether to use paper or plastic?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,646,255 times
Karla, I stepped out to see if I could see any of the meteor shower last night. I saw several, but I was out early, around 11 PM. When I was in Cub Scouts our den leader always had a camp out in her back yard the week of this meteor shower. Two scouts would stay up for an hour each to keep the campfire going and to watch the meteor shower. It was neat to fall asleep watching the shooting stars.

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? Seeing some of my old friends. After about the 6th grade, what I looked forward to was weekends.

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" Watching the birds around the bird feeders.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? That's me! Or use the ones the grocery used to give out.

Think you could still make them ? My cousin did mine because he would draw all kinds of pictures on them for me.

Puzzles :
crossword ? Yup
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ? Yup

How many here still have any vinyl records ? I had several but forgot them in the move after the divorce. Didn't think about them till later. Decided not to ask the bi.., er, I mean my exwife about them.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,858,335 times
Good morning everyone! Some of you have been up very early - there are 4 pages of replies already! I'm still sipping my coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? A new lunchbox, and what cute boys would be in my class!

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" I am a silly person that loves laughing at the little things...a lot of antics by my kids or dog.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? I did and my kids have - now I buy the book sox!

Think you could still make them ? Could but wouldn't.

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ? Word search - is this the same as the Jumbles - those are my fav!

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Not any more!

Today in History:
1851 - Isaac Singer of New York City patented the double-treadle sewing machine on this day. Although a sewing machine had already been patented, Singer’s sewing machine was revolutionary, having a double treadle
1856 - Anthony Fass patents the accordion -I took accordian lessons - yes I did!
1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball
1879 - The first National Archery Association tournament began in Chicago, IL

Word of the Day:
plenipotentiary\plen-uh-puh-TEN-shee-air-ee; -shuh-ree\ , adjective:
1. Containing or conferring full power; invested with full power; as, "plenipotentiary license; plenipotentiary ministers."
noun:
1. A person invested with full power to transact any busines

Today is:
Julliene Fries Day
Sewing Machine Day
Baseball Fans Day
Truck Driver Day
National Vinyl Record Day

OOO the newsguy just said we are suppose to have lots of shooting starts tonight oh yeah right after they brought up the tropics

I am going to go take a look

See you all in the Am
Have a great day everyone! Today, I must step away from the computer!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,486,751 times
Good morning all.

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? Seeing old friends.

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" Sometimes my DH can be so simple. The other night we walked up top, our parking area and back yard behind our house, with the dog. She wandered off to do her business so my hubby and I got into the back of the Jeep to hide from her. She freaked out for a little while searching for us and then she went crazy when we got out of the car. See, it's the simple things. We were bored that night, lol.

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? Always. I loved writing all over them and making my own designs.

Think you could still make them ? Oh yeah.

Puzzles :
crossword ? Yes. I'm not very good at the harder ones but I try.
or
Jigsaw ? LOL. My mind drew a blank. Now I remember those. I used to do them with my grandmother when I was really young.
or
Word search ? Those are hubby's favorite but he needs the large print, lol.

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Not since the 80's.
[/b]

1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball Good for him. Now if hospitals remembered that there might be less staph infections.

1879 - The first National Archery Association tournament began in Chicago, IL Ooh. I like archery. I used to have my own bow.

Sewing Machine Day I miss my sewing machine.

Baseball Fans Day Nah. Money and greed destroyed the spirit of the game.

Truck Driver Day Yay for truck driver's and don't cut them off.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,858,335 times
How many of you had this lunchbox?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,315,988 times
Back to school pleasures?

Getting new clothes!!! LOL My husband would tell you I am still a bit of a "clotheshorse." So nothing's changed really.

Little things the most amusing?
This is one of those "you almost had to be there" type deals, but a couple of months or so ago, I was in a Barnes and Noble and someone had brought a large dog of some breed in (don't know why) but anyway, there was toddler and her father there. The guy with the dog told the dad that it was ok for the toddler to pet the dog, dog was friendly and the little girl was clearly fascinated with the large animal but a little shy too. So she kind of gingerly goes up to the dog and pets him on the feet and exclaims with a pacifier hanging out one side of her mouth, "puppy toes!" and then points at the big dog's eyes and says "puppy EYES!" It was just so hilarious and cute! Cutest thing I've seen in a long time, but again you almost had to be there to appreciate it!

Crossword Puzzles? No
Jigsaw? Stronger No (I used to have trouble even doing my son's when he was little!)
Word search? no, boring.

Still have some vinyl records?
I'm old! Of course, I do!

Brown bags covering books?
My mother covered mine for me a few times that way

Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,980,030 times

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? ~ friends mostly

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" ~ Taking the time to appreciate any of the little unimportant things in our lives is important from flowers in the yard to a phone call from a friend, these things that don’t make the evening news are always most important.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? ~ I did all the time and enjoyed having some of the best art covered books.

Think you could still make them ? ~ Oh yes,,, definitely

Puzzles :
crossword ? ~ No
or
Jigsaw ? ~ Yes
or
Word search ? ~ Yes

How many here still have any vinyl records ? ~ I’ve still got many left and yet sold hundreds in a garage sale years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics