Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,752,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
"Icing" of trees is something the professional citrus farmers have done.

Unless it is done under controlled conditions it can kill the plants

I have, when we have had a heavy frost , gone out and "washed" the frost off before it was able to do any damage.

We do get a few amateurs that ice their plants but this is usually because they forget to turn off their irrigation systems

woo hoo it has warmed up to a "toasty" 33, W/C is up to 26 !!!!

I was loving the heated seats in the car this morning !!!
My daughter totally forgot about the citrus farming in FL... Last week, she asked me why folks in FL were complaining about the cold, "Jeez Mom, that's nothing compared to the cold we get here." So yes, I shared the dire consequences of a deep freeze in the citrus growing parts of our country....and how such a freeze doesn't just affect the citrus growers' livlihood, but the citrus fruit supply across the nation as well. I wish I had seen this information first though....Thanks for sharing it, I'll have to share this with her as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,198,785 times

Today’s Questions:

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010? Things were tight in "09" but looking to break out of the pen in "10" meaning to get some financial freedom again in my life

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010? My career path with the company I work with

Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution?
No real resolution just some goals

When will you start working toward your 2010 New Year’s Resolution? Or have you already? Already in place

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows? Microsoft

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before? Nope

“Because I’m Suncoast Guy” Question:
Last Tuesday in my “Did you know…?” thread, we found out that 52% of Americans drink coffee.

Do you drink coffee? Current have a cup in my hand now thank you

If yes, is it Regular, Decaf, or other?
High test please, wire me up

Word of the Day:
gloze • \GLOHZ\ • verb
1 : to mask the true nature of : give a deceptively attractive appearance to -- often used with "over.
2 : to deal with (a subject or problem) too lightly or not at all -- often used with "over"

Today is:
Humiliation Day

HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY EVERYONE!! [/quote]

Gonna be a good day for staying warm and Football

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,628,339 times
On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010?

There was a blizzard leaving 16 inches of fresh snow on the 18th of December 2009 in southern WV. It nearly crippled the area - even though it occurred on a Friday, many businesses and government offices were still closed the following Tuesday. It was great! Snow cones for everyone!

Encore, encore!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,762,322 times
Well I've been sitting here reading the answers to today's question and there are really some great answers! I hope everyone has a great 2010 and get's everything they wished for. I guess now is a good time for me to answer!

Today’s Questions:

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010? The economy, businesses closing, the demand for HDTV!

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010? Stocks continue to go up.

Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution?To lose weight... blah, blah, blah... same old thing!

When will you start working toward your 2010 New Year’s Resolution? Or have you already? I will eventually.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows?
Microsoft Windows... one has XP and one has 7.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before? No, but I do have family there and would like to go there someday.

“Because I’m Suncoast Guy” Question:
Last Tuesday in my “Did you know…?” thread, we found out that 52% of Americans drink coffee.

Do you drink coffee? No... but love the smell of it!

If yes, is it Regular, Decaf, or other?

Today in History:

1872 1st patent list issued by US Patent Office
1888 Marvin C. Stone patents the drinking straw
1890 1st U.S. college-level dairy school opens at University of Wisconsin
1920 NY Yankees purchase Babe Ruth from Red Sox for $125,000.
1956 A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
1959 Alaska is admitted as the 49th U.S. State.
1967 The "Tonight Show" is shortened from 105 minutes to 90 minutes.
1977 Apple Computer is incorporated.
1987 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducts 1st female artist: Aretha Franklin.
1997 Bryant Gumbel co-hosted his final "Today" show on NBC-TV.

Word of the Day:
gloze • \GLOHZ\ • verb
1 : to mask the true nature of : give a deceptively attractive appearance to -- often used with "over.
2 : to deal with (a subject or problem) too lightly or not at all -- often used with "over"

Today is:
Festival of Sleep Day
Fruitcake Toss Day
Humiliation Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day
National Drinking Straw Day
National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day

This Week is:
New Year’s Resolutions Week (3rd -9th) It probably won't start this week for me!
Home Office Safety and Security Week (3rd – 9th)
Women’s Self Empowerment Week (4th – 10th)

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM

114 posts, read 244,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Today is:
Festival of Sleep Day
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................. .. wake me tomorrow

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,046,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
Come on up.
You have that invite open to all of us? And will you be there? And can some of us wait until it is summer there? When is summer there? I know that in Minnesota it lasts about a week (family lives there and that is what they tell us).[/quote]

That's not true! We have a lovely summer -June July Aug just like everyone else. It's our winters that can be the pits and sometimes we have a short spring.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,046,596 times
Come on up.[/quote]

Watch him, Ilene - he's never there and would probably have Fred there to greet you

Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,573,436 times
Hello from the frozen north! I'm in a little town called Oberlin Ohio. The snow is beautiful and the cold is refreshing! Do I was to stay here? Nope but I'd come back to visit for a month or so.

Changes from 2009? I didn't get to travel to different areas like I like too...but a new granddaughter was worth not traveling other places for.

I plan to travel more in 2010...and already have a trip planned...which will be answered below lol.

My 2010 resolution is really to be more organized....We'll see how that goes lol.

I like iced coffee with vanilla syrup...does that count?

Decaf after 1 or so. Or I'll be up all night.

I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend. I'll try to sneak in on the computer tomorrow before we fly home.

I have Microsoft at home but am on an Apple right now.

My big trip this year is to Alaska. I've very excited. We're going in June.
I'll remember it lol.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,234,150 times
Fine job filling in SCG and thanks for giving Karla a break.

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010?
Every last local, state & national incumbent's seat being replaced with somebody new!

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010?
For Americans to keep waking up & be involved in what is going on in our counties, states & country

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution?
Don't make them

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows?
Dell with Windows XP

Have you ever been to Alaska before?
No

Hey Mutt I know how you can put your house to good use that you are never at.......... want me to be the booking agent?

Do you drink coffee?
No never

Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,362,872 times
I had to move in 2009 and don't want to have to move again.

No resolutions---I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing since it's working.

I stopped in Alaska for refueling while on a flight to Asia.

Have a Dell computer with Windows.

I have to have a mug of coffee as soon as I get up. Can't get started otherwise.

National chocolate covered cherry day----better run out to get some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics