Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
We can't get my 83 year old Dad to use a computer.

He has a cell phone but claims he still can't figure out how to use it.
Just be careful about getting pushy in getting people to finally use the Internet. Remember, you may end up being responsible or guilty for the consequences.

For some people, it's seems like it takes an eternity for them to turn over a new leaf, change tracks, and when they do they can go full-tilt, making up for lost time.

And if this person has an obsessive side to them, an addictive nature, do you really want them coming after you later and saying something like:

Are you happy now? I'm totally hooked. I've gained all this weight, I don't exercise anymore, I don't take my dog for walks anymore, I curse my wife/husband now when they interrupt me, I can't pull myself away from these travel sites, it's all your fault!

I'm one of these people. I have a cellphone, have never texted anyone, don't even know how to store telephone numbers, know not one other feature of my phone but receiving messages, and dialing. Ignorance is bliss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I know several people who are internet-less...I find I don't stay in touch with them as much as my internet-connected friends...and I used to like writing letters...now it seems a chore...so the art of letter writing has flown away from my life. My fault, really.

Cell phones--I used to have one but I either forget to take it with me, it needed a charge or it rang at annoying times...I never get addicted to its uses..now, when I really need one, I borrow my DH's and we seem to get along just fine with one cell phone in the family.

I suspect that were I a teen-ager or in my 20's, I'd be as addicted to cellphones as they are--and probably Facebook, too. I remember spending huge amounts of time on a land-line when I was younger...with kids I'd just seen in school. What did we ever find to talk about so much?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
Everyone I know uses it....even my 79 year old MIL uses it!!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
My father 73 and my mother 70 have never ever used a computer not even once.Both do not have or ever used a cell phone. You can add digital camera and any other piece of modern technology to the list.My parents finally broke down and got a microwave last year....Talk about old school, you'll probably see their picture in the dictionary under dinosaurs

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Yes, but are your mother and father content and at peace? And are they free of debt? Sometimes modern technology does not equal peace of mind...

Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I know several people who don't use computers and have no desire to learn. On the other hand my 94 year old uncle learned about 10 years ago and he's a whiz on it.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
i would be lost without internet there's always something to do on the internet.. just the fact that you can look up some info in seconds makes it all worthwhile.. it beats the tellyvison

Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I'm sure there are a few out there who don't have a computer, but just about all the people I know person-to-person in my life pretty much have one. And I'm pretty sure if they have a computer, they'll be using the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics