Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 06:06 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
That wasn't my point. It was to let others have a different take on Albuquerque.

I'm sorry I had to hijack a thread about Ottawa to do so.
It's only CD man, you can let it go. People are going to have different opinions about ABQ, and Ottawa. That's just how it is. If this were an Ottawa vs Albuquerque thread, which are both relatively similar in size, based on which city was more urban to the core, Ottawa would be head and shoulders above ABQ.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
It's only CD man, you can let it go. People are going to have different opinions about ABQ, and Ottawa. That's just how it is. If this were an Ottawa vs Albuquerque thread, which are both relatively similar in size, based on which city was more urban to the core, Ottawa would be head and shoulders above ABQ.
Well, that different opinion on Albuquerque was lacking in this thread, so I gave it.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Well, that different opinion on Albuquerque was lacking in this thread, so I gave it.
You also have to take into account relativity.. For me (yes I know you're not impressed with Toronto) but even still it is a massive city compared to either Ottawa or Albuquerque so yes, Toronto will have more to do and everything is just well bigger and more of from festivals to museums to number of variety of restaurants, clubs/bars etc large scale amusement parks, acquariums, zoo's, shopping districts you name it so yes i'm sorry but both Ottawa and ABQ are well sleepy to what i'm used to.

I was looking at it solely from a particular tourist lens and not a local though.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You also have to take into account relativity.. For me (yes I know you're not impressed with Toronto) but even still it is a massive city compared to either Ottawa or Albuquerque so yes, Toronto will have more to do and everything is just well bigger and more of from festivals to museums to number of variety of restaurants, clubs/bars etc large scale amusement parks, acquariums, zoo's, shopping districts you name it so yes i'm sorry but both Ottawa and ABQ are well sleepy to what i'm used to.

I was looking at it solely from a particular tourist lens and not a local though.
Fair enough. And yes, of course, Albuquerque isn't on the level of Toronto in offerings or urbanity. But do most tourists from bigger cities automatically dismiss or not bother with smaller cities just because they aren't as urban or exciting as where they are from? I don't think so.

And all I was meaning in my rep comment to you is that Toronto tries to shake that image of being boring and bland, especially for a 'World-Class City', so I just wondered why you were disparaging a place like Albuquerque.

I like Toronto well enough even if I do get annoyed with some of its boosters, especially the ones who hold it up to be on the level of New York City.

When I was little all I knew about Toronto was the CN Tower and Skydome. As I've gotten older I've come to know much more about the city. My favorite thing now about the city is the TD Bank Center. I just love Mies' buildings and that is one of the best examples and certainly the best grouping of his buildings in the world.

I'll leave it at that since I've done enough hijacking.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Fair enough. And yes, of course, Albuquerque isn't on the level of Toronto in offerings or urbanity. But do most tourists from bigger cities automatically dismiss or not bother with smaller cities just because they aren't as urban or exciting as where they are from? I don't think so.

And all I was meaning in my rep comment to you is that Toronto tries to shake that image of being boring and bland, especially for a 'World-Class City', so I just wondered why you were disparaging a place like Albuquerque.

I like Toronto well enough even if I do get annoyed with some of its boosters, especially the ones who hold it up to be on the level of New York City.

When I was little all I knew about Toronto was the CN Tower and Skydome. As I've gotten older I've come to know much more about the city. My favorite thing now about the city is the TD Bank Center. I just love Mies' buildings and that is one of the best examples and certainly the best grouping of his buildings in the world.

I'll leave it at that since I've done enough hijacking.
With respect to ABQ - for a tourist anyway it doesn't see to have the same hook as Sante Fe.. If you read about N.M - not as a local but as a visitor Sante Fe seems to be the city that is the most talked about and just as a casual visitor anyway i'd have to agree - ABQ just wasn't very enticing from an urban perspective. With that said, I already admitted to being an ignorant outsider lol.. A local always knows best I've always maintained that so i'm glad you cleared the air about your city. Next time i'm in N.M and I will be back - I do love your state man so don't be all that hard on me dude lol - well i'll be sure to give it a more thorough look and check out things you recommended.

The Toronto bland image is just that - an image that some portray.. The city is anything but.. It has its bland parts for sure but just like you, as a local I find the city has infinite possibilities and endless things to do but it is to be explored by those who care to know instead of just listening to what they hear about from some quarters.. I'm impressed with your awareness of the TD Centre - one of his final works and some say his finest! Toronto isn't know as an architectural tour de force but it actually has some pretty outstanding pieces scattered about intermixed with well - blech too but it is a city with Libeskind, Mies, Gehry, Pei, Durel Stone, Calavatra, Rivell and very soon Sir Normal Foster to the mix.

Most people from Toronto don't compare it to NYC other than to provide some perspective in terms of its perch in Canada - its not in direct comparison to NYC - most Torontonians know and feel that NYC is just on another level..

Last edited by fusion2; 10-03-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I totally agree with this. Ottawa is only bilingual on paper, Montreal is bilingual in real life. It amazes me that people on the Ontario side spend hundreds of hours in French classes through their school years, and yet cannot understand a simple "je vais prendre un 6 pouces Subway Club avec tomates, mayonnaise et laitue s'il-vous-plaît"...
It's likely a psychological barrier as well. To use whatever French they do know in such a situation would seem like ''giving in'' to the other guy, I guess.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Default Ottawa is not boring!

I just came back from a second trip to Ottawa and the first in over two decades. Ottawa may be a small city compared to Toronto and Montreal but depending on what you are looking for, Ottawa isn't really that bad at all. It has a huge amount of family friendly activities such as museums, parks, monuments, the Rideau Canal, and of course Parliament. It even has a rural farm in the middle of the city! This was a big reason why I had a fun time in Ottawa as a kid when first visited and still had a fun time now. Ottawa's downtown is very bustling, artsy, and interesting compared to many American cities of the same size. Some of the architecture is grand and the views of the river from both the Ottawa side and the Gatineau side are outstanding. The ethnic neighborhoods such as Little Italy and Chinatown, though small, still retain enough character to interest visitors. OK, in terms of nightlife you'd probably be better off going to Montreal or Toronto but still, that's not a good way of judging the excitement of a city. You have to admit that it is kind of out of the ways which is why locals were surprised we drove there. I didn't see any other American plates in my short time there though I saw many in Montreal. I think Ottawa is trying hard to build up its image as a destination such as building up new rail transit (yes I did take a ride on the Trillium Line) and expanding its museums.

Let's just say I had much fun there and I will definitely visit again after both the OC Transpo Confederation Line and the History Museum Expansion is finished. I saw a glimpse of important Canadian history in the current 1867 Canada exhibit there but that's only a sample of what should be coming in a few years.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:03 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Oh might I add, even though Ottawa to me is not 50-50 bilingual (I'd say it was more 70 English-30 French), at least in the touristy areas, a French speaker should have no problem getting around. A lot of times, information servers in that region start with with a "Welcome" immediately followed by Bonjour! You don't get the same expression in Niagara Falls, Hamilton or Toronto.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

380 posts, read 431,183 times
I believe the tours and exhibits at all the museums are bilingual. The Ottawa Redblacks seem to be doing a better job at being bilingual than their predecessors the Renegades and the Rough Riders.

I think the general rule for Ottawa is that the further west you go the less likely it is to find people of Francophone descent, although I'm sure that there are exceptions to this rule.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Oh might I add, even though Ottawa to me is not 50-50 bilingual (I'd say it was more 70 English-30 French), at least in the touristy areas, a French speaker should have no problem getting around. A lot of times, information servers in that region start with with a "Welcome" immediately followed by [i]Bonjour! .
Well, stuff like museums (which are federal) tends to be pretty rigorously bilingual in Ottawa. No problem with French there usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau