Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 25,953 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if a lot of the younger bilingual people who are in the workforce have a tendency to move to Montreal. I get the impression that a lot of younger (20-30's) would be tempted to want to work in Montreal because of the nightlife and what it has to offer. Anyone got any info on this. Seems some of the posts here reflect that thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johmac View Post
I was wondering if a lot of the younger bilingual people who are in the workforce have a tendency to move to Montreal. I get the impression that a lot of younger (20-30's) would be tempted to want to work in Montreal because of the nightlife and what it has to offer. Anyone got any info on this. Seems some of the posts here reflect that thinking.
There is some movement from Ottawa by young people looking for excitement but it is only a small trickle. Most bilinguals in Ottawa are more anglo-oriented and so they prefer to stay in a place like Ottawa that is English-first/French-second as opposed to Montreal which is the reverse. There is also the politics that keeps people from moving there - Ottawa is a very patriotically Canadian place and to people raised there living in a place that has a remote chance of separating from Canada is anathema to most of them.

There is quite a bit more movement to Montreal from Gatineau, Ottawa's neighbour city in Quebec.

Overall more people move to Ottawa from Montreal than vice versa.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM

126,267 posts, read 19,036,909 times
I love everything about Ottawa and some of my kids studied there too and made a life for themselves there. Lots of places to go to and winter time is when we go up for Winterlude,skiing possibilities are not too far with cars.Can't understand how you dislike Ottawa You are also so close to the Quebec border,easily to spend a weekend there .My kids tell me night life became way better, great places to eat out and Gatineau Park is not very far either.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM

344 posts, read 812,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheburbs View Post
This town is ridiculously boring. I was so bored I wrote an EP about it and made it here. please enjoy my anger. https://soundcloud.com/onyxanura/set...mic-book-story
I used to hate Ottawa for being boring; it really was through the mid-70s when the Byward Market, Elgin and Bank streets had next to nothing in terms of restaurants/bars. After 5 pm it was largely a ghost town. That began to change around the mid-70s, with places like Daphne & Victor's restaurant and bar on William Street in the Market, and picked up momentum from the early 80s onwards. Plus there's Hull and Quebec right there. For the size of the city, Ottawa has matured and is impressive now, for its medium size, and Montreal is only 2 hours away.

If one pines for the big-city life and energy, which usually appeals in the teens, twenties, thirties, then do as I did and move to a truly big city; in my case NYC, or Montreal or TO.

In the meantime, until and unless you move, stop whinin' and start discovering new things about it and/or take it upon yourself to create something in Ottawa that addresses what you think is missing.

Last edited by sunluv; 07-03-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 AM

44 posts, read 43,774 times
It really depends on who you are and what your interests are. Sometimes you just need to settle for what the area you live in has to offer, if you don't want to do that, try to change the situation or move somewhere else.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
If not for being the national capital, Ottawa probably would have fewer people than Windsor.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM

344 posts, read 812,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If not for being the national capital, Ottawa probably would have fewer people than Windsor.
That's entirely speculative, besides which with the Hull-Gatineau area thrown in I rather doubt it. Besides which, it IS the capital, so it's all moot lol

Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,593 times
The most boring city in canada is Moncton NB

Old 11-22-2014, 01:42 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,959 times
I still don't understand why people think Ottawa is boring. It's second tier after Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in terms of interesting cities and things to do.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I still don't understand why people think Ottawa is boring. It's second tier after Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in terms of interesting cities and things to do.
The fact that it trails even Vancouver does mean it's very boring.
Ottawa has a relatively big population because it has a density half if Houston's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau