Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times

Advertisements

My new camera came today. Even though I'm sorry to see my old one go (I loved that camera), this one has a lot of new features that I also like. But, I'm sure the old one will be missed at times.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My new camera came today. Even though I'm sorry to see my old one go (I loved that camera), this one has a lot of new features that I also like. But, I'm sure the old one will be missed at times.

Cat
Looking forward to seeing the pics you take!

Old 04-22-2017, 06:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I rolled my eyes on that one too....but for a slightly different reason. One branch of my family came here with the Pilgrims after getting kicked out of England. For religious reasons. They got here and found there was no tolerance for their beliefs.. Instead they got kicked out of several colonies. One was actually tared and feathered. In church!

Never mind I've never heard "America was founded on religious tolerance." I have heard "America was founded on religious freedom." Big difference. Me thinks Ivanka is creating alternative facts.

How "tolerant" will her father be if religious houses are used to shelter immigrants? Or if people give shelter to immigrants because of their religious beliefs? My guess is...not very.

Religious freedom is equally hogwash IMO when my tribe was forbidden to hold their annual Sun Dance, (circa 1865) and later on the Native American Church was illegal untll early 20th century. I read in some places Native Americans even had to hide their sweat lodge from the white man. That is why I just shake my head in amazement at the alternative facts people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else really hate mockingbirds?
I love them! They are a blessing to me. But to each his own.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM

23,179 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Religious freedom is equally hogwash IMO when my tribe was forbidden to hold their annual Sun Dance, (circa 1865) and later on the Native American Church was illegal untll early 20th century. I read in some places Native Americans even had to hide their sweat lodge from the white man. That is why I just shake my head in amazement at the alternative facts people.

I love them! They are a blessing to me. But to each his own.

They always keep me awake on vacation, they sing all night long where there is light. Every time I go to the condo, one is outside singing at 230 in the morning. I love crows, I have two set of crows that come, 2 of them must live 30 miles from here cause when they take off food, it takes them a long time to get back, and one pair I can walk outside and call, and they come. They are like dogs, those crows, I buy big packages of chicken bones and they like them better when most of the meat is gone so they sit there and chew on them, maybe it's the excellent sauce I make. I generally just feed them cat food but they love a chicken bone and they be fighting over those little partridge farm smokies, or weenies. I pretty much speak crow, I know what they say when they are saying it, either there is food here, or let's go. If I put something out that they don't like, they snarl to tell the other not to eat it.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:53 AM

23,179 posts, read 10,474,991 times
I never see Ravens, always looking for ravens.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I never see Ravens, always looking for ravens.
Got quite a few ravens around here. They're much more cautious than crows around humans. And crows are plenty cautious until they come to trust you, as you've found and as I'm learning. There's a mated pair that I've been trying to befriend for a couple of years. For quite a while, they wouldn't land and take the food if I was still outside. Now they'll holler for me to bring them something if the cupboard is bare. Last year, they brought their two kids to have a nosh too.

The ice finally went out a few days ago. The loons, geese, ducks and herons are back.

Survived another winter in the boonies.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I rolled my eyes on that one too....but for a slightly different reason. One branch of my family came here with the Pilgrims after getting kicked out of England. For religious reasons. They got here and found there was no tolerance for their beliefs.. Instead they got kicked out of several colonies. One was actually tared and feathered. In church!

Never mind I've never heard "America was founded on religious tolerance." I have heard "America was founded on religious freedom." Big difference. Me thinks Ivanka is creating alternative facts.

How "tolerant" will her father be if religious houses are used to shelter immigrants? Or if people give shelter to immigrants because of their religious beliefs? My guess is...not very.

Yeah, I know I am responding kind of late to this post.

Actually, the Pilgrims went to Holland before coming to the "new world." Holland, indeed had religious freedom-something the Pilgrims hated-which is why they left Holland. They wanted a place where they can practice their intolerance.

Cat

Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM

A few more pics from the winter that was.

One of the crows I'm wooing, having a snowy snack.

On a clear day, he can see forever.

These are antlers I've found in previous Springs when the snow melts.

The smallest one was very likely left exposed for more than a single winter. In this close up, you can see where various critters have nibbled at it. Apparently, several nutrients are available but the most important to the nibblers is calcium and phosphorus.

The trees were sure pretty after a snowfall. But after 37 such snowfalls, I'm happy to see greenery again.

My loyal and cheerful year-round totem/friend surveys a white world.

When the days begin to warm and winter loses its grip, fog is common and adds ghostly beauty to the bay.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM

126,290 posts, read 19,074,632 times
Some real breathtaking photos you shot there. Thank you TroutDude for sharing. Especially the last 4 ones are beautiful and what a peaceful place.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks, Alm. Your kindness and positivity is inspiring. Long may you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism