Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I spent the better part of the last couple of days making some bone broth (I currently lean vegetarian, but I still eat some meat occasionally, and we had a frozen turkey carcass in the freezer from Thanksgiving). I now have a hardy flu-busting, immune-boosting, lentil veggie soup on the stove on this freezing, icy, overcast day. Just the smell of it is making me happy.
Flexitarian!

Same here. I was vegetarian for a couple of years, then added back fish. Then I was at a business dinner where they placed some rare beef in front me. I should have asked for the vegetarian option, but I looked at that red meat and craved it. Later on that evening I was feeling more alert and strong than I'd felt all day, and the next day I kept thinking how good I felt and wondered why. All of a sudden it dawned on me that it was the red meat. I must have been missing something that it gave me.

I still have vegetarian days, but I allow myself some meat. Also, I realized that sometimes there is importance in sharing a meal with someone you are close to, and that can be a priority. I keep in mind that that it was a living thing whose life was sacrificed so I could have that meal.

I make a good vegan lentil soup, too. Mine has spinach and tomatoes in it. I love the smell of it cooking on the stove.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Flexitarian!

Same here. I was vegetarian for a couple of years, then added back fish. Then I was at a business dinner where they placed some rare beef in front me. I should have asked for the vegetarian option, but I looked at that red meat and craved it. Later on that evening I was feeling more alert and strong than I'd felt all day, and the next day I kept thinking how good I felt and wondered why. All of a sudden it dawned on me that it was the red meat. I must have been missing something that it gave me.

I still have vegetarian days, but I allow myself some meat. Also, I realized that sometimes there is importance in sharing a meal with someone you are close to, and that can be a priority. I keep in mind that that it was a living thing whose life was sacrificed so I could have that meal.

I make a good vegan lentil soup, too. Mine has spinach and tomatoes in it. I love the smell of it cooking on the stove.
The recipe I used was supposed to have spinach too, added just before serving. I keep forgetting to add it.

I'm glad you're finding your optimal way of eating, MQ. My daughter is the one who started the vegetarian thing, not really out of choice but because she'd seen a movie in a class she took and couldn't get the images out of her head so couldn't eat meat anymore. The problem is, she's at college now and the vegetarian options aren't particularly quality or varied. Her health has suffered as a result. She's trying to add some meat back in, at least until she can have more control over what she eats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:02 PM

5,856 posts, read 5,297,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Flexitarian!

I would like to have vegetarian days but my "chef" likes his meat. Breakfast & lunch are always "fend for yourselves" but he always cooks dinner-a meat, side, & veggie. Then he always feeds me dessert. He just hands it all to me. If someone hands me food, I usually eat it. The dessert is part of the reason why I can't drop those last 10 lbs. Some days the dessert is oranges-which is ok in term of calories. Other days it is ice cream. When someone hands you a bowl of ice cream you can't refuse. Some days it is oranges AND ice cream. Then there is chocolate or chips or pastries that he makes. Sometimes it is a combination of some of those. And we always have a thing of yogurt before bed.

But, I did start a new exercise routine about 2 weeks ago. I am a tea-aholic. I drink I don't know how many cups of tea a day-caffeine in the morning, decafe/herbal in the afternoon/evening. As I wait for the water to heat up, I go up & down the stairs at least 3 times at a brisk pace. Well, I started at 3 times. I am now up to 4 times. I'm hoping that will off set the dessert. After two weeks, I already feel my legs & butt firming up. I just hope that I will keep this up.

Cat

Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The recipe I used was supposed to have spinach too, added just before serving. I keep forgetting to add it.

I'm glad you're finding your optimal way of eating, MQ. My daughter is the one who started the vegetarian thing, not really out of choice but because she'd seen a movie in a class she took and couldn't get the images out of her head so couldn't eat meat anymore. The problem is, she's at college now and the vegetarian options aren't particularly quality or varied. Her health has suffered as a result. She's trying to add some meat back in, at least until she can have more control over what she eats.
Mine became a vegetarian when she was in China for a college semester, and I think a lot of it was seeing some of the things they eat that we don't and maybe not knowing exactly what you were getting in your food. She eventually ate meat again after she got back. Then, four years ago, she and her bf watched some of those movies, and she went mostly vegan. Except for some "dairy encounters" with cheese and ice cream in weak moments, she eats a plant-based diet.

However, she is now dating a chef who is far from vegetarian. Recently they went to Spain to dine at two famous restaurants, and she ate some fish for the first time in years. She said she didn't really like it except for one dish. They're back in the USA, and she's back to vegan. She really wants to avoid dairy, not just because of animal abuse but also her own health.

My mother is on dialysis, and her protein is always low. The doctors urge her to eat more meat. She does, but they are always telling her to eat more. She is allergic to fish.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM

23,206 posts, read 10,500,373 times
I drove right past the grand canyon at night, I never saw it in the day, I always wished I would have waited till morning but a truck driver can't always stop.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:34 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I drove right past the grand canyon at night, I never saw it in the day, I always wished I would have waited till morning but a truck driver can't always stop.
That would be so frustrating! I don't think I remember you saying you were a truck driver, Hanni. Did you enjoy it?

Old 01-25-2019, 11:48 AM

5,537 posts, read 7,123,855 times
[what I would be enjoying playing all night driving around there.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9VFC6-Inw

Old 01-25-2019, 12:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
[what I would be enjoying playing all night driving around there.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9VFC6-Inw
Great tune from one of the greatest bands ever. RIP Lowell George.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,558,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My son’s middle name is Lowell after Lowell George .

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,558,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism