Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I felt like that was my first step in atoning for what I did to those grackles in the cedars all those years ago.
Since then, I've fed hundreds, probably thousands of grackles at my feeders. I think we're okay with each other now.

You rock. I mean, "Click-Grarrrr!!!"

I stopped feeding the birds on my front porch because my two quasi-feral cats were taking them down too often. Can I get a Click-Grarrrr!! for redbird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You rock. I mean, "Click-Grarrrr!!!"

I stopped feeding the birds on my front porch because my two quasi-feral cats were taking them down too often. Can I get a Click-Grarrrr!! for redbird?

I'm in the market for a cat but I'd keep him/her indoors. All my previous cat companions were outdoor cats but I simply have too many birds, squirrels, chipmunks and other critters hanging around the place now.

I've got great windows though, so a cat can have a fine old time whacking birds and bugs from the safe side of the glass. And, especially when winter comes on, I get a mouse or two in the house that can keep a cat employed indoors.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Most mornings and evenings the past couple months I've upwards of 80-some grackles visiting the buffet. A third or more are fledglings learning how to mooch.

When they settle in the trees pre or post-munch, they talk quietly to each other, sounding like a bunch of slightly rusty springs. But when there's 30+ of them, it truly sounds like hearing a bunch of conversations going on at once.

I'm ashamed to say that when I was 15, I shot a bunch of grackles sitting high atop some cedars, just because I could. I thought it important in those days that I prove I was a good shot with a gun.

Flash forward 30-some years and I'm giving my son a driving lesson on a lonely, lakefront road. He's at the wheel. I'm nervously scanning what's ahead.

On my right, as we pass a house at a sedate 25 mph, I saw a big cat leap and come down with a grackle smack dab betwixt its jaws.

"Pull over!" I hollered at my son.

He did and I stormed out of the car and marched toward the cat, closing the 50' gap with every stride.

The cat stopped, looking at me.

I kept marching forward and raised my right hand, pointing at the cat and saying "Drop!!" as if I speaking to a dog.

Much to my surprise and delight, he did just that. He opened his jaws and that grackle flew off with nary a lost feather.

I felt like that was my first step in atoning for what I did to those grackles in the cedars all those years ago. Since then, I've fed hundreds, probably thousands of grackles at my feeders. I think we're okay with each other now.
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL, I killed so many poor birds but damned if I haven't made up for it also. That's a really cool story, I bet my wife has saved 10 birds that way, she always had to have freaking 40 cats. I never saved one like that but I have seen my share of birds saved that way and it was always seriously cool to see the bird fly away.

Yeah, that's what I would have done, so happy your son was able to see that in action.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
What are you going to name him/her? Baby Hannibal?

I like that click-whistle they make. Around here they are primarily "townies", meaning I see them in town around McD's and Walmart, but never out in the country.

They are good at cleaning grasshoppers off the grill of my car while I shop.
Freakish at the Jackinthebox, mcd's and wallmart aint they? Same way in this town, a million of them in a tree between Jack and Mac.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'm in the market for a cat but I'd keep him/her indoors. All my previous cat companions were outdoor cats but I simply have too many birds, squirrels, chipmunks and other critters hanging around the place now.

I've got great windows though, so a cat can have a fine old time whacking birds and bugs from the safe side of the glass. And, especially when winter comes on, I get a mouse or two in the house that can keep a cat employed indoors.
I'd like to get one of thise tall cats without a tail. I don't know the name of them. My brain is mush right now.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I'd like to get one of thise tall cats without a tail. I don't know the name of them. My brain is mush right now.
Manx?

Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Did y'all see those dogs in Russia that learned to take the train each night to eat garbage and then they took the train home before the sun came up?

Strange.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Smart dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Manx?
Yes. Those serval cats look pretty awesome too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=serv...bDAOAQ_AUIBigB

Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Some people divide the world into cat people and dog people.

I'm definitely bi.

I totally get, and totally love, both.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Some people divide the world into cat people and dog people.

I'm definitely bi.

I totally get, and totally love, both.
I hate it when people say stupid things like you are a liberal if you like cats. I got one of those fwd fwd fwd emails like that.

I never liked cats until I moved to rural Oklahoma. There are always barn cats around.

We had a pair of twin kittens that I named Thunder and Lightning. I really grew to love those two. Then only Thunder was left. He was my friend and I don't make friends very easily.

Same story with our current cats. Their mother was feral and these two are the only survivors. They are allowed in the house in the winter. They know their birthplace, my man cave, and they love coming in the house during winter storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism