Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

TroutDude is right there's not much we can do to change these sorts of people. They are always going to be there.

It's tricky, I remember being that age myself. My first boss was creepy as heck, I couldn't bear to be around him. I think learning to deal with it is primarily something that comes with age. No we shouldn't have to put up with it, but I will say on the positive side, that things are a lot better than they used to be and whereas that sort of behaviour used to be the accepted norm, nowadays it isn't.

Fending this sort of thing off is something you learn to deal with, but for some people it definitely does not come naturally. My eldest daughter is stunningly beautiful IMO but has no confidence at all. She is painfully shy and I can't stress that enough. She would barely speak to a soul when she was a little tot and she's not much better now. It's just part of her personality, she's always been like it. She's not quite a teenager yet so I dread to think how she will deal with that sort of situation when she's 18.
I think the best we can do as parents is teach them to be aware, be smart about their surroundings, and to listen to their own instincts. If any time they are in danger, get out of there basically would be my advice.

I also agree, learning how to ignore / show confidence is a good tactic I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Trout, I absolutely know that, really. Like I said ... my frame of mind yesterday wasn't the best and it was a knee-jerk emotional reaction which, even at the time, I knew was unreasonable.

I agree with your assessment.
Understandable, Pleroo. Some idiot messed with your daughter. I wouldn't be at my best unless I could plant a foot in his backside.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Understandable, Pleroo. Some idiot messed with your daughter. I wouldn't be at my best unless I could plant a foot in his backside.
I hear you both/all.

I wasn't blessed with daughters but I have three younger sisters, two sis-in-laws, five nieces, two niece-in-laws, assorted cousins and ex-es of various descriptions.

My protective instinct is strong.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Winter comes sniffing around like a dog in the vicinity of something's semi-recent poop.

Pardon my literary license.

The wind, more often than not is from the north. And overnights now often flirt with, and below, freezing. I've brought in the plants I hope to winter over.

A young female red squirrel, a recent first-time mother, has come to trust me enough over the past year to mooch peanuts. Tonight, as the temperature plummeted and after she ate her fill of sunflower seeds from the nearby buffet, she stomped her way over to where I sat and over the next half-hour took five (5!) peanuts from my hand and hustled them off to her various caches.

The previous record was three (3!).

So, this tells me that things might get nippy around here for the next while.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Winter comes sniffing around like a dog in the vicinity of something's semi-recent poop.

This cracked me up. I'm gonna have to remember that saying. lol.

Quote:
The wind, more often than not is from the north. And overnights now often flirt with, and below, freezing. I've brought in the plants I hope to winter over.

A young female red squirrel, a recent first-time mother, has come to trust me enough over the past year to mooch peanuts. Tonight, as the temperature plummeted and after she ate her fill of sunflower seeds from the nearby buffet, she stomped her way over to where I sat and over the next half-hour took five (5!) peanuts from my hand and hustled them off to her various caches.

Cool about the squirrel. One time when I was in Okla visiting my sister (shortly after my brother-in-law passed away), I was out on the back porch having a cig (I have since quit). This squirrel came running up to me. It actually scared me because I have never seen a squirrel do that and I thought maybe it might have had rabies or something. When I told my sister, she told me that her husband used to sit out there all the time (he was a smoker) and would feed the squirrel. The squirrel was coming up to get some nuts. My sister threw him (or her) some nuts and (s)he was satisfied and went on her/his way. After that, I would take some nuts out with me when I went out. I didn't let the squirrel eat out of my hand which I'm sure it would have but I was still nervous that it might have been carrying some kind of disease. It probably wasn't but I didn't know for sure.

Cat

Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Old 10-27-2015, 08:07 PM

I'm glad you posted that MQ. Lovely shot. The moon's rising the past three nights has been increasingly majestic and beautiful. I've taken a few shots but at my rate of uploading, it'll be a few months before any are postable.

I'm not sure why, but each of the past three risings has brought this wonderful Nelly Furtado tune to mind. (But to tell ya' true, more than a few things bring it to mind. It's one of my faves.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPQ_M3yJTA

Old 10-27-2015, 11:55 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
This cracked me up. I'm gonna have to remember that saying. lol.

Cool about the squirrel. One time when I was in Okla visiting my sister (shortly after my brother-in-law passed away), I was out on the back porch having a cig (I have since quit). This squirrel came running up to me. It actually scared me because I have never seen a squirrel do that and I thought maybe it might have had rabies or something. When I told my sister, she told me that her husband used to sit out there all the time (he was a smoker) and would feed the squirrel. The squirrel was coming up to get some nuts. My sister threw him (or her) some nuts and (s)he was satisfied and went on her/his way. After that, I would take some nuts out with me when I went out. I didn't let the squirrel eat out of my hand which I'm sure it would have but I was still nervous that it might have been carrying some kind of disease. It probably wasn't but I didn't know for sure.

Cat

We used to have a black squirrel and it is still the only black squirrel I have ever seen. If somebody sat on our porch, that squirrel would slowly come over and crawl up your leg onto your chest because he was trained to eat out of shirt pockets.

Coolest thing anyone ever saw, people would hear of that squirrel and show up at our house being strangers asking about him.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 AM

My family owns some condos in Palestine Texas and there are cats everywhere, and you will be feeding cats and the skunks will come running. My mother would always get so mad when I was younger because there I would be, petting a skunk while he was eating cat food.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Animals will always tell you what is about to happen in the weather. I noticed a flock of geese over head way to early in the year and it almost frightened me but the sparrows haven't began their flight to Mexico yet, I get upset every year when they leave.

Most unusual thing I have seen this year is the sheer amount of wasps making their nests in the ground. When spring comes, there is going to be a very big wasp birthing. I saw the same thing with crickets one year and when they came, there was 6 inches of dead crickets all the way around the house.

The smell of so many millions of them dead was overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism