Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,283 times

Advertisements

A five year old still nursing? Good grief! There are some five year olds who could order a pizza delivery. I am sorry but a nursing five year old sounds insane to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
A five year old still nursing? Good grief! There are some five year olds who could order a pizza delivery. I am sorry but a nursing five year old sounds insane to me.
This is not about nursing in general. It is about nursing in public. I have yet to meet a family who let me know that they breastfed a child that old. They just don't do it out in the open. Well, at least most don't.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What? You didn't know that sort of thing is horribly unacceptable. The 5 year old suckling on his mother's breast at the bench in front of Macy's may see.
Yeah, a five year old sitting in the food court eating pizza and getting a swig from mom's breast when he gets thirsty. Real class.

Even a three year old sitting in the food court eating pizza, or a sandwich going over and pulling up mom's shirt for a sip.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Yeah, a five year old sitting in the food court eating pizza and getting a swig from mom's breast when he gets thirsty. Real class.

Even a three year old sitting in the food court eating pizza, or a sandwich going over and pulling up mom's shirt for a sip.
Where exactly have you personally seen such a thing?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Where exactly have you personally seen such a thing?
I haven't seen such a thing, but with people saying 3 and 5 year olds still breastfeeding is ok, I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I haven't seen such a thing, but with people saying 3 and 5 year olds still breastfeeding is ok, I'm just trying to put it into perspective.
Thank you for admitting this. I think this discussion has taken a turn for the bizarre. I doubt many people beyond immediate family or perhaps a supportive community (e.g., LLL) have actually witnessed a preschooler nursing. If a mother chooses to extend breastfeeding, it most likely takes place at home behind closed doors. And, personally, I think that's perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-30-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,656 times
Quote:
I doubt it. I nursed my oldest until she was nearly two-years-old. After her first birthday, nobody ever saw (or heard) us nurse. This whole thread is troll bait.
Troll bait? I suppose the news piece on 20/20 was troll bait as well?

I suppose all the times that we read in the newspapers about the airlines or a restaurant manager politely asked nursing Mothers to cover up is troll bait too? I suppose all the stories we hear about militant Mother's having nurse-in's because they were asked to cover up is nothing but troll bait as well? Oh please...this is a real issue that happens to hit the newspapers and TV airwaves pretty regularly!

Why is it so difficult for some to believe that a lot of people have a real aversion to public breastfeeding and really don't wanna see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It is spoiling and indulging when the parent no longer enjoys it and doesn't want to do it anymore.

Breastfeeding is between two people-a child and an adult. Some adults do believe that since they are the adult, they could put aside their own needs for a while until the child is ready to wean. If you are not comfortable doing this, then by all means don't continue nursing. It is spoiling at that point.

Your own words:
Breastfeeding is between a whole lot of other people when it's done in public. When a Mother whips it out in public, at that point she has subjected a bunch of other people to her personal choice and it's no longer just something between her and baby. She's involved the general public at that point.

Quote:
Oh, please. You meant it to be inflammatory. BTW, the phrase "tit for tat" is derived from the English saying "tip for tap." It has nothing to do with breasts. Try again.

When was the last time you saw something like that? As I've said before, even in the "everything goes" Bay Area where I lived for many years, I never saw women walking around completely exposed.

And, as far as your offense is concerned, I'm equally offended by blatant, proud, immodest use of vulgar language on a public forum by people who apparently believe that the discussion of breastfeeding makes it okay to do so.
Oh for God's sake...grow up! You hear much worse at Church on Sunday's when the preacher discusses hell fire and damnation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
lololololololol!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
T
Breastfeeding is between a whole lot of other people when it's done in public. When a Mother whips it out in public, at that point she has subjected a bunch of other people to her personal choice and it's no longer just something between her and baby. She's involved the general public at that point.
I will keep the discussion to nursing in public when the comments stay on this topic. I was referring to nursing in general because NoExcuses keeps on giving instructions on when to stop nursing all together.

Don't you enjoy comments like: maybe its a tapeworm, women are not cows, etc. This has nothing to do with nursing in public. These are comments against nursing period. These are two different topics.

Why don't you start another thread about how nursing should be banned all together?

It is funny that I am one of *those* kinds of parents but I have to explain the difference between when something is spoiling and not spoiling.

Last edited by crisan; 07-01-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,207,074 times
Quote:

And, as far as your offense is concerned, I'm equally offended by blatant, proud, immodest use of vulgar language on a public forum by people who apparently believe that the discussion of breastfeeding makes it okay to do so.

Oh for God's sake...grow up! You hear much worse at Church on Sunday's when the preacher discusses hell fire and damnation!

So let's all get this straight... it's perfectly fine for the anti-breastfeeding people to offend a large group of people (not just breastfeeders, but people who would rather not read/hear crude language). We're told to grow up - apparently mature grown ups use this type of language, so it should be acceptable (though I am fairly certain it's against the forum's ToS). We're told we're the ones who have no class... by the person who condones vulgar language. And for the record, just because something is said in a church (which is geared towards some people) doesn't mean it is acceptable for everyone.

So, the only people allowed to be offended is YOU, and everyone else had to deal with your offensive remarks and attitude. Sorry dude, seems like you put your foot in your mouth - hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Troll bait? I suppose the news piece on 20/20 was troll bait as well?

I suppose all the times that we read in the newspapers about the airlines or a restaurant manager politely asked nursing Mothers to cover up is troll bait too? I suppose all the stories we hear about militant Mother's having nurse-in's because they were asked to cover up is nothing but troll bait as well? Oh please...this is a real issue that happens to hit the newspapers and TV airwaves pretty regularly!

Why is it so difficult for some to believe that a lot of people have a real aversion to public breastfeeding and really don't wanna see it?

lololololololol!!!!!!!
It's like anything done in public. Some people want to put on a show. Not everyone wants to see the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting