Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why is it that some parents think nothing of allowing their children run wild in public places? My ex- sister in law works in a restaurant. Last night she was badly injured because an unsupervised BRAT ran in front of her while she had some wine glasses in her hand. In her effort not to injure him she wound up with 17 stitches, not to mention lost time at work. Parents: if you can't make your child behave get a sitter!

BRAT??
Why would you call a kid a brat?
Name calling isnt necessary, I blame the parents,
I would of went up to the parents and asked for their information, and let them know they will be contacted into paying the doctor bill for having their child unsupervised.
But too many parents do let their kids run around,
My daughter was once in a dressing room and some little boy kept crawling under the door, his mom wouldnt say anything so she took the little boy to his mom and told her she needed to watch her son and she also told the manager of the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why is it that some parents think nothing of allowing their children run wild in public places? My ex- sister in law works in a restaurant. Last night she was badly injured because an unsupervised BRAT ran in front of her while she had some wine glasses in her hand. In her effort not to injure him she wound up with 17 stitches, not to mention lost time at work. Parents: if you can't make your child behave get a sitter!
Parents need to control their children. Restaurant managers need to immediately invite those who don't to leave for the safety of all.

edited to add: A civil suit against the parents for medical expenses/lost wages would be appropriate, IMO.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-11-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 AM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
This is what really makes spanking effective. If it is not done in anger or fear. It is done matter-of-factly and the parent can be loving after. Some parents, unfortunately, go beyond this.

Regarding the story with the dead cat...do you really think that a spanking would make things right for that kid? The act itself changes not only the observers but the child who actually did it. It can never be undone.
I agree. One never punishes a child in anger. Anger from an adult is always obvious and instills the sense of physical bullying. I do believe that spanking may be affective in this situation (the cat beating child) namely because I believe this particular child lacked discipline at home. Having discipline somewhere in one’s life as a child is always beneficial and will place the question of what is acceptable and what is not in the child’s reasoning sphere.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 AM

638 posts, read 929,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That kid probably ended up being a serial killer. Cruelty towards animals is one of the warning signs you know. By the way that is just sick in the head.

I agree, in some ways. I believe correction can still occur at such young ages. We were in second grade at the time (around 7-8 years of age). This kid in my opinion could still be saved. Try correcting this behavior at a later age however would only end in disaster.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The standing in the booth thing is definitely rude, but I find that often times people without children have an unreasonable level of expectation, especially with younger children. In my experience, if the worst you have to deal with is a kid standing up in a booth occasionally looking around, then you're lucky.

Of course, I should preface this by stating that there are some restraunts/places that kids simply shouldn't be going to. Also, there are some places where people who are annoyed by kids normal behavior (that they interpret as being over the top rude and annoying) should avoid. For instance, I won't take my kids to the local restraunt/micro brewery, it's just not a place for kids. Conversely, if you want to avoid kids the local diner or Friendly's shouldn't be your first choice.
I love the food at the local diner. I'm a regular there. There are families who come in with kids, and usually those kids are pretty much as well behaved as you can get a kid to get for their ages. Obviously kids will get fidgety, babies will cry, toddlers will raise their voices. It's not hard to turn my hearing aides off (and leave them in, thus serving as ear plugs) and ignore it for the most part.

However, it's not easy to ignore these kids when you're in a booth, and across the glass on the aisle adjacent, there's a kid kicking his seat, which is attached to your seat on the other side. It's even worse, when the mom is spending the bulk of her time there raising her voice to scold her kid about kicking the seat. I'm not sure which to be irritated with more: the kid for doing the kicking, or the mom for yelling at her kid.

Obviously, the mom's yelling is just making the kid think it's a big joke, and he kicks harder, which will sometimes set the water in my glass splashing over the side. And that makes the mom yell louder, which has now attracted the attention of several tables worth of customers, the store manager, and all the waitresses.

THIS - is something that happens often. I shouldn't have to pick a different place to eat, just because some parents can't control their kids in public places and often become part of the problem rather than the solution, themselves.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I love the food at the local diner. I'm a regular there. There are families who come in with kids, and usually those kids are pretty much as well behaved as you can get a kid to get for their ages. Obviously kids will get fidgety, babies will cry, toddlers will raise their voices. It's not hard to turn my hearing aides off (and leave them in, thus serving as ear plugs) and ignore it for the most part.

However, it's not easy to ignore these kids when you're in a booth, and across the glass on the aisle adjacent, there's a kid kicking his seat, which is attached to your seat on the other side. It's even worse, when the mom is spending the bulk of her time there raising her voice to scold her kid about kicking the seat. I'm not sure which to be irritated with more: the kid for doing the kicking, or the mom for yelling at her kid.

Obviously, the mom's yelling is just making the kid think it's a big joke, and he kicks harder, which will sometimes set the water in my glass splashing over the side. And that makes the mom yell louder, which has now attracted the attention of several tables worth of customers, the store manager, and all the waitresses.

THIS - is something that happens often. I shouldn't have to pick a different place to eat, just because some parents can't control their kids in public places and often become part of the problem rather than the solution, themselves.
Where do you live where you have so many horrible encounters with kids and parents out in public? Seriously.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM

That doesn't only happen at the local diner Dorthy, it happens when we're on vacation in other states. Perhaps someone puts a sign on our car when we're not looking, that reads, "Ineffective parents, please follow us with your misbehaving children - so that you can interrupt us while we're trying to relax and enjoy our vacation."

Perhaps people who have kids who do this, don't notice it. Where do you live, Dorthy, where this never happens enough that you'd notice?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
That doesn't only happen at the local diner Dorthy, it happens when we're on vacation in other states. Perhaps someone puts a sign on our car when we're not looking, that reads, "Ineffective parents, please follow us with your misbehaving children - so that you can interrupt us while we're trying to relax and enjoy our vacation."

Perhaps people who have kids who do this, don't notice it. Where do you live, Dorthy, where this never happens enough that you'd notice?
Maybe there really is a sign on your car. It seems like you are constantly having horrible encounters with parents and kids out in public. My daughter doesn't do these things, she is very well behaved in public and I rarely encounter these types of situations when out and about. I've lived all over the US.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Well then you must be one family of the majority, which I included in the post you quoted - in the very second sentence:
Quote:
There are families who come in with kids, and usually those kids are pretty much as well behaved as you can get a kid to get for their ages.
So that would make your family one of the rule, rather than the exception. It's the exception people generally complain about. If the exception were the rule, it'd be the expected, not the excepted.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:

Am I the only parent that has ever considered the many uses of duct tape? Just kidding-maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting