Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM

830 posts, read 2,713,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
So it isn't as much the child as the parent? Parents can opt out of preschool for a million different reasons and none of them should be of concern to the kindergarten teacher who is there to teach the child, not the parent.Remember, the most brilliant minds on this earth did not attend preschool. It is unnecessary. In years past preschool did not exist and kids adjusted to kindergarten. It's a process no matter what year they start.
Um, no, that's not what I said.

I gave some examples of situations I've encountered, and one of those regarded the child's temperament. One kid I had in kindergarten last year who had a rough, rough time adjusting, and who did not attend preschool, also had a very fearful, anxious temperament.

My point was, I'm not convinced that the non-attendance of preschool had so much to do with the rough adjustment as much as the fearful temperament did. In other words, the child's fearful temperament was what resulted in the parents not choosing to send the child to preschool, and it's also why the child had a rough time starting kinder. NOT necessarily that the child had a rough time with K because he didn't go to pre-K. Possibly he would have had an easier time beginning K if he had, possibly not.

I agree - parents can decide whether or not to send their kids to pre-K. It's not mandatory. It may be more helpful for some kids than others, and as a teacher I'm certainly going to expect to encounter kids who didn't have preschool experience and do what I need to do. Not sure why there's this hostility emanating from your post, and why it's not my concern any more than its not yours. I think that as a teacher, I can be interested in the subject, even as I accept the decision (or non-decision) the parents make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Confused on the stereotyping as I guess it would be ok to assume you are terrified of your kids being in the real world and have an authority complex hence why you homeschool?

One day, the kids are going to be out of sight of Mommy & keeping the ball & chain on them until they are 18 isn't going to help them in anyway.

Stating that those who send their children to traditional preschool sit around all day to watch tv is ignorant at best...again, confusing yet maybe not surprising coming from a homeschooling parent??

Really, one of the best ways to see how your child is doing is their interaction in life AWAY from parents.

Whatever method a parent chooses for "THEIR" family is hopefully best but in no way means that is the one & only right way.

As for wait lists that were mentioned, our preschool only has 24 openings & last year had over 90 apply....
What stereotyping? I never said that those who send their kids to preschool watch TV all day. I said that IF you watch TV all day, then preschool is definitely a good idea. The topic of the OP was not "what kinds of parents send their kids to preschool?" The topic was "Is preschool necessary?" I think that when you read the word "homeschool," you immediately (and incorrectly) assumed that I think that parents who send their kids to school are bad parents. Please read what's actually written.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
If all you did all day was sit around watching soap operas, then yes, I'd recommend preschool (an all-day program, preferably!).

Since you are educating your daughter in the "real world," however, then a preschool environment is not necessary.

We homeschool, so we never considered preschool for our kids. With that said, we did a lot of "mom and me" type activities at that age, story hour at the library, Children's Church on Sundays, invited friends over and went to friends' houses, etc. It's important for kids to learn how to interact with other children, and IMO, doing so under the supervision of Mom is preferable. Good job, mom!
this sounds like helicopter parenting to me. It is possible to send a child to preschool 2 or 3 half days/week and still do all the other activities that have been mentioned. Preschool teaches them entirely different things than going to museums, the library, and having play dates. You just can't get the classroom experience anyplace other than in a class room. But, yes, if you are going to homeschool anyway, then I guess there isn't as much of a reason to put them in a classroom setting in the first place.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM

556 posts, read 798,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
this sounds like helicopter parenting to me. It is possible to send a child to preschool 2 or 3 half days/week and still do all the other activities that have been mentioned. Preschool teaches them entirely different things than going to museums, the library, and having play dates. You just can't get the classroom experience anyplace other than in a class room. But, yes, if you are going to homeschool anyway, then I guess there isn't as much of a reason to put them in a classroom setting in the first place.
That was how my sons preK was, 4 days a week from 8:35 - 11:05 am. It was great!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
Helicopter parenting refers to parents who try to control every aspect of their child's lives. It has nothing to do with the amount of time parents spend with their kids or who is the one supervising the child (parent or teacher). Helicopter parents don't allow their children the chance to make their own mistakes, solve their own problems, overcome obstacles or explore potentially dangerous situations. One can still spend a lot of time with their children and not be helicopter parents. When a parent allows their children the opportunity to make their own decisions, mistakes and to not jump into to rescue them anytime things don't go their way they are not being a helicopter parent even if they spend the majority of their time together. Whether a child is homeschooled or in school full time is completely irrelevant.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Helicopter parenting refers to parents who try to control every aspect of their child's lives. It has nothing to do with the amount of time parents spend with their kids or who is the one supervising the child (parent or teacher). Helicopter parents don't allow their children the chance to make their own mistakes, solve their own problems, overcome obstacles or explore potentially dangerous situations. One can still spend a lot of time with their children and not be helicopter parents. When a parent allows their children the opportunity to make their own decisions, mistakes and to not jump into to rescue them anytime things don't go their way they are not being a helicopter parent even if they spend the majority of their time together. Whether a child is homeschooled or in school full time is completely irrelevant.
well, maybe "helicopter" is the wrong term, but I always wonder what, exactly, people are afraid of when they won't let their kids out of their sight for preschool or anything else.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Quote:
well, maybe "helicopter" is the wrong term, but I always wonder what, exactly, people are afraid of when they won't let their kids out of their sight for preschool or anything else.
Why do parents have to be 'afraid' of anything to keep their children home until kindergarten. From birth to schoolage (kindergarten) is the only time a child has exclusively with mom and dad. There is no 'need' to send them when it isn't necessary.

Keeping kids home until it's time for school gives children a firm foundation to build on as they grow. They will have the rest of their lives to go by someone elses rules.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
There are lots of places that kids can go to be tended to by other adults besides school. I choose not to send my children to school for 35 hours per week, but they still spend a good bit of time away from me. It seems that parents are accused of "helicoptering" whenever they take an active interest in their kids or want to spend time with them. Frankly, I didn't have children to send them off to the equivalent of a full-time job at the age of three. Other may feel differently, and that's fine for them. It woudln't work for me, though.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
I have to agree with No Excuses. Fear has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
There are lots of places that kids can go to be tended to by other adults besides school. I choose not to send my children to school for 35 hours per week, but they still spend a good bit of time away from me. It seems that parents are accused of "helicoptering" whenever they take an active interest in their kids or want to spend time with them. Frankly, I didn't have children to send them off to the equivalent of a full-time job at the age of three. Other may feel differently, and that's fine for them. It woudln't work for me, though.
who said preschool has to be 35-40 hours/week???? That is not the norm, as far as I know. Again (for the 3rd or so time in this thread) it is 2-3 half days/week. Every preschool I know has similar hours. That's 6-9 hours/week. And NOT sending your 4 yo to preschool in no way means you are NOT taking an active interest in your kids, or not spending any time with them. There are still plenty of hours left in the week after the 6-9 they spend at preschool. I really don't want this thread to turn into a big argument. If it heads that way, I think I'll bow out.

Even kinder here is only 15 hours/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting