Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Yeah, we didn't play tag and cops/robbers with parents. It was more board games and some legos and then catch and football once we got a little older. This wasn't that long ago, either.
The only recreational thing I remember doing with my parents was pitching for softball. They didn't play Legos or board games with us really. My sisters and I did that together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The only recreational thing I remember doing with my parents was pitching for softball. They didn't play Legos or board games with us really. My sisters and I did that together.
Ditto. My dad coached softball for me and my sister (he secretly wishes he had a son) and I had no interest. I remember picking dandelions and writing my name in the outfield dirt.

I dont really remember playing with my parents that much since I had a sister. We did lots of board games however.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
When I was young we played lots of board games...Sorry! was a favorite. My parents gave up trying to make me into an athlete (see Ann Hathaway's character in Princess Diaries....)...I could play cribbage pretty well by the time I was 10 though. My dad also spent time teaching me to draw and explaining perspective etc. That kind of thing.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 PM

305 posts, read 655,386 times
Some games are boring. But that's a personality difference. It's ok to pick and choose some things to do together as long as the child enjoys them,too. Not playing Barbie won't traumatize them, but not playing at all at least won't help with feeling bonded and it certainly won't create memories.

I play things I don't like with my kids,too. You know, suck it up. I hate crafts, both kids love them so I force myself at least occasionally. And I never regret it because it feels good doing the right thing.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
Some games are boring. But that's a personality difference. It's ok to pick and choose some things to do together as long as the child enjoys them,too. Not playing Barbie won't traumatize them, but not playing at all at least won't help with feeling bonded and it certainly won't create memories.

I play things I don't like with my kids,too. You know, suck it up. I hate crafts, both kids love them so I force myself at least occasionally. And I never regret it because it feels good doing the right thing.
I, along with others whose parents didn't play with them, have plenty of awesome memories with my parents. We may not have played, but my dad took us to baseball games, hockey games, movies, air shows, was involved with our sports, and was involved with our school. My mom did stuff with us, too. We took family vacations places, and we have plenty of awesome memories doing things with our parents that are not playing together.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
I think I read in a Dear Abby column once about a woman whose mother, when she was growing up, found playing children's games very boring. So instead, she played with her kids her way. She would take them out in nature and point things out. This was interesting to both her and to her kids. Hey, whatever works. At least the woman spent time with her kids and her grown daughter remembers that. I think that's a good idea - to tailor some adult activities to include and interest the kids. That way, neither parents or kids get bored. Sometimes you can play the kids' games, sometimes you can do something that's interesting to the adult too.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creek hollow View Post

playing dress up & looking like a freak when the doorbell rings....

Lmao!!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I, along with others whose parents didn't play with them, have plenty of awesome memories with my parents. We may not have played, but my dad took us to baseball games, hockey games, movies, air shows, was involved with our sports, and was involved with our school. My mom did stuff with us, too. We took family vacations places, and we have plenty of awesome memories doing things with our parents that are not playing together.
Agreed. We didn't play GI Joes but we still did plenty of bonding.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
There is nothing remotely interesting about hours of Candyland, unless it's played with tequilla and other adults.
Yes, I have to confess I was bored playing this game and other things with my son though I loved him dearly. One thing I liked which was kind of a compromise on this issue was watching cartoons with him. I know that sounds a bit boring too, but for some reason I liked that and he liked me watching with him.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
I enjoy reading, board games, cards etc.... I don't particularly enjoy watching them play computer games or playing cars/dolls. I just don't know what to do with them for more than 2 minutes.

I am a really good play kitchen guest and build awesome lego buildings/parks for the animals. I can build neat train tracks but playing trains is difficult.

I am better at showing/telling at the museum or park, blowing bubbles, doing silly stories, dancing around and singing songs. I am not good at sitting and pretending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting