Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

We've volunteered at the "soup" kitchen via the boy scouts in the past. It involved helping prepare and serve the meals.

Whenever we have large amounts of extra food, I take it down to donate to the kitchen. Ways I have extra food is if my son and husband both get a deer in deer season. Our family can only consume one deer per year, so I take the other deer meet to the "soup" kitchen directly from the butcher. Another way I have extra food is my husband's company will sometimes have mass quantities of food that it considers undeliverable, for whatever safety standards, when there is really nothing wrong with it at all. We will rent a truck and take the food to the "soup" kitchen. Both deer meet and large donations of food involve calling the kitchen ahead of time so they can make arrangements to take in large quantities of food.

Like your area of the country, it's cold here too. I've never done it, but there are news stories of people, sometimes children, who collect blankets and then take them down to the streets and give them to the homeless. You could go to your church and ask the church to be a collection point---the church will probably agree to it if you are in charge of everything from accepting, sorting and delivering. If you aren't comfortable going into the streets on your own, you can contact a homeless shelter and make arrangements to deliver there.

Call a homeless shelter and ask what they need most right now. For example, the current need might gloves and hats.

Or you can just call around to the nonprofits to find out what you can do. You might have a specific talent that can be of best service.

You can start your own nonprofit. I started one seven years ago for disaster relief because I identified a weakness in the current services available when disaters strike.

Whatever you end up doing, let us know! I love hearing people's volunteer stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM

I noticed you dont' belong to a church. That's okay. You don't need to belong to a church to get involved in volunteer efforts at a church. You can also affiliate a self effort with a church by talking with the pastor. The reason affiliating a self effort is helpful is you can run everything through their nonprofit to avoid tax problems until you establish your own nonprofit. ANY church will agree to be a collection point for blankets and coats, regardless of your affiliation.

Another way to collect food is to do a food drive by asking area grocery stores to allow you to put out boxes. You have to affiliate yourself with a nonprofit, which is as simple as contacting the nonprofit and asking if you can do a food drive on their behalf.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Bear in mind, that some of these "church-based" food pantries and soup kitchens are simply that: church-based. Meaning, the run their operation out of a church, but are not actually affiliated with the church or its denomination at all. Many churches donate space to varying homeless organizations as part of their community charitable work.

When I lived in Boston, I often volunteered for a soup kitchen in Harvard Square. On Friday nights, they had accoustic performances by local musicians in the main room, and the audience was primarily homeless people, or people "down on their luck" who needed to get warm in the winter. I occasionally performed, and occasionally helped give out the hot apple cider, which was also donated. We had donated day-old bread from the bakery in the area, sometimes cookies, sometimes area folks would collect and donate a couple of chickens or make soup - we really never knew what we were going to get. And that was just Friday nights in the wintertime. We served everyone with dignity and respect.

Many of these folks had homes, but were the "medicated rejects" from hospitals that just couldn't keep mental patients long-term and had to send them out into the streets. Patients who had no insurance, but desperately needed more care than they could afford to get, and were "capable" of surviving on their own (but not very successful at it).

I ended up getting to know a lot of the regulars, and you'd be surprised at how fascinating some of their stories are. To me, it was a gift FROM them. Not a gift TO them, for me to spend time in their company serving them or singing to them. I still miss it, and the Harvard Square people, very much.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I noticed you dont' belong to a church. That's okay. You don't need to belong to a church to get involved in volunteer efforts at a church. You can also affiliate a self effort with a church by talking with the pastor. The reason affiliating a self effort is helpful is you can run everything through their nonprofit to avoid tax problems until you establish your own nonprofit. ANY church will agree to be a collection point for blankets and coats, regardless of your affiliation.

Another way to collect food is to do a food drive by asking area grocery stores to allow you to put out boxes. You have to affiliate yourself with a nonprofit, which is as simple as contacting the nonprofit and asking if you can do a food drive on their behalf.
Hmmm, that's very interesting. Actually we met a pastor of a neighborhood church in the Chinese take out down the street. She noticed we were new to the hood, and introduced herself. She was very interesting, she said she was a "ghetto pastor" that grew up in the Bronx, and has a very rough history. We took DD to the neighborhood Halloween party at the church, which was fun, but we don't attend the church per se.
But she might be a good place to start.

I think those are great ideas, Hopes, but I don't know anything at all about it so I thought I might start off with something a little smaller.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Yes, The URM is the "famous" one on Skid Row.

I worked with a church that was, believe it or not, made up of bikers who had found the Lord. (Though I wasn't a member of that church.) They had set themselves up as a food and clothing distribution center for the poor. They also served meals. Very street level.

It doesn't matter if you are religious. Most churches I've worked with just appreciate the warm bodies helping out. Check with the Catholic Churches in your area. They usually have programs for the poor. Especially if there is a large immigrant population in the area. Catholic Charities (separate from various churches individual programs) is a major charity and they do terrific work that is recognized by a lot of non-Catholics.

If you are in a city with a homeless population I'd check out the parks where they congregate. Very often there are people who give out food at set times. You can talk to those volunteers and look into it.

Two of my favorite groups are Children of the Night (works with child prostitutes) and Covenant House (Homeless - especially teen run-aways.) I know they are in L.A. but I THINK both have outreaches in NYC if you are near there. Also the USO! Love the USO who have centers serving snacks and drinks in airports for our travelling servicemen and women.

Good for you Finster. Just doing SOMETHING will be a blessing to many. (I know the homeless L.A. problem. Your buying coffee for those people was a blessing for them.)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Actually we met a pastor of a neighborhood church in the Chinese take out down the street. She noticed we were new to the hood, and introduced herself. She was very interesting, she said she was a "ghetto pastor" that grew up in the Bronx, and has a very rough history.
Ask around and check her out. I've known people I'd call street pastors and some of them are very legit. History of drugs, etc. Working with them isn't for everyone but I'm the type that is comfortable with them. The legit ones know the individual people and families who need help.

You will know this from AA: The people who have had a true religious or "higher power" conversion are often the ones fighting the wars because they've been there themselves.

Oh! Forgot another favorite charity of mine. Salvation Army! They are the worker bees!! Very legit. They have all kinds of programs. God bless them. With various earthquakes, brush fires, etc in So Cal my extended family and friends have been helped by them MANY times. I cannot pass a kettle without dropping in something. Nothing but wanderful stories to tell about the Salvation Army.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hmmm, that's very interesting. Actually we met a pastor of a neighborhood church in the Chinese take out down the street. She noticed we were new to the hood, and introduced herself. She was very interesting, she said she was a "ghetto pastor" that grew up in the Bronx, and has a very rough history. We took DD to the neighborhood Halloween party at the church, which was fun, but we don't attend the church per se.
But she might be a good place to start.
She's a great place to start then! Go talk to her at her church. Tell her you'd like to help the homeless and you need guidance on how to start doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ask around and check her out. I've known people I'd call street pastors and some of them are very legit. History of drugs, etc. Working with them isn't for everyone but I'm the type that is comfortable with them. The legit ones know the individual people and families who need help.

You will know this from AA: The people who have had a true religious or "higher power" conversion are often the ones fighting the wars because they've been there themselves.
She has a position at an actual church. Nobody would attend her church if she wasn't legit. But it's good to consider the religious affiliation of the church. If it's an independent, I'd investigate. If it's affiliated with a larger established church denomination that has accountability, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh! Forgot another favorite charity of mine. Salvation Army! They are the worker bees!! Very legit. They have all kinds of programs. God bless them. With various earthquakes, brush fires, etc in So Cal my extended family and friends have been helped by them MANY times. I cannot pass a kettle without dropping in something. Nothing but wanderful stories to tell about the Salvation Army.
My experience with the Salvation Army as a volunteer during a natural disaster is the opposite. Same with the Red Cross. That's why I started a local disater relief nonprofit. These large organizations don't do a good enough job of meeting local needs. Much of the donations go towards advertising for more donations and paying high level salaries compared to what goes to actually helping people.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Finster check and see if there is a hands-on in your area. They have an extensive list of a variety of opportunities. I have found the information very helpful finding volunteer opportunities in my area.

HandsOn Network

Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My experience with the Salvation Army as a volunteer during a natural disaster is the opposite. Same with the Red Cross. That's why I started a local disater relief nonprofit. These large organizations don't do a good enough job of meeting local needs. Much of the donations go towards advertising for more donations and paying high level salaries compared to what goes to actually helping people.
The Salvation Army has paid for housing for numerous friends burned out of their homes. Also set up aid centers after earthquakes where we could go use the phones and get something to eat. I can tell you that two hours after a major quake hits, when you are wandering around in your night clothes in shock, the Salvation Army is there and the local media is telling you where they are at. So, for the So Cal Salvation Army at least, I have nothing but the warm fuzzies.

BTW: I commend you for what you've done Hopes. Big thumbs up!!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-15-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,732 times
Hi Finster! Our family volunteers quite a bit. The best bet is to probably see if there is some kind of centralized place where organizations register for volunteers, and then go from there. Our community has a volunteer network. Your local newspaper or news stations may know of volunteer opportunities. Through our volunteer network, my family has done everything from planting community gardens to helping serve meals at the shelter to washing dogs at the animal rescue.

I can't tell you how much volunteering has made a difference in our lives. It has made us feel more connected with our community, and we've made so many new and wonderful friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting