Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
or give your daughter cash and your son a bag lunch.
Yep. Close both accounts. Give the dd cash to buy her lunches and have ds make his own brown bag lunches until he has brown bagged (a.k.a. "repaid") his debt, including transaction fees. Do an accounting and show him what he has done, how much he has over-run his account, and how long it will take him to pay it back by making and taking his own school lunches.

He has to learn now. You are not doing him any favors to not make this a very strict lesson. Imagine if he was doing this with a debit card (which, in a way, he is doing exactly that) !!! Kids have to learn that with freedom comes responsibility. Only by acting responsibly should he earn the freedom of a school lunch account.

You may have to flat out cancel the accounts for the rest of the semester or the rest of the school year. If so, your dd will never allow your ds to forget that lesson.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
My interpretation of this, combined with all the other posts of this poster I've seen:

1. I can afford to buy clothes my children don't actually need, and never asked for, and then try to force my children to earn these clothes that they don't need and never asked for. I can afford to do this, because they were just too cute to pass up.

2. I am on a limited budget and can't afford to feed my son in the manner he chooses to eat.

3. I can, however, afford to buy christmas decorations on a regular enough basis that we now have 25 boxes of them, collected over the years.

4. I am in dire straights, however, in that I actually need to find out if my family qualifies for reduced of free lunches.

5. I can ask about #4 with a straight face, while mentioning that I'm paying the cost of homes in two different states. Yes, I moved out of one while still having to be responsible for it, and into another one, taking on that added responsibility. Which somehow I can afford, though I can't afford to feed my children.

6. I know this, and have been advised several times, over the course of many months, in several threads, on the city-data forums, and continue to do the same things over and over again.

7. I do the same things over and over again, and expect a different outcome.

8. I am surprised when the desired outcome doesn't happen, and post on the forums asking why.

Do I have all that right?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM

556 posts, read 798,565 times
Brown bag. He's probably hungry. Also, you can always make him a "take it" breakfast, bacon egg and cheese on a enlish muffin, biscuit or toast, or even a home made wakkle with bacon in the batter. There's all kinds of things you can make.

Why do you only get paid once a month? I've never heard of a JOB that pays like that

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My interpretation of this, combined with all the other posts of this poster I've seen:

1. I can afford to buy clothes my children don't actually need, and never asked for, and then try to force my children to earn these clothes that they don't need and never asked for. I can afford to do this, because they were just too cute to pass up.

2. I am on a limited budget and can't afford to feed my son in the manner he chooses to eat.

3. I can, however, afford to buy christmas decorations on a regular enough basis that we now have 25 boxes of them, collected over the years.

4. I am in dire straights, however, in that I actually need to find out if my family qualifies for reduced of free lunches.

5. I can ask about #4 with a straight face, while mentioning that I'm paying the cost of homes in two different states. Yes, I moved out of one while still having to be responsible for it, and into another one, taking on that added responsibility. Which somehow I can afford, though I can't afford to feed my children.

6. I know this, and have been advised several times, over the course of many months, in several threads, on the city-data forums, and continue to do the same things over and over again.

8. I am surprised when the desired outcome doesn't happen, and post on the forums asking why.

Yes, you seem to have it right, BUT you left out what matters. If the OP actually feeds her kids, stops wasting money on what she chooses to, stops being juvenile and holding grudges against her kids, well, she wouldn't have much to post about now would she?

Oh, AND, her son would have a full belly and smell like Axe

Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Oh, don't you have anything better to do than analyze me? Those Christmas ornaments were bought years ago, before our finances were strained. Or, before my dh job was sent to Indai, or haven't you been watching the news? We're in an economic depression, its taken its toll on us, too.

Insofar as "not feeding my child in the manner he chooses to eat" well, sorry, if he "chooses" to not eat breakfast here then goes to school and buys it, sorry, too bad. He doesn't "choose" when he eats breakfast, he either eats what's offered him when its offered (which is here at home) or he waits until lunch.

Why does it bother you so much I bought my kids a few shirts, then e to about $40 total, for 4 shirts, like my kids are not supposed to have clothes?

And yes, our circumstances financially are strained, so, I looked into reduced lunch. Excuse me for asking what resources are available to us, I doubt you would? BTW, our kids aren't on reduced lunch, nor did I apply. Seems to rub you the wrong way that I even considered it?

If you're following my other threads (something tells me you are, you're that "type" ) you also know I have an elderly relative we're investigating signing up for medicaid, food stamps, etc. hey, he has some nice clothes, too, and a ton of Christmas ornaments, guess that disqualfies him?

Now, you are on ignore, so have fun!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Brown bag. He's probably hungry. Also, you can always make him a "take it" breakfast, bacon egg and cheese on a enlish muffin, biscuit or toast, or even a home made wakkle with bacon in the batter. There's all kinds of things you can make.

Why do you only get paid once a month? I've never heard of a JOB that pays like that
my parents were teachers and only got paid once/month.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, don't you have anything better to do than analyze me? Those Christmas ornaments were bought years ago, before our finances were strained. Or, before my dh job was sent to Indai, or haven't you been watching the news? We're in an economic depression, its taken its toll on us, too.

Insofar as "not feeding my child in the manner he chooses to eat" well, sorry, if he "chooses" to not eat breakfast here then goes to school and buys it, sorry, too bad. He doesn't "choose" when he eats breakfast, he either eats what's offered him when its offered (which is here at home) or he waits until lunch.

Why does it bother you so much I bought my kids a few shirts, then e to about $40 total, for 4 shirts, like my kids are not supposed to have clothes?

And yes, our circumstances financially are strained, so, I looked into reduced lunch. Excuse me for asking what resources are available to us, I doubt you would? BTW, our kids aren't on reduced lunch, nor did I apply. Seems to rub you the wrong way that I even considered it?

If you're following my other threads (something tells me you are, you're that "type" ) you also know I have an elderly relative we're investigating signing up for medicaid, food stamps, etc. hey, he has some nice clothes, too, and a ton of Christmas ornaments, guess that disqualfies him?

Since she is on ignore I feel inclined to comment.

If your son is still HUNGRY after you feed him (because before you said he refused your breakfast and now you say he eats that AND at school) then he needs more to eat. Teens, especially boys, tend to be very hungry.

We are in a REcession, not a DEPression. If you lived through the latter you'd realize we are in the former.

If you own an asset, like a home, and are paying to libve somewhere else you shouldn't qualify for anything. If that were the case I would gladly buy a house and let welfare pay for it.

Oh.....and..........get medication.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

It's not that we TRY to analyze you. It's that your posts are like lightning rods for people to say duh! They always seem to be about something preventable or something common sense. It's not about you buying shirts for your kids. It is about that COMBINED with talking about your financial strain and inquiring about the school lunch program. Why does that not make sense to you? It's not about having a lot of Christmas decorations, it's about the fact that you ask US if you should sell them. You need money? sell them! you are one big ball of contradiction. you complain that your kids are out of control, but you don't seem to do anything to control them. I could go on, but I won't.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
my parents were teachers and only got paid once/month.
Really? Most people I know are weekly or every other week. How long ago was it that your parents were teachers? Maybe it's a recent thing that people aren't paid monthly?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Really? Most people I know are weekly or every other week. How long ago was it that your parents were teachers? Maybe it's a recent thing that people aren't paid monthly?
My parents retired about 8 or 9 years ago. But I think a friend also said her husband, a teacher, was paid once/month too. I don't know, it could have changed since then, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting