Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times

Advertisements

I see no problem with a cartilage piercing, and consider them pretty common anyway. If she likes it and it can be hidden if necessary, it should be a non-issue. In the grand scheme of things there is absolutely no point getting worked up or disapproving over an adult getting a minor piercing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
She's doing it to p1ss you off. She thinks that makes her 'cool'. Therefore, the piercings are 'cool'.

I had to lay it down hard on my brother to take his eyebrow piercing out. I kept telling him "I never see ANYONE on your facebook page with that. It makes you look like a teenager (he's just 20)."

If you're lucky, she'll take it out. Hopefully before she's 40.
I don't agree with that.
I did all of my piercings because I WANTED them, not to spite anyone.

I have wanted my belly button pierced for 6 years, since I was 15 years old, so this wasn't a new and rebellious decision.
I did them for me and no one else and I don't think the OP's daughter did this to just to be pissing in the OP's wheaties.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
If she's throwing the "I'm 18 and legal" in your face, you throw back "and you ain't gonna pierce your self, tatt yourself etc. while you live at home and if you don't like my rules: here's the door."

Why are parents so afraid of their children reactions?

And in the grand scheme of things, what's fun at 18 ain't pretty at 30. Unless you have no expectations for your kids.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I see no problem with a cartilage piercing, and consider them pretty common anyway. If she likes it and it can be hidden if necessary, it should be a non-issue. In the grand scheme of things there is absolutely no point getting worked up or disapproving over an adult getting a minor piercing.
Why don't you?

How old are you?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I don't get the "She's 18 so she is an adult" line. Yes legally I guess you are an adult at 18 but very few 18 year old kids are true adults, as in taking responsibility for their own lives, bills, shelter, food, etc.

I still believe if somebody living in my house, eating my food and taking financial aid from me and my husband, then they should not do something I don't approve. 18 or not. That's the way it rolls at our house.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,242 times
I see no problem with a cartilage piercing, I have 15 piercings my self and my mother whos 50 just got her cartilage done.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't agree with that.
I did all of my piercings because I WANTED them, not to spite anyone.

You didn't wake up one day and start the advent of body piercings to be "different" .... so why did you want them?

Quote:
I have wanted my belly button pierced for 6 years, since I was 15 years old, so this wasn't a new and rebellious decision.
Why didn't you get one when you were 15? Someone older and in control said, "don't, it's trashy"?

Quote:
I did them for me and no one else and I don't think the OP's daughter did this to just to be pissing in the OP's wheaties.
It's really hard to believe that piercings and tatts are so personal when so MANY have them just to "have" them - and they all look the same. No one is separating themselves any longer, they're just doing everything the end of gen x has done and the beginning of gen Y is still carrying on. BORING!

Cheerios, not Wheaties.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
I don't see cartilage as a big deal either. I'm 19- all I have is the traditional lobe piercing, but have thought about getting a cartilage done (decided against it). It's so small though- and if you take it out, it's gone! The hole might be there, but you'd never be able to tell. If she decides she doesn't like it in a week, a year, a decade, she can just take it out.

Tattoos are a different issue (for me, at least). You can't just change your mind after it's done. And it costs a lot more and is far more visible. I don't understand tattoos personally.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
If she's throwing the "I'm 18 and legal" in your face, you throw back "and you ain't gonna pierce your self, tatt yourself etc. while you live at home and if you don't like my rules: here's the door."

Why are parents so afraid of their children reactions?

And in the grand scheme of things, what's fun at 18 ain't pretty at 30. Unless you have no expectations for your kids.
Like I said, I don't think that is what the OP's daughter is doing.

And what you can do at one age you can't another, does that mean don't do it at all?
No it means do it while you can and if it makes you happy.

Do what makes you happy, sometimes you have to do stuff you don't like but your appearance, career, lifestyle etc...

Right now the OP's daughter is just doing what makes her happy and that is exactly what she should be doing.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I don't plan to make a big deal about it- just don't know why anyone wants to do that to their body.
Crowd following. Some people will do anything because it's a fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting