Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
]

And in the grand scheme of things, what's fun at 18 ain't pretty at 30. Unless you have no expectations for your kids.

Why isn't it? So because you are a mom what you have to dress and become nothing more then a conservative prude in your attire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't get the "She's 18 so she is an adult" line. Yes legally I guess you are an adult at 18 but very few 18 year old kids are true adults, as in taking responsibility for their own lives, bills, shelter, food, etc.

I still believe if somebody living in my house, eating my food and taking financial aid from me and my husband, then they should not do something I don't approve. 18 or not. That's the way it rolls at our house.

Yeah but you have to pick your battles too... i mean honestly no one is gonna throw their kid out if they defy them over a piercing.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Crowd following. Some people will do anything because it's a fad.

Really because i got my piercing because i always liked the way it looked and wanted one, not because i had friends who did it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats pretty harsh, and rather judgmental.
My daughter turned 18 in Debember, has a couple of piercings, and 1 tattoo. She just got hiring by Lockheed-Martin, and is on the fast track to go into their engineering college program, so she doesnt have to spend her college money.
She doesnt smoke, do drugs, or drink, and has had the same boyfriend for 3 years.
Yeah, shes going nowhere.

My GOD you are right how could you have allowed that to happen?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True - if they're living in your house, eating your food, and being supported by the parents, they really aren't living like adults. Following fads and imitating others makes them even less adult.

I didn't tell mine they couldn't get tattoos because they were underage, I pointed out their motives to go along with the latest fad and that imitating and following others is uncool, that's just being a wanna-be. I also pointed out that they're very likely going to change their tastes and preferences at some point, they may want to work as professionals some day, and the trailer park look could interfere with that.

You don't know they are following fads either. Maybe on Wednesdays nights at 9 or 10 you should tune in to tlc and watch la ink. You would be amazed her personal many tattoos are to people. Not everyone is getting things because they are a fad. And as for jobs....my brother has 6 tattoos and is a doctor. My uncle has 3 and he is a senior engineer for ibm. So YOU were saying?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Some parents want their children to stay at their house a few years past 18. Saying "As long as you live in my house, you live by my rules" is a sure fire way to have a kid take you up on the "here's the door." YOU might be totally happy watching your 18 year old hit the streets before being ready to take care of him/herself OR you might think your child wouldn't head out the door. But there are parents who know better than to pressure their children into moving out too soon. There's such a thing as choosing your battles. Just because a parenting style is different than yours doesn't make it wrong.
If an 18 year old that is dependent on their parents for support is willing to throw that away to have a face piercing or whatever, then that's a decision that they make. "Do I want to remain home with my needs met until I am able to move out on my own or is this piercing so important to me that I'm willing to completely alter my lifestyle to have it?" As an 18 year old, they should be able to weigh the pros and cons of a potential decision and decide which is more important to them. Putting them into the position of having to make that decision does not make the parents ogres.

I don't think it's a question of parents being happy to see their 18 year old put something like this ahead of their greater well being and leaving the home but again, it's a choice that the kid gets to make. If they don't like the house rules, they are free to set up their own home and do whatever they want.

I can understand that some parents say "It's not a big deal to me" but the fact is that it is a big deal to some parents. You may not understand or relate to that in any way but that is the other parents' reality and as aghast as you are that they would battle over such a thing, they would be aghast at those who let their kids do this at that age. It's all about how you run your home.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Go look at any Hi-Tech corporation out there and the people who work there, better than 25% have tattoos, piercings or both, I've worked on teams where everyone had a tattoo or piercing, and teams that went out and had their project logo tattooed in various locations.
I think this is more common than most people want to believe. I would put the percentage up higher if I go by what my husband has said, and the Hi-Tech people he's around. And I'm not talking about just a small tattoo somewhere. Many are heavily tattooed - just cover them up.

I'm sure if one doesn't understand why someone would get one, then they'd probably rather not know that their doctor, accountant, etc. have one, if they consider them trashy. It's easier to say that about the people who have them up their neck and down their leg.....

And of course there are those who get them to follow a "fad" - just like people wear certain clothes, listen to certain music, eat or not eat certain things. There will always be followers and I guess their lesson will be learned someday if they wish they hadn't done it. Who cares....

There are things people do that I don't understand why they would do that to their body - allow them selves to get morbidly obese, smoke, etc..... Even though everyone thinks they are smart enough and wise enough to know why someone chooses to do something because they have all the answers, you don't, unless you personally know that person.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If an 18 year old that is dependent on their parents for support is willing to throw that away to have a face piercing or whatever, then that's a decision that they make. "Do I want to remain home with my needs met until I am able to move out on my own or is this piercing so important to me that I'm willing to completely alter my lifestyle to have it?" As an 18 year old, they should be able to weigh the pros and cons of a potential decision and decide which is more important to them. Putting them into the position of having to make that decision does not make the parents ogres.

I don't think it's a question of parents being happy to see their 18 year old put something like this ahead of their greater well being and leaving the home but again, it's a choice that the kid gets to make. If they don't like the house rules, they are free to set up their own home and do whatever they want.

I can understand that some parents say "It's not a big deal to me" but the fact is that it is a big deal to some parents. You may not understand or relate to that in any way but that is the other parents' reality and as aghast as you are that they would battle over such a thing, they would be aghast at those who let their kids do this at that age. It's all about how you run your home.

Of course you as the parent should have the last say. But i think people mean by it not being a big deal is because it doesn't hurt anyone. What you get is parents who don't personally like the look feeling their kids shouldn't either. Yes it is your house and your rules...but do you really want to damage a relationship over something so silly?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'll never forget this guy I liked when I was in high school. He was a few years older, out of high school. He had all the appearances of a bad guy--long hair, motorcycle, the whole nine yards. But he was such a nice guy. OMG, super intelligent. Very intellectual. Treasurer of a regional astronomy club. Was doing programming on a PC at home in the late 70s, early 80s. Most people didn't have computers back then, much less knew how to do programming. He was a published writer and photographer. He traveled the country on his motorcycle for months at a time. I really admired him for his passion.

My parents judged him by appearance. They didn't want me to have anything to do with him. I remember telling my father about all of his accomplishments. They were very impressive accomplishments considering he was only 21 years old. My father responded, "Why does he chose to look like he's a loser?" I had no answer.

He's the CEO of a major corporation today. Darn shame my father wouldn't let me date him.
Priceless story!
Why is it people seem to fear what they dont know about?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My GOD you are right how could you have allowed that to happen?
I'm SUCH a bad Mom, lol.
BTW, she designed her own tat, its based on Hindu wheel of life designs.
I dont think I even knew what Hindu was at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting