Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times

Advertisements

The problem with any health issues in school is that as a parent you are very knowledgeable about your own childs health issues, but multiply that 22 or 28 children in a class and you would need the teacher to be an RN or more. Yes, they can be educated about the specific needs, but it's a lot of responsibility for the teacher. In my daughter's second grade class alone this year there is a Type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump, a severe asthmatic, an epileptic, one child with severe tree nut allergies, another with tree nut, peanut, and gluten allergies, and another who has severe allergies to seafood and asparagus. It's confusing for the teacher, and the other parents. If the teacher was concerning herself with 22 snacks and lunches, she would not be able to get much teaching done. Bear in mind too that parents of children with no allergies are just not in the mindset of thinking about it, and are not very comfortable reading ingredient lists. For example before my child was diagnosed with tree nut allergies, I had no idea what a filbert was, and wouldn't have known to exclude products containing it for a class with tree nut allergies. Our school nurse is very involved in the classroom, and will always check ingredient lists if need be.

We all want what's best for our children, and for them to be in the safest environment possible, and to do that effectively you need to use all the resources at your disposal. That includes the school nurse, and educating your child so they are as self-sufficient as early as is possible. That is the only guarantee.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,074,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am a certified teacher. I have taught and I have had kids in my classes with unusual health problems. It is true that teachers have a lot on their plate these days, which is part of why I am no longer teaching (still love students though).

However, your MOST IMPORTANT responsibility as a teacher is to keep your students safe. When you have a student with a potentially life threatening medical condition it is UNACCEPTABLE to forget about that condition and to allow something in your classroom that could seriously harm (or kill) that child. She simply cannot under any circumstances be allowed to wiggle out of this.

Now the parent who sent the candy probably meant no harm and probably did just forget but the teacher cannot forget, overlook, or not think of stuff in this situation. I do think it is time for Lisa to start to teach her son to protect himself, but the adults still need to backstop that effort. You cannot depend on a 7 year old to get it right every time. He can be taught, but he still needs the adults making sure no harm comes to him.

Write a letter to the School Board, the Superintendent, Principle, and Teacher. Tell them if your son is harmed by consuming something that contains peanuts or peanut by products that YOU HAVE warned them about (by following THEIR set out procedures in the handbook if you havn't..do so NOW), you will sue them. Point blank. CC all the above and your lawyer. Don't delay it. Deliver it in person. Make sure they clearly understand WHO is taking responsibility for this, meaning THEM.

No one can do this but you and you really can't do it over the phone. It has to be Mama and Daddy Bear LIVE and BEARING TEETH IN PERSON. Yes, caps intended hahahaha. Sometimes you have to get ugly.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,345,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Why have you not called either

1) the police? or
2) an attorney?

While venting steam on a forum board is understandable, not taking REAL ACTION against adults that have not only allowed your son to be attacked again and again, but also put his life in serious jeopardy seems to indicate a lack of real concern on your part. If your son is in danger, as you have posted he is, why do you continue to send him back to that environment? After the items you have posted today, there can be NO QUESTION in your mind that they have no desire or intent to provide him with a safe, non-lethal environment.

I love my son more than life itself and would give my own life for him in a second. How DARE you suggest that I don't care. I have been dealing with the school. I am also venting here so that it doesn't eat me up inside. I don't need hurtful comments from you
What in the world is an attorney going to do? He didn't have a reaction to the PB cup thank goodness.
Please leave the judgmental statements to yourself. Oh right you're perfect I'm sure

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
He needs to know that he can't have anything with peanuts- I have a good friend who has an 8 year old with celiac and he is great -he knows what he can and can not eat- it is up to the child and his parents not the rest of the world( teachers etc) this is a good lesson for all of you!!
Ummm he kinda knows that already. That's the first thing I have told him since he was old enough to understand. In the future you may want to read the whole thread so you don't jump to conclusions.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am a certified teacher. I have taught and I have had kids in my classes with unusual health problems. It is true that teachers have a lot on their plate these days, which is part of why I am no longer teaching (still love students though).

However, your MOST IMPORTANT responsibility as a teacher is to keep your students safe. When you have a student with a potentially life threatening medical condition it is UNACCEPTABLE to forget about that condition and to allow something in your classroom that could seriously harm (or kill) that child. She simply cannot under any circumstances be allowed to wiggle out of this.

Now the parent who sent the candy probably meant no harm and probably did just forget but the teacher cannot forget, overlook, or not think of stuff in this situation. I do think it is time for Lisa to start to teach her son to protect himself, but the adults still need to backstop that effort. You cannot depend on a 7 year old to get it right every time. He can be taught, but he still needs the adults making sure no harm comes to him.
As usual you are the voice of reason here. I asked the woman point blank why she didn't check the bags before giving them out. SHE CHANGED THE SUBJECT because she knew she was WRONG. She placed the blame on the bag being dark, she couldn't see though it oh and then it was tied with a big knot. Big knot my a$$ rip the damn bag open. Oh and instead of going to my son and taking the PB cup away from him she lets him take it home in his freaking lunch box
He did protect himself though. He didn't eat the chocolate because he knows better. I am upset at him for not throwing it out though.

What do you think should happen to this teacher momma_bear. Do you think she should be disciplined, suspended, required to take a course on dealing with children with severe allergies? Just interested in your opinion as I REALLY value your opinion

Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The problem with any health issues in school is that as a parent you are very knowledgeable about your own childs health issues, but multiply that 22 or 28 children in a class and you would need the teacher to be an RN or more. Yes, they can be educated about the specific needs, but it's a lot of responsibility for the teacher. In my daughter's second grade class alone this year there is a Type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump, a severe asthmatic, an epileptic, one child with severe tree nut allergies, another with tree nut, peanut, and gluten allergies, and another who has severe allergies to seafood and asparagus. It's confusing for the teacher, and the other parents. If the teacher was concerning herself with 22 snacks and lunches, she would not be able to get much teaching done. Bear in mind too that parents of children with no allergies are just not in the mindset of thinking about it, and are not very comfortable reading ingredient lists. For example before my child was diagnosed with tree nut allergies, I had no idea what a filbert was, and wouldn't have known to exclude products containing it for a class with tree nut allergies. Our school nurse is very involved in the classroom, and will always check ingredient lists if need be.

We all want what's best for our children, and for them to be in the safest environment possible, and to do that effectively you need to use all the resources at your disposal. That includes the school nurse, and educating your child so they are as self-sufficient as early as is possible. That is the only guarantee.

I can understand fully not knowing that a filbert is a tree nut. However the parents who sent the PB cup would have to be living in a bubble or just be incredibly stupid not to know that peanut allergy is very severe and it is not something they should be putting in their little variety bag.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-30-2010 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,590,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I can understand fully not knowing that a filbert is a tree nut. However the parents who sent the PB cup would have to be living in a bubble or just be incredibly stupid not to know that peanut allergy is very severe and it is not something they should be putting in their little variety bag.
The point I keep trying to make here is there are a lot of us who have been in your shoes. We had high hopes that if we sent out letters, and educated everyone our children would never be exposed, but sadly that is just unrealistic, and an unattainable goal. There are too many people involved in the equation, and too many variables. You can lay blame anywhere you like, but it doesn't protect your son.

I don't want to just be the Debbie-downser here, so let me share some of the things I have done with my son who is now 10. I volunteer at all my children's parties at school if possible so I can see the food, or offer to make it myself, and unless my son is absolutely sure, he does not bring treats home. He doesn't ever take food, especially baked good and candy, from people unless he has read the ingredient lists. He is like a loud, obnoxious, broken record at school. The cafeteria food at school is nut-free, but every day at school he asks the same question "does this have nuts in it". The reason for asking the question repeatedly, especially in the classroom is that is what triggers peoples memories, that of teachers and parents.

As they get older, it does get a little easier.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,947,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I agree that this could have been a very serious mistake. Thank goodness lisalan's son knew better than to eat the candy. Parent's need a news letter sent out before bringing in treats to remind them no peanuts. The Superintendant of the Distric School Board needs to be informed about this. It is unacceptable!
I think that a letter was sent out. Although I cannot forgive the teacher's error, I do think that parents sometimes forget. It is one thing if the peanut free thing is a school wide rule and a teacher doesn't have any allergic kids in the classroom. I can see the teachers forgetting in that instance.

But once you know you have an allergic kid in your class it should be elevated to another level of importance and the TEACHER has to be the one to check. The parents do forget and Lisa should understand that. But this is not something the teacher is allowed to forget. Ever. No matter how busy she is.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,947,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
As usual you are the voice of reason here. I asked the woman point blank why she didn't check the bags before giving them out. SHE CHANGED THE SUBJECT because she knew she was WRONG. She placed the blame on the bag being dark, she couldn't see though it oh and then it was tied with a big knot. Big knot my a$$ rip the damn bag open. Oh and instead of going to my son and taking the PB cup away from him she lets him take it home in his freaking lunch box
He did protect himself though. He didn't eat the chocolate because he knows better. I am upset at him for not throwing it out though.

What do you think should happen to this teacher momma_bear. Do you think she should be disciplined, suspended, required to take a course on dealing with children with severe allergies? Just interested in your opinion as I REALLY value your opinion
I am glad you value my opinion but I really don't know what should happen to her. If I were you I would not focus on punishment for her as much as I would focus on getting your son out of that environment. I am sure the principal will deal with her according to his district's rules (which vary).

Do you know other parents with kids in the same grade as your child (or who have been in that grade)? Are homeschool, private, charter, other public options available to you? If you simply cannot take your son out of this school I would try to get him out of that class and I would try to find out who the good teachers in that grade are and move him into a class with better supervision. Of course that is not a foolproof thing.........

I see a pattern here. I see a teacher who is clearly overwhelmed with all of her responsibilities. The kids do not seem well supervised which leads to a chaotic atmosphere in the classroom. Since the classroom is chaotic it makes the teacher even less able to take care of things like making sure your son doesn't ingest anything that will kill him. You won't be able to fix this so you need to get him out.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,238,725 times
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I don't think the teachers union will allow you to cane them
oops.
Although some teachers may enjoy it I did intend it to be the ratbag kids on the receiving end.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting