Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Oh, and we had to send snacks each week for the whole class...I can't tell you how tired my kids got of cheez its and goldfish.
I don't get this. Parents could be a bit creative. Send apple slices or bananas or raisins or applesauce cups. Send triscuits, teddy grahams or graham crackers. Send bagels, popcorn, pretzels, fig newtons, sun chips, etc. There are plenty of nut-free snacks available.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Sounds more like Mom is having a hard time with being told what she can and can't do.
I think that the majority of parents of children with severe food allergies realize that they don't live in a bubble. We all teach our kids what to avoid and logical safety measures.
What is sad, though, are parents who think that it is too much trouble, or excessive, to keep a kid safe. Yes, odds are that nothing serious will happen, but it only takes once.
Most of the kids that I have encountered have been great about complying with peanut free areas. They realize that they may be putting their freinds in danger and feel good about being part of keeping them safe. The parents on the other hand, well that is another story.
Yep, Mom did have a hard time, especially with a child that doesn't care for cold cuts or any of your typical lunchtime menus. She LOVED pb&j, and would eat in on tortillas, bread, or bagels. We had to get creative with the lunches because of the schools no nut policy.

This school is the 3rd my children have attended in 4 years, and this was the first where we had a nut free zone. I wasn't the only mother that had a challenge adapting, many others did as well. Sure we could've bought the school lunches, but chicken nuggets and nachos day in day out was tiresome, not to mention expensive. We managed, of course, but it was an adjustment and a call for creativity for all of us.

I feel for the little ones that have to live with the allergy; we haven't encountered that with our little ones. I imagine it's more difficult than our adjusting our eating habits at school, but I can only speak for what we've experienced. Thank our lucky stars and stay grateful is what I try to do.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't get this. Parents could be a bit creative. Send apple slices or bananas or raisins or applesauce cups. Send triscuits, teddy grahams or graham crackers. Send bagels, popcorn, pretzels, fig newtons, sun chips, etc. There are plenty of nut-free snacks available.
Apple slices turn brown by the afternoon, bananas are too messy, raisins can't be eaten by children with dental issues, applesauce cups for 24 can be expensive, same with bagels and fig newtons. Popcorn wasn't allowed in my children's school (too messy), sun chips were a waste of money - and expensive in the mini bags the teachers required. Some teddy grahams have chocolate (a no-no) or honey, graham crackers were considered too messy.

No, I'm not being finicky - we were sent a note at the beginning of those school years at that nut free school. Ridiculous, in my opinion.

But, they had to provide a "group" snack, vs individuals, because it wasn't "fair" to the students whose parents did not send one in. We were told: pretzels, Cheezits, goldfish or animal crackers (individually bagged, pre-packaged only - nothing homemade or bagged allowed).

I said it then, I'll say it now - it's like baby-proofing your house. If you never teach your two year old the word "NO!", and what NOT to touch, then the first time they find an unprotected plug, or a hot water faucet without a child safety knob, they will be injured. I wish more people would PARENT their own child, so my blow dryer wouldn't need a warning on it that said, "Do not use while sleeping".

Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Apple slices turn brown by the afternoon, bananas are too messy, raisins can't be eaten by children with dental issues, applesauce cups for 24 can be expensive, same with bagels and fig newtons. Popcorn wasn't allowed in my children's school (too messy), sun chips were a waste of money - and expensive in the mini bags the teachers required. Some teddy grahams have chocolate (a no-no) or honey, graham crackers were considered too messy.

No, I'm not being finicky - we were sent a note at the beginning of those school years at that nut free school. Ridiculous, in my opinion.

But, they had to provide a "group" snack, vs individuals, because it wasn't "fair" to the students whose parents did not send one in. We were told: pretzels, Cheezits, goldfish or animal crackers (individually bagged, pre-packaged only - nothing homemade or bagged allowed).

I said it then, I'll say it now - it's like baby-proofing your house. If you never teach your two year old the word "NO!", and what NOT to touch, then the first time they find an unprotected plug, or a hot water faucet without a child safety knob, they will be injured. I wish more people would PARENT their own child, so my blow dryer wouldn't need a warning on it that said, "Do not use while sleeping".
I used to iron in my bathtub. Thank God for those labels.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I used to iron in my bathtub. Thank God for those labels.
I used to iron clothes while on my body. Thank god they put a lable on it to clear things up.

Thought, I must say, in a pinch, I use my hair straightener to iron my skirts after I'm dressed.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,813 times
Quote:

Precisely! I made homemade rice krispie treats one year and NO ONE got to eat them, because they were homemade. I was SO excited to make them and bag all 22 of them for my daughter's class. She was so proud to take them in because she helped make them, only to be told NO. After that, it was Costco Cheez it, goldfish, animal crackers, or pretzels. Just like they told us.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I used to iron clothes while on my body. Thank god they put a lable on it to clear things up.

Thought, I must say, in a pinch, I use my hair straightener to iron my skirts after I'm dressed.
Brilliant! I have never thought of that. Maybe all of those years of blow drying my hair in the shower did something to my brain?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Brilliant! I have never thought of that. Maybe all of those years of blow drying my hair in the shower did something to my brain?

I learned this while wearing my catholic school pleated skirt. I would get dressed and my mom would say "your wrinkled go iron that" and I would go upstairs and turn my straightener on which was usually still hot from doing my hair and vola! instant pressed pleats.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

613 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea that little kids are likely to share food comes from either. All the allergic kids I know are well-informed, and definitely not inclined to share food, even in pre-k.
I have to disagree with this. My son is allergic to peanuts/nuts and sits at the peanut free table. He is well informed on his allergies, knows to ask ingredients of foods, etc, and now reads labels himself. His older sister knows the drill well also.

However, when he was in 2nd grade, my son gave another boy with a peanut allergy a cookie. I know this other boy's mother, and I know she has taught her son well also.

A. My daughter told him since he has eaten the same cookie at home that it was safe.

B. My son told him the same thing.

C. The boy agreed that since he ate the same type of cookie at home, it was safe as well.

It WAS safe, but the point is ALL THREE OF THE KIDS should have known better!

Another example, my son thought it was okay to eat something because his cousin told him it had no peanuts. His cousin is a year younger than him!

Kids have their own way of reasoning things out that seem logical to them, but is not always correct.

They are, after all, just kids. Yes, there comes a point where they need to take full responsibility for their allergies, and that point will come for all of them, but to assume that primary school aged kids can be completely responsible for their allergies is silly.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
Well, thankfully, nobody at the school gave a hoot about your opinion. Your analogy about baby-proofing the house shows your ignorace about kids with allergies. Actually, it is more than likely the fact that you are not a very considerate person, but that is your cross to bear.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting