Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I visit that planet from time to time. It is a strange place. I cannot stay there because I do not have the require BMW, blonde hair dye, and yellow lab, brand name clothing and ab master. However they do allow me to visit reguarly without too much problem.
Yeah, you'd probably get shot looking like that in my hood. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Does the child have issues with escaping from the house? If so, I can understand why they use an inside lock.
Not even but the problem is that I can't get it after work or when I come home and I have to wake them up with the Doorbell to get in.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How do I address this with them?
The best time to address anything is when the incident is not happening. If you have a talk at the time you are locked out, it won't register that it's a serious problem for you. But if you sit them down when everything is calm and tell them they need to remove those latches from the doors (not just stop using them, but remove them), they'll take you more seriously. If the husband is overly concerned about the children getting out, recommend their having a locksmith install deadbolt locks that require a key on both the inside and outside. That way he can lock the doors all he wants, but you'll be able to get in when you want.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Not even but the problem is that I can't get it after work or when I come home and I have to wake them up with the Doorbell to get in.

I mean if the child is smart enough to open the door then chances are he will be smart enough to flip the latch

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I mean if the child is smart enough to open the door then chances are he will be smart enough to flip the latch

He can't reach the latch...I mean I even have to reach up for it....
I'm 5'3'' BARELY.. I may be 5' 2'' 3/4

And they said they'll stop using them all together and are going to take them off because not even an hour ago did I come home....yes, I didn't come home last night, and good thing because I would have been locked out. The garage latch was on and I couldn't get in and had to knock.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
He can't reach the latch...I mean I even have to reach up for it....
I'm 5'3'' BARELY.. I may be 5' 2'' 3/4

And they said they'll stop using them all together and are going to take them off because not even an hour ago did I come home....yes, I didn't come home last night, and good thing because I would have been locked out. The garage latch was on and I couldn't get in and had to knock.

Stand on a chair lol....the fact is something like that isn't going to work with a resourceful child.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Stand on a chair lol....the fact is something like that isn't going to work with a resourceful child.
No but it takes a little longer, makes a bit more noise. Gives the parent the opportunity to catch the little escape artist....

Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No but it takes a little longer, makes a bit more noise. Gives the parent the opportunity to catch the little escape artist....

Maybe, but in reality how many kids try to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Maybe, but in reality how many kids try to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night?
No, I'm not saying they should be using those things just answering your questions about whether it stops a resourceful and determined child.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Or a 1 1/2 or a 3 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They couldn't even get the chair to stand on and even if they managed that, they would still be too short.
t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting