Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Oh My Gwad I know. Can't be as fun, which is sad. She could potentially use BBB as a place to make some new friends and socialize.

Currently I want out of my lease. I literally hate my apartment and the person who owns it. He's selling it and wants me to leave when the relator is here, which makes me uncomfortable. But that aside the lady under my constantly comes up and tells me I made too much noise. I hate my apartment because it's too small and the rent is outrageous for what we pay (my parents pay and I hate that they are being ripped off) so instead of sitting on here and pissing and moaning I try and go out and do stuff so I'm not home or I spend a lot of time cooking because I like to cook. Plus I live in NYC and what's better than that.

I dunno. My mom was a "toughen up" sort of mom who really didn't tolerate this type of stuff and it's made me feel the same way.
I have a lot of friends from BBB, I got my best friend from high school a job there and we used to work together all the time, currently all my friends are from BBB but I never see them there anymore because I now work in the back of the store hurting and straining myself to lift and move things that are too heavy for me to lift, I do this M-F 9-12. My customer service position has been filled and receiving is the only position for me and if/when I quit they actually will have to hire a new person to put back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
My favorite advice. Suck it up, cupcake.

Seriously, txt, zip it. You are extremly lucky to have all that you do so stop being such a spoiled brat. You do NOT deserve more money. You deserve the going rate for the job that you do, that's it.

It is your fault that you did not further your education right out of high school to become more skilled and able to get a higher paying job. It is your fault you have still not applied to the academy. Everything you do not have right now is nobody's fault but your own and everything you do have is because you have a generous mother and grandmother. You better learn to be damn thankful for that.

You may NEED a phone but you certainly do not NEED texting and internet and all the other crap. Life did go on before cell phones, you will survivie, I promise. Heck I don't even use half the doo dads on my Blackberry, I hate it.
I do deserve more money because of the amount of hours I am pulling in. I do deserve more money because I NEED to be able to keep what I am paying for, I do deserve more money because I need to have money to succeed. I am trying to start my life here and if I am constantly broke how I am ever going to get ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So we've looked it up but she hasn't?

I'm telling you, she doesn't want to be a cop. She wants the badge and the handcuffs and she wants to hang out with cops but...When I was her age (that would be young Muffy) I was filling out applications, sending in writing samples (and getting rejection letters) working and going to school. And the only people I complained to were my friends. Who were all doing the exact same thing.
I HAVE looked it up. I waited so I could gain more experience and learn more from explorers, which I did.
I have sent out for an application and filled it out but I need THIS years application and yes I do the one I have says for 2010.

And you don't get the Chet and Muffy joke.
I was basically saying that being broke was for people who couldn't manage their money, I CAN manage my money but I make just the bare minimum for what I need and I NEED to be saving and I need extra money so I can buy things like food for myself, my shampoo, gas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
But, wait. Less than two weeks ago, you insisted that you were lovin' it, despite all the reservations expressed and common-sense suggestions offered by the other members here. They're still offering valuable advice, so why are you still refusing to take it?
Because I don't want to be grateful for feeling sick, being nauseous EVERYDAY, peeing every hour, and nearly passing out when I stand up, hurting ALL over and getting migraines everyday. My migraines are disabling, that are very bad and I used to rarely get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree...she wants to be her image of a cop and have the lifestyle. Not the actual job. But she doesn't know what else to consider because she has looked and said nothing but the cop thing for years. I also wonder if she isn't worried a little about "losing face" by admitting this isn't what she really wants anymore. That is typical of a young attitude - believing that changing your mind is a weakness....
No I like the actual job and I have looked at other things, like being a paramedic, I almost went to school for it too. My grandmother was going to pay. I don't believe that changing my mind is a weakness.
I decided that I wanted to do both. I want to do a dual certification.

Quote:
So sad really. There are a lot of trade schools she could be going to right now which would provide a good living for herself. I know a bunch of girls from my high school who went into nursing after having children very young and unmarried. Ultrasound tech and dental assistant are also good jobs. Aesthetician, nail tech, and hair dresser all have nigh school so she could work in the day.

I've seen people with much worse circumstances make much better use of their lives than this
NONE of those appeal to me. I LOVE law enforcement because of the job because of what you get to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's one I love. I'll provide the recipe and then I'll explain how I deviate from the recipe.

Chicken and Spinach Bow Tie Pasta

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
1 t salt, divided
1/2 t ground black pepper, divided
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 pound spinach, rinsed, chopped
1 box (16ox) bow tie pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigian cheese
2 T chopped parsley

Sprinke chicken with 1/2 salt and 1/2 pepper

Heat oil in skilled over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, pepper and garlic, cook and stire 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through. Add chicken broth, spinach and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted an chicken is cooked through.

MEANWHILE cook bow tie pasta according to package directions, drain and return to pot.

Add chicken mixture to the hot posta, toss. Transfer to servicing platter, sprinkle with cheese and parsley.

HOW I DO IT DIFFERENTLY.

I use a BIG skillet. While the chicken is cooking in the skillet, I cover it with basil other seasonings that tickle my fancy at the moment. When I add the broth, I also add some parmigian cheese to help thicken it a bit because it's just basically a chicken broth sauce. It also helps give it flavor. Sometimes I'll add some pesto from a jar of pesto.

I took the past a little less than package directions. When the pasta is done cooking, I spoon the past into the skillet---adding the pasta to the sauce instead of vice versa. THEN I add the spinach. That way the wilted spinach will stick to the bow ties instead of just the chicken. And of course, lots of parmigian cheese for consistency.

He's doing good. He's driving me crazy today. That's why I'm on here right now. I'm hiding in the attic! He's bored. He wants my computer to play card games. I'll be moving it downstairs for him after I finish posting. I'm glad he's doing good, of course!

I'm trying to not be upset with his company. They told us two weeks ago that they were keeping him on salary while he recovered. We just found out today that he will now be paid via workers comp instead. This is a big hassle. The pay is going to drop more than we expected, plus we'll have to pay for our portion of the benefits out of that too. Why they couldn't figure out how he would be paid ahead of time and stick to it is beyond me. I called HR two weeks ago just so we could be prepared. Everything they told me is completely different from what's really happening to us this week.

I'm not so sure. I think she would be wise to familarize herself with Hypochondria.

Hypochondria - MayoClinic.com

Because if she is a hypocondriac, she will be better off (and happier) if she educates herself about it, accepts that she has it, and learns to acknowledge it for what it is.

Parmedics make decent money where I live. My BIL makes over 100k. The education is very minimal for earning that type of salary. Plus being a paramedic could help her get accepted into the police academy later if she still wants to go that route. My girlfriend went back to school for ultrasound (she was a hairdresser) and she makes over 100k too. She did it while being a single mother. If she can re-educate herself while being a single mother, working and going to school, txtqueen can do it too.
I am not a hypochondriac. I KNOW what it means.
I am just familiar with a lot of medical stuff because I've been taught stuff before and yes my pee smells which is why I said kidney infection plus the peeing every hour part too.

I am on BC and took a preg test the other day, it was negative.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Glad to hear the hubby is doing better, but LMAO that you are hiding in the attic
He came upstairs earlier. I said, "What are you doing up here? I'm trying to hide from you!" He burst out laughing.

Mommies can't ever hide for long.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I do deserve more money because of the amount of hours I am pulling in. I do deserve more money because I NEED to be able to keep what I am paying for, I do deserve more money because I need to have money to succeed. I am trying to start my life here and if I am constantly broke how I am ever going to get ahead?

Excuse me while I go change my pants. I just pissed myself laughing at this
NONE of those are valid excuses for NEEDING more money and they definitely are no indication of you DESERVING more money. You seriously have no idea what the difference between a need and a want is

Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He came upstairs earlier. I said, "What are you doing up here? I'm trying to hide from you!" He burst out laughing.

Mommies can't ever hide for long.
You know what I do. I lock myself in the bathroom, fill up the tub with hot water and soak and turn the "fan" on. You know the one the husband uses because he stinks up the bathroom. If he comes past the bathroom and hears the fan on, he just assumes I am using it for the same reason he does so he leaves me alone. Can usually get a good 30mins of freedom from him and the kid this way

Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
And you don't get the Chet and Muffy joke.
I was basically saying that being broke was for people who couldn't manage their money, I CAN manage my money but I make just the bare minimum for what I need and I NEED to be saving and I need extra money so I can buy things like food for myself, my shampoo, gas, etc.
But the things is, you don't know how to budget. Knowing how to live within one's means is the biggest part of budgeting. If you are making $7.50 at one job and $8.00/hour at the other and working 60 hours per week you should be bringing home somewhere around $1500/month after taxes. Correct?

How much are you spending monthly on food including shampoo, soap, etc. How much is your car payment?
How much is your car insurance?
How much do you spend on auto insurance?
How much do you plan to spend on your phone?
Clothing?
Entertainment?

Considering you don't pay any rent or utilities, I have no idea why you can't make it on your current income. I also don't think you understand the difference between wants and needs. Having a new car was a want, not a need. Having a cell phone plan with all of the bells and whistles is also a want, not a need.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
NONE of those are valid excuses for NEEDING more money and they definitely are no indication of you DESERVING more money. You seriously have no idea what the difference between a need and a want is
In that case. I DESERVE million a year. I need an 2000sq ft apartment (thats GIANT by NY standards) and I need to get a blow out once a week. I need them.

Also. If you are sure you have a kidney infection, I would get your but to the ER before you go into septic shock. But you know that already don't you.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
I laughed so hard the cat went and hid under the bed.

Let's all list what we deserve. I'll start:

I deserve a vacation in Fiji every year because I need to be surrounded by tall, dark Fijian men who will wave palm fronds over me and slather my body with sunscreen while I drink something from a coconut with a little umbrella in it and I wave to the captain of the yacht I deserve because I need the sound of the ocean in my ears every morning when I wake up next to George Clooney. Whom I need AND deserve.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times
Quote:
Amen to that! I would totally rep you if I could but I repped you elsewhere!

Txt, just because you work more hours and have wants doesn't mean you 'deserve' a raise. You must apply yourself not just by doing more hours but in general being a more responsible person and less forthcoming about your business at work. I can only imagine that if you can complain how bad life is on a forum that you probably complain just as much as in real life.

Stop making excuses about the application. You can easily apply for 2011 application even if it is a 2010 by simply crossing out the year and rwriting 2011 on the top. They would accept it along with a letter stating how keen you are in applying. But I am sure you will come back with an excuse as to why this can't be done.

Please please please take care of yourself and realize we speak from experience!

BTW everyone else, I hope all is well!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
In that case. I DESERVE million a year. I need an 2000sq ft apartment (thats GIANT by NY standards) and I need to get a blow out once a week. I need them.

Also. If you are sure you have a kidney infection, I would get your but to the ER before you go into septic shock. But you know that already don't you.
Me too. I don't just want to win the lottery. I NEED to. I deserve it. Why? Because I'm special.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Because I don't want to be grateful for feeling sick, being nauseous EVERYDAY, peeing every hour, and nearly passing out when I stand up, hurting ALL over and getting migraines everyday. My migraines are disabling, that are very bad and I used to rarely get them.
All of these symptoms are most likely anxiety, even the peeing every hour. Anxiety can mess with your entire body. Since your migraines are disabling, you should be managing your anxiety on an ongoing basis, not just when your symptoms are intollerable.

Quote:
I am not a hypochondriac. I KNOW what it means.
I am just familiar with a lot of medical stuff because I've been taught stuff before and yes my pee smells which is why I said kidney infection plus the peeing every hour part too.
Even hypochondriacs have real symptoms. They just blow them out of proportion and always think there is something wrong with them.

In my experiences with kidney infections, the urinary frequency is extremely frequent---every few minutes---and it burns when you pee. If you knew a lot about medical stuff, you'd know that you need to see a doctor right away.

Even if you aren't a hypochondriac, you have to know that you sound like one when you complain constantly about your physical symptoms. You know this isn't the first time. You've been going on and on about your physical symptoms from the start of your posting here. If not a hypochondriac, then a serious whiner.

Honestly, you KNOW you have severe anxiety. Stop complaining about the symptoms and start managing your anxiety. My own son has severe anxiety and he rarely complains like you do about his symptoms. (His symptoms can be way worse than yours too.) He utilizes techniques he learned to reduce the anxiety.

Have you ever been properly treated for anxiety? Medication alone isn't the answer. There's much more to learning how to manage anxiety than medication. You'll likely live with anxiety for the rest of your life. YOU need to learn how to live with it. You need to learn how to function with it. You can't just throw in the towel and take to bed every single time you have symptoms.

You need to EMPOWER yourself because it truly is all in your head. I'm not saying your pain isn't real. I'm saying that your pain is caused by your mental state. And only you can overcome that by learning how to change the way your mind works. And that starts with seeking proper treatment for your anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting