Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Opinion: Do you find those letters that families send out in Christmas card tacky?

We got a two page letter from a family member with the most useless information and it was basically things like "Mrs gets up every day and gets child 1 ready. Child 1 really loves oatmeal while child 2 tends to eat toast" and it was told completely in 3rd person.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Opinion: Do you find those letters that families send out in Christmas card tacky?

We got a two page letter from a family member with the most useless information and it was basically things like "Mrs gets up every day and gets child 1 ready. Child 1 really loves oatmeal while child 2 tends to eat toast" and it was told completely in 3rd person.
LOL that's hilarious! We get two or three per year saying how "this year Susie really enjoyed played basketball and in June she broke her arm" and information like that, but never as ridiculous as the one you described.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:53 PM

I have a feeling by next year Child 1 will have cured cancer and be speaking 4 languages. All before kindergarden!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Eh...I think it depends on the letter...we get some that are hilarious (purposefully). Most are informative and a very few are just plain bragging...Personally, I would prefer some kind of letter to receiving a card imprinted with the senders' names and no family info at all...If I know you well enough to get a card, I want to know what you are up to! Exceptions would be receiving cards from people I see regularly....

Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Belated Merry Christmas everyone!

Strawflower: I guess I'll speak for the minority here. We allowed televisions in our children's bedrooms. They had cable too. We never had problem with it. They still socialized with us and watched TV with the family. In our house, the children's bedrooms were their haven where they entertained their friends there, worked on art projects, listened to music, watched tv, etc. I believe kids need their own space. And having TVs in their rooms didn't hinder their intellectual capabilities. As a matter of fact, they learned a lot on the history and discovery channels. These channels inspired their interests and propelled them to reading history and science books for pleasure. I also never had a problem with them watching things that were inappropriate. They gravitated towards stations that were age appropriate throughout their lives. But every child is different so you need to assess this on an individual basis.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 AM

I had a TV in my room growing up. I still preferred to be downstairs with my family. But it was nice to put it on before bed so I had something to listen to while I went to sleep. I also used the radio. It was just nice to have a place to watch what I wanted to watch since all the shows I like seemed to be on at the same time as my parents.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
No TV in my room. Our house only had 2 TVs: the family TV surrounded by a huge cabinet in the den, and the big portable in my parents' room.

Regarding yearly Christmas letters: The idea of that is totally foreign to me because I am from a Jewish family. Also, we wrote regularly to people, not yearly. So if I enjoyed communicating to a cousin, I wouldn't wait a year to do so. Also, any family we -wanted- communicate with, we usually visited on a regular basis so there wasn't much point in writing.

However, if someone were to send me something as inane as what their kid prefers to eat for breakfast..I'd probably respond something like this:

Dear Smith Family:
Exciting news! Three months ago, Joey ruptured his lower intestine and they had to do emergency surgery to remove it. See, here's his spleen, when they actually got the camera shoved up his rectum - this is his rectum. That globby stuff is feces. Isn't that COOL? (and I'd include a photocopy of a feces-globbed rectum). You should've seen the doctors' faces when all that CORN started dribbling out - we had barbeque that night, and he hadn't digested his supper yet so it was ALL STILL IN THERE LOLOLOL

And then I'd add some photos of other really disgusting things, and describe them in great detail to ensure that my beloved family members don't feel neglected of any particularly neato moment in our lives. I might add a sound file of the fart fights between my son and husband, because aren't boys just SO ADORABLE...

Maybe at the end make fun about how we're SO busy having fun around here, we completely missed the carrot cake frosting that had fallen off in the fridge and landed on the big slab of roast beef... and take a picture of a thoroughly defiled, moldy, slime-covered, maggot-infested slab of flesh.

Hahaha but don't we have fun! Gotta dash, little Cindy is late for her science fair at school - the little genius is demonstrating the potential medical uses of ear wax and the pus from butt-boils.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Morning all!

First off, good luck today maciesmom!! I don't think any Cardinals fan got to sleep before one in the morning. Feels pretty good after the year we've had.

TV in room: No. And we never had cable. Just an antenna on the roof. We had access to tapes if there was something special on cable but otherwise they grew up seriously TV challenged. Obviously, their friends had cable. We had a standing "we don't want you watching junk" expectation of them but I'm sure they watched all kinds of garbage with friends.

Christmas letters: "It was good to see our old friend the Pope again this year. His Holiness always enjoys spending time with our family."

Yeah, right.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Morning all!

First off, good luck today maciesmom!! I don't think any Cardinals fan got to sleep before one in the morning. Feels pretty good after the year we've had.
Thanks Dew! Keeping fingers crossed. I saw that you guys won....I got vetoed on watching the game though....It looked like it got exciting there!

TV in room: No. And we never had cable. Just an antenna on the roof. We had access to tapes if there was something special on cable but otherwise they grew up seriously TV challenged. Obviously, their friends had cable. We had a standing "we don't want you watching junk" expectation of them but I'm sure they watched all kinds of garbage with friends.

Wow...and yet they grew up to be normal proctive members of society - despite being "seriously TV challenged"...amazing! Who knew that was possible?

Christmas letters: "It was good to see our old friend the Pope again this year. His Holiness always enjoys spending time with our family."

Yeah, right.

LOL - seriously, I guess it just boils down to the kind of people who are writing the letter. Most of the ones we get are just informative and funny - we have one friend who is such a good writer and absolutely hilarious and self deprecating. I look forward to opening their card ever year. I do remember when I was growing up my family always getting one of the "brag" letters...we'd just roll our eyes. Oddly enough, those letters stopped at some point - maybe when the kids were older teens and not so perfect anymore?
Time to dry my hair and get Macie out for a walk....

Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Congratulations maciesmom. Picked you guys in my pool too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting