Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It seems that a higher socio- economic level leads to a higher rate of circumcision. Although to be fair I do believe that the declining rate of insurance coverage for the procedure may have something to do with those figures over the last ten years or so. If you are on the lower end of the socio economic scale, and your insurance doesn't cover it because it's viewed as a cosmetic procedure, you're probably less inclined to have it done.

http://www.malecircumcision.org/medi...terminants.pdf
2007 report "In a number of countries, socio-economic factors also influence circumcision prevalence, especially in countries with more recent uptake of the practice such as English-speaking industrialised countries. When male circumcision was first practised in the United Kingdom in the late 19th and early 20th century, it was most prevalent among the upper classes. In the US, a review of 4.7 million newborn male circumcisions nationwide between 1988 and 2000 also found a significant association with private insurance and higher socioeconomic status."

Circumcision in the United States
1997 study "Circumcision rates vary significantly by the level of education obtained by a respondent's mother. The critical break occurred between respondents whose mothers did and did not earn a high school diploma. While 62% of respondents whose mothers did not finish high school were circumcised, the rate for all other respondents varied form 84% to 87%. These differences remained significant when other factors were controlled. Net of such factors, the odds of being circumcised for respondents whose mothers earned at least a high school diploma was about 2.5 times (95% CI, 1.9-3.8) that of those whose mothers were less educated. This discrepancy appeared to be narrowing in more recent cohorts. Among the youngest group of respondents, only those whose mothers had finished college displayed a significantly higher circumcision rate than those whose mothers had not earned a high school diploma."

I'm also a NAY, I didn't do it for the same reason I didn't pierce my baby daughters ears. I believed in letting them make their own choices about their bodies when they were old enough. DS is grown and so far as I know it has never been any kind of issue for him. I'm comfortable with my decision.
Thanks for sharing these links!

Something that really surprised me from the 2007 report was that the prevalence estimate of circumcisions in the US in 2000 was a lot higher than I've seen reported other places. Have rates have really dropped that significantly (upwards of 60% down to 35%) over the past decade? That's very interesting.

"The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued several statements on neonatal circumcision since 1971, with the most recent (issued in 1999; reaffirmed in May 2005) stating that there are insufficient data to recommend routine neonatal circumcision (74). Despite this, there appears to be little decline in prevalence of neonatal circumcision in the United States of America. An estimated 61% of male newborns were recorded as being circumcised on hospital discharge sheets in 2000 (44), but the true figure will be higher than this because circumcision is not routinely documented on the hospital discharge sheet used to collate the data and, furthermore, post-neonatal circumcisions for religious or medical reasons are not captured." (from pg 11)

I am looking forward to the AAP's next set of recommendations which should be coming out sometime in early 2011, according to the NYT article I posted several messages back.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Just wanted to inform any Christian who is on the fence religiously about whether or not they need to circumcise, read Acts 15. No covenant with God will be broken if the foreskin stays intact.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Nah.
If its not broke don't fix it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 PM

144 posts, read 307,030 times
I only read the first couple pages. But I say yes if circumcision is still popular. Mainly because of self-esteem issues. I remember an old friend told me growing up it was kinda akward in gym class he was the only guy not circumcised. The other kids being young and cruel teased him because he was different. He became so embarrased he would skip gym class or skip showers to avoid the teasing. He said it made him feel like a freak. And for a while he said he was embarresed with women because he thought they may react the same way.

I thought it was a little weird for him to tell me that. But I guess it can happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
I only read the first couple pages. But I say yes if circumcision is still popular. Mainly because of self-esteem issues. I remember an old friend told me growing up it was kinda akward in gym class he was the only guy not circumcised. The other kids being young and cruel teased him because he was different. He became so embarrased he would skip gym class or skip showers to avoid the teasing. He said it made him feel like a freak. And for a while he said he was embarresed with women because he thought they may react the same way.

I thought it was a little weird for him to tell me that. But I guess it can happen.
If I was him, I would've ragged back on them with stuff like this:

"Jealous 'cause I'm more of a man than you are?"

"Why you checking me out in the first place?"

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,993 times
I'm circumcised. Nothing wrong with getting circumcised.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Oh I couldn't possibly read through all those pages so I will just give my two cents.

I am a nay.
I haven't done much research but I say nay because I think it should be left up to the guy when he is old enough to make the decision for himself.

Reason being, that guy ive been seeing, not the cop, is circ'ed and just the other day said he is pissed that he is and wishes he wasn't.

Its not fair to do something to another persons body that they may or may not want done in the future.

I know when done in the future it may be pretty painful for the guy but its still THEIR body, THEIR penis and its THEIR decision.

I don't see where some people get off making those decisions for other people.

And I saw female circumcision mentioned somewhere, and yeah...thats f'ed up, I mean like I once read an article on it in Seventeen magazine about it happening forcefully in Africa and honestly if I could be I would be one of those americans who went over to that country to help fund and raise money to stop all that. It disturbs me to my core.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,800 times
Circumcision: A Mom's Perpective

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Just another opinion, much like butholes, everyone has one... *and* there is no right or wrong answer. Just like ear piercing, every family is different.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
This thread reminds me of an old joke.

The punch-line, "keep the tip", takes on a whole new meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting