Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times

Advertisements

I just read something that said only about 35% of baby boys are being circed now. I'll try to remember where I saw it... not sure how accurate that is. Anyway, for our family, we don't cut anything off of our boys or our girls. If my son wants to be circed when he's an adult, then of course he is free to do so. If his main concern is HPV, though, then I can think of other ways for him to prevent that which do not require surgery. I don't really care what other people do in regards to circing their babies or leaving them intact... it's really none of my business.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
If we have a boy we don't plan to circumcise him.
Why not? Do you have any daughters?

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-27-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I have known men both ways, in the biblical sense. The uncircumcised ones were much more "sensitive" to touch. I married one of those. Never had an infection, ever, but have enjoyed many years with that uncut man. All three of our sons have been circumcised, however, at the urging of their pediatrician,who claimed it was healthier. I haven't heard any complaints from them either.

I think it's more a personal choice than a health issue. BTW, cut or uncut, they ALL like to play with that appendage.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's because the 30% is global. Most Americans do.
Most American men are circumcised (somewhere around 80%) The 33% is based only on American baby boys. In 2006 the circumcision rate was 56%, in 2009 it was 33%. The rates have been steadily declining in the US.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM

17,388 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
When I was pregnant with DS I was considering not having it done and my normally agreeable husband told me in no uncertain terms that it was going to be done. When I tried to object he told me, Listen you do a lot of research and reading on things so I usually let you make the decisions around here BUT I HAVE A PENIS AND YOU DON'T, this one is my call end of story.

Ok then. He got it done, I don't regret it.

One thing I've always thought was weird though, why exactly is a doctor who specializes in vaginas in charge of cutting a newborns penis?!? I always assumed a urologist was going to perform the procedure and was very confused when my OBGYN showed up to do it.
I wondered about the OB/GYN doing the circumcision, too. I know that it's standard for them to do it but it's still kind of .

I have two boys. Both had it done. No regrets.

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-27-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Do you have any daughters?
Yes. Why?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Always, always, always.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times
I'm another nay voter. Did the research and didn't think it was necessary for my son. Plus, I couldn't imagine having to care for that wound. And surprisingly, hubby left the decision up to me.

For those who say they don't know anyone who's intact, how do you know? (Just wondering, because I don't know any men willing to discuss their penises so openly. )

Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
We chose not to have it done to our boys. It seemed cruel and unnecessary and we are not Jewish or Muslim or religious in any way so that aspect of it didn't apply to us. We've never had any problems. Our boys are now 11 and 15.

It's really important, though, essential, really... to teach your boys from a very early age how to pull back the skin and clean themselves, though. That is why some boys get infections, and also why as they begin to develop larger parts later on the skin is too tight because it hasn't been stretched properly over the years and then they have to have that fixed later, which can be extremely painful, obviously!

So, if you're not going to feel comfortable showing your young sons how to clean and care for their uncircumsized penis correctly, I think it's better to go ahead and circumsize them.

That's probably why hospitals started circumsizing automatically without even asking parents to begin with years ago... because we Westernized societies are so out of touch with our bodies, and make everything seem so dirty or naughty or ugly, that we somewhere along the line lost the art of not only caring properly for our own bodies but teaching our children how to properly care for theirs.

Sad, really.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yes. Why?
I think she's probably getting at the fact that in some cultures they also circumsize their daughters, which for some reason Americans find totally unnacceptable and cruel. Whereas most Americans still have no problem with the idea of circumsizing their sons.

Both the circumcision of males and the circumcision of females make sex less pleasurable for them later on, which goes back to its religious beginnings, so a lot of people wonder why one is deemed OK but the other not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting