Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good morning!

Why is it so hard to get motivated to take the few minutes it takes here and there throughout the day to do laundry?

What is it about laundry that makes us dread it? It's not hard. It doesn't take much of our actual time.

I have three laundry baskets of clean laundry in my bedroom. Hubby did them last weekened. I still haven't put them away.
I have to say I do not mind doing laundry but I hate folding. Then again I hate cleaning.

Dear Santa:

All I want for Christmas is a maid. A really good maid who looks like Ziola and cleans house. I do not mind if she watches her telenovelas in between the laundry and bathroom cleaning. I promise to be a very good girl and not request anything for the next five years.

Yours sincerely,
Mrs. X

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Well, putting DS's room in the basement this summer has now made doing laundry a workout. Down the basement stairs, up two flights of stairs to our room, washer dryer on the main floor...

But I also have to say that it's not so much that part as it is the putting away.

Mrs.X - my sister got one of those rumba vacuums and named it Zoila.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Morning everyone.

Ewag - so sorry to hear about MrEwag's Pops. That's a really tough situation. Thinking of you guys.

MrsX - I wanna share Zoila with you - and LOL re the Telenovelas. She's frickin hysterical.

I think I have already expressed my opinion ad nauseum about the putting away of laundry. I don't care if it sits in the basket looking at me, I'm gonna put it away when I'm good and ready, dammit.

Zim - how are the Wallabies doing? Are we in it? Is it the World Cup you're talking about?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well, putting DS's room in the basement this summer has now made doing laundry a workout. Down the basement stairs, up two flights of stairs to our room, washer dryer on the main floor...

But I also have to say that it's not so much that part as it is the putting away.

Mrs.X - my sister got one of those rumba vacuums and named it Zoila.

Do roombas work? I always wondered and I was tempted to buy one off of craigslist but decided against it till someone gave me their honest opinion on it.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Do roombas work? I always wondered and I was tempted to buy one off of craigslist but decided against it till someone gave me their honest opinion on it.
My mom got one at a garage sale and loves it, but my dad hates the thing because "vacuums are supposed to leave straight lines, not crop circles".

ETA: I want a Roomba and I want a lawn mower version of a Roomba. Wouldn't it be nice to just let your lawn mower do all of the work for you and you not have to be out in the heat for it.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You're all right. It's the putting away that's the problem.

It's a big deal to find somewhere to put all of those clothes in the three baskets. And then it's hard to continue doing laundry when the baskets are filled.

Buying more baskets did help the process, but it didn't solve the underlying problem: not enough storage space for clean clothes!

I guess this means that getting organized MIGHT make doing laundry easier! But that's a challenge in itself!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
That is why we put off laundry. It isn't hard to wash and dry them. The annoying part of laundry is the folding and putting away. Especially if you are like us and have very little space to actually put things away.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
My mom got one at a garage sale and loves it, but my dad hates the thing because "vacuums are supposed to leave straight lines, not crop circles".
That's funny. Men are weird. Can't live with them. Can't live without them. Then again, we could live without them, couldn't we?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I used to have one. Meh. They don't work well if you have any kind of dual surfaces, like a rug on a hardwood floor, or a rug with any kind of tassle bits on it that can catch it. I used to find myself moving things out of the way so it could do it's thing, which was actually more of a hassle than vacuuming manually. Plus it never seems to vacuum the one spot you really want vacuumed. I used to go pick it up and put it there and it would just frolic off into another part of the room as soon as I put it down.

Other people may disagree with my assessment, though. I think it probably works much better for neater people rather than not the so diligent in the housekeeping dept.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I don't know if it's worked for my sister or not. They have stained cement floors and I don't think any rugs, so maybe it works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.