Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
The precise reason I loathe carpet. I feel like I lived half my life scrubbing it!
I know! We really debated about putting it upstairs, but I didn't think I'd like the wood in the bedrooms, and then we had the stairs to deal with. At least upstairs is low traffic and no one has shoes on.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Aarrgh! We have red clay soil here, and light carpets. It's a nightmare. Most of our main floor level is hard flooring thank goodness, but any carpet we have is yuk! Our living room has a bizarre carpet that is dark blue ( , but understood due to clay) with a light beige border. Weirdest thing I have seen. I can't wait to rip it out and replace it with hard woods.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Our soil is kind of sandy. We have hard-wood throughout except for the bathroom tile. We put down patterned area rugs and they catch the soil so it can't scratch the wood, and let the vacuum cleaner deal with the rugs. After a few years, we just toss out the rugs and buy new ones. MUCH cheaper than having them cleaned.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
jk - enjoy your new flooring! I love having hard flooring in the main area of the house. Love it. I only wish we could have done it when the kids were little - so much easier to clean than carpet. It also reminds me to keep Macie's nails trimmed. If I can hear her clicking when she walks, it's time for a trim.

DH and friend just left to golf. It's very overcast, kind of foggy even today. But supposedly we're going to hit 90 later this week. Yikes.

House is clean, so I plan on spending today being a blob. Watching movies or reading.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
House is clean, so I plan on spending today being a blob. Watching movies or reading.
That sounds nice! I wish we didn't have the graduation party to go to later on.

We listed some of our older things on craigslist yesterday to give away free - I use craigslist a lot. I gotta say, I know it gets a bad rap, but we have met some of the NICEST people.

We've got a lot to do before the flooring is put in! Two rooms need to be painted. I will get much joy from dripping paint on this horrible carpet.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We've got a lot to do before the flooring is put in! Two rooms need to be painted. I will get much joy from dripping paint on this horrible carpet.
At least you are doing that in the right order. I know someone who decided to paint (including seilings) right after new floors were put in. It didn't go well.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I know! We really debated about putting it upstairs, but I didn't think I'd like the wood in the bedrooms, and then we had the stairs to deal with. At least upstairs is low traffic and no one has shoes on.
Wood floors are best in bedrooms for people who have allergies.

Sleeping so many hours per day in a room with an allergen horder (carpeting) makes allergies worse.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I need soda alternative ideas.

We want to cut out soda, for a healthier diet and savings. I spend about $200/month on soda for the household. That's over 4 two liter bottles per day. It's amazing we're not fat.

Hubby has already stopped drinking Pepsi. He replaced it with ice tea---mixes it up by the gallon each day.

I don't like tea. I was thinking lemonaide, but that would be just as expensive or maybe more expensive than soda. Right?

I've tried the lemon or lime wedges in ice water. It's nice for a week, but then I get bored.

Any ideas?

Old 05-29-2011, 03:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I need soda alternative ideas.

We want to cut out soda, for a healthier diet and savings. I spend about $200/month on soda for the household. That's over 4 two liter bottles per day. It's amazing we're not fat.

Hubby has already stopped drinking Pepsi. He replaced it with ice tea---mixes it up by the gallon each day.

I don't like tea. I was thinking lemonaide, but that would be just as expensive or maybe more expensive than soda. Right?

I've tried the lemon or lime wedges in ice water. It's nice for a week, but then I get bored.

Any ideas?
I know it isn't the healthiest, but we switched to the powdered drinks. We have this 2.5 gallon container in the fridge that is always filled with a drink. When anyone gets thirsty, you just open the tap and you are good to go. We started doing that when DD was about 3 so we didn't have to worry about her spilling an entire pitcher on the floor. We have a second container filled with filtered water. DD usually goes for the water.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
We went for a hike earlier, and came upon this very grumpy snapping turtle. We was quite big with a shell length of about 18 inches.

Hopes - have you tried the Soda Stream? I have not personally, but know people who swear by them.

Make your own soda and seltzer! - Everyday Food Blog - MarthaStewart.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting