Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 AM

613 posts, read 992,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If your child's very smart, does All his work, mostly on time.....you are a very fortunate woman....You have a fine son, and don't let anyone else tell you different.I agree with standupandbecounted ,I wouldn't spend any money on any "professionals" to tell you what you already know...

I agree! I have been fortunate in this area with all my kids. They are all very bright and my first born is actually gifted (He is an adult now). This has, however, led to behavior difficulties in school for all my kids due to boredom. Back when my oldest was in elementary, schools would never even consider ADHD for a kid who excelled in school. If my oldest were in school today, they would have been hammering down my door to have him medicated. Today, he is a very successful adult!

My middle child's 1st grade teacher also suggested my dd was ADHD and recommended I bring her to see a medical doctor, which I ignored. She is now in middle school and consistently on the honor roll.

I am actually beginning to consider having my youngest son 'tested', not for ADHD, but for giftedness! School comes easily for him, he is reading well above grade level, he writes wonderful stories (though his handwriting is horrid), straight A's all through school and his state testing scores are typically in the high 90-something percentile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Wow. I would pay the teacher no heed at all on the ADHD thing. The school psychologist either. If you aren't seeing anything to indicate ADHD at home, leave it alone. I would totally ignore it.

Give your son a pep talk and remind him the year is almost over and keep up the good work and forget everybody else.

There is no need to take him for any kind of evaluation. Normal boys should not be made something they're not just because his bottom isn't in his seat 100% of the time. I think 20% is just right .

Tell the school, 'Thank you for your interest, but I know how to take care of my son.'.
I wanted to rep you with a small comment but that option was unavailable on your post. I have gotten a TON of excellent advice in this thread, and I want to thank everyone sincerely!

But for some reason, the bolded statement above has had the biggest impact on me. As I lay awake last night in what has been a series of sleepless nights since this whole fiasco began, I kept coming back to this one statement. And I realized that, as a SAHM, I have dedicated myself completely to the raising of my children. I have not given over my job to the school. I know what is best for my child and I will not give in to the narrow minded individuals who feel they can 'raise' my son better than I can.

Thank you!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,529,412 times
IMO Teachers and doctors are too quick to diagnos ADHD. Just because your son can not sit still and seems a bit disinterested is what I would consider NORMAL. My daughter can't sit still for more that 30 seconds, constantly talks and also doesn't pay attention if the subject doesn't interest her, heck I do that, that doesn't mean she or I have ADHD. IMO Teachers all too often expect too much from children as far as sitting still for long periods of time. A lot of kids can't sit without fidgeting. I think for her it would be easier to medicate your son than for her to take control of her classroom and do her job.

As long as he is getting his work done and is not failing he is fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
They get one recess, but it's at the very end of the day. They pack up to go home and bring their backpacks outside with them, then 10 minutes later (if they get out in time), the kids get on the bus.

To further complicate matters, my son has severe allergies and has to sit at the allergy table every day. He is not allowed to even visit his friends at the regular table once the kids are finished eating lunch. They do not go outside after lunch and he is forced to sit at a table with two boys who spent the first 6 months of school bullying my son before something was finally done.

As for the psych eval? I AM livid. I am considering contacting the Superintendent of Schools regarding this. At the very least, it is ethically wrong and has now created an atmosphere of mistrust between myself and the school.
Well, there you go. They aren't smart enough to realise (apparently) that a healthy little boy, or girl, has got energy to burn. I'd ask the school how many other kids they've decided have ADHD and have called in the psychs. I'm betting you aren't the only one.

I'm a Boomer. Back then we got a morning recess, a lunch/recess, and an afternoon recess. And recess consisted of tether ball, dodge ball, monkey bars, kick ball, and just a lot of running around. They then lined us up and had us all get a nice drink of water and we were more than ready to go back in and sit and listen to the teacher for a couple of hours. There were hardly any diagnosis of ADHD back then. Coincidence? Personally, I think not.

And they force him to sit at a "special" table with kids who bully him? Unbelievable.

Yeah. Tell them, "Thanks, but no thanks." Stick to your guns.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Then, on the flip side, what if he really does have ADD . It really isn't a reflection of your parenting skills if he does have ADD. ADD is a medical condition that can be treated. 4th grade is a VERY common grade for bright kids to "suddenly" exhibit symptoms because they have been able to do work without issue up to this point. What is the harm in having further evaluation to rule this out? Besides, teachers do NOT diagnose ADD, medical dr's do. The teacher took proper steps, referred him to the school psychologist-who is trained to observe these behaviors. They concluded that further evaluation was necessary. They didn't say he was ADD, just that they thought further evaluation was necessary.

When our son was in 4th grade, his teacher suggested testing as well. We really didn't think he had ADD but we sure wanted to rule it out. He went through the testing and he did not have ADD or any other learning disabilities. At least we knew that.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
I know you have issues with this particular teacher. Fine. Choose to ignore the advice the school has given you. What will you do if next year's teacher says the same thing? BTW kids can be gifted and have learning disabilities at the same time. The school spelling bee winner this year has SPD and PDD NOS, and is in the gifted program.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, there you go. They aren't smart enough to realise (apparently) that a healthy little boy, or girl, has got energy to burn. I'd ask the school how many other kids they've decided have ADHD and have called in the psychs. I'm betting you aren't the only one.

I'm a Boomer. Back then we got a morning recess, a lunch/recess, and an afternoon recess. And recess consisted of tether ball, dodge ball, monkey bars, kick ball, and just a lot of running around. They then lined us up and had us all get a nice drink of water and we were more than ready to go back in and sit and listen to the teacher for a couple of hours. There were hardly any diagnosis of ADHD back then. Coincidence? Personally, I think not.

And they force him to sit at a "special" table with kids who bully him? Unbelievable.

Yeah. Tell them, "Thanks, but no thanks." Stick to your guns.
That is NOT what ADD/ADHD is about. Yes, kids have energy to burn, but most kids are able to control that until the appropriate time. For kids with ADD it is about PROCESSING information. Watch a kid with ADD try to do a math worksheet sometime. Watch how their eyes dart around the page vs reading it sequentially. A child with ADD is like trying to watch a movie from the middle of the movie and trying to figure out what is going on with no help. They are always that step or two behind because by the time their teacher says take out your workbook, turn to page 50 and answer questions 10-15, they are still trying to process take out your workbook.

ALL kids with ADD/ADHD are able to "control" themselves for periods of time. It isn't ALWAYS exhibited. Kids are VERY different at school than they are at home-even without ADD/ADHD.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I know you have issues with this particular teacher. Fine. Choose to ignore the advice the school has given you. What will you do if next year's teacher says the same thing? BTW kids can be gifted and have learning disabilities at the same time. The school spelling bee winner this year has SPD and PDD NOS, and is in the gifted program.
The chances of this happening have now actually increased, as I am sure his current teacher will impart her biased opinion on next year's teacher.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is NOT what ADD/ADHD is about. Yes, kids have energy to burn, but most kids are able to control that until the appropriate time. For kids with ADD it is about PROCESSING information. Watch a kid with ADD try to do a math worksheet sometime. Watch how their eyes dart around the page vs reading it sequentially. A child with ADD is like trying to watch a movie from the middle of the movie and trying to figure out what is going on with no help. They are always that step or two behind because by the time their teacher says take out your workbook, turn to page 50 and answer questions 10-15, they are still trying to process take out your workbook.

ALL kids with ADD/ADHD are able to "control" themselves for periods of time. It isn't ALWAYS exhibited. Kids are VERY different at school than they are at home-even without ADD/ADHD.
My son exhibits none of this. In fact, he exhibits no ADD/ADHD behavior whatsoever, other than 'not being able to sit still'. Interestingly, the teacher imitated what she was seeing, which was basically shifting in his seat, moving the feet into a tucked under the tushie position, crossing/uncrossing his legs, twirling his hair, fiddling with his necklace and/or object from his desk.
Sounds like me at the movie theater, even when I'm engrossed in the movie!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM

705 posts, read 1,760,785 times
Quote:
Besides, teachers do NOT diagnose ADD, medical dr's do.
Teachers do not, correct. MDs can and do, but so can psychologists and school psychologists.

Quote:
The teacher took proper steps, referred him to the school psychologist-who is trained to observe these behaviors.
NO. Not correct steps. Parent should have been consulted prior to psychologist putting eyes on one particular child. Parent has to consent prior to psychologist performing psychological services to a particular child, which includes classroom observation of a particular kid. Observation of a classroom as a whole is ok, because the consultation is to the teacher re: classroom management techniques. The teacher does not necessarily have culpability here, it is the psychologist's responsibility to be clear that consent is needed prior to observing particular child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting