Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
I'm okay with this and don't see anything wrong with it. 12 57.14%
I'm not okay with this. It's wrong and inappropriate. 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times

Advertisements

Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

What do you guys think about this? Should elementary aged school children be taught about transgenderism and "gender identity" and would you want your children being taught about these sort of things?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
I do not see a problem with it at all. Nowadays gender diversity is everywhere? For example- we were at a MLB game in which my kids were sitting right in front of a lesbian couple clearly acting like a couple. My older kids were 8 and 5 at the time and my husband haveing excellent communication skills explained what it means to be "gay" and "lesbian" in terms appropriate for a young child. We've had open communication about sexuality issues from the beginning (appropriate names to call your body parts, what happens when your body changes, discretion, proper hygeine practices, etc.. all tailored to the developmental level of the child). Things are only going to get more complex as they get older- I'll take all the support I can get from educators and we as parents will "build" off it at home of course!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I agree.Pretending it isn't there is not going to make it go away. Kids are more aware of these things than we know.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Sounds like a great program, I wish my children could attend something like that. The thing that struck when reading the article was I remember learning about transgender fish when I was at school many moons ago.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
For those of you who favor this teaching and wish to supplement it with additional information, you might be interested in reading a book called, "Que*ring Elementary Education." I can't recall the author's name right now. But it has a foreward written by Obama's Safe School Czar, Kevin Jennings. Basically, it tells how classrooms can integrate the teaching of gender-neutral values into every subject matter, from music to literature. I guess the idea is that without ever having to address the subject directly, teachers can help children get away from thinking of themselves as boys or girls but just as unisex kids.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
For those of you who favor this teaching and wish to supplement it with additional information, you might be interested in reading a book called, "Que*ring Elementary Education." I can't recall the author's name right now. But it has a foreward written by Obama's Safe School Czar, Kevin Jennings. Basically, it tells how classrooms can integrate the teaching of gender-neutral values into every subject matter, from music to literature. I guess the idea is that without ever having to address the subject directly, teachers can help children get away from thinking of themselves as boys or girls but just as unisex kids.
Your continuing inference that people who have opposing opinions to yours are ill informed is becoming very tedious. Many people who support programs such as these are very well informed, they just disagree with you. Your kids are not in public school, so why do you continue to villify public schools at each and every turn? It's rather strange.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Oakland school's lessons in gender diversity

What do you guys think about this? Should elementary aged school children be taught about transgenderism and "gender identity" and would you want your children being taught about these sort of things?
Being that we are nowhere to be seen in the top 10 of this PISA study....concentrating of readin, ritin, and rithmatic might be appropriate. Programme for International Student Assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
schools need to continue to improve on the basics--sexual identity can be introduced in middle to high school when the student's comprehension has matured a little(for pete's sake!)----this is conservative old lady coming out here

Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
I have not voted because to be totally honest, I am not sure what I think about teaching them this.

I do teach my kids to be respectful and tolerant of everyone. By that I mean that whether someone is gay, or hetrosexual or black or white or blue or yellow or whatever. It does not matter how they differ from us, they should always be treated respectfully and nice.

On the other hand, we have always encouraged, even enforced, gender identity in our family. My wife and daughters wear dresses and skirts all the time. Men have short hair etc.

So should it be 'taught'?

Actually as I write this I think yes.

Over here in Australia, the christian churches in particular get to teach RE (Religeous Education) half an hour per week in the schools. To me it is a great priviledge but if we are going to retain that privelidge then we need to ensure that other life styles and attitudes also are brought before the kids. To me the risk of not doing this is the eventual removal from the schools of the moderate christian education and that will result in the die hard extremists dreaming up things like intelligent design to try and sneak faith in disguised as science.

So yes, I think that the schools should 'teach' gender identity and awareness stuff.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Eliminate government (public) schools and this problem along with busing, creationism, gender only classes, historical controversies instantly go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting