Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times

Advertisements

What happened to the days when parents werent afraid of their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What happened to the days when parents werent afraid of their kids?
I am not afraid of my kid, so I guess those days are still here. I am not completely sure what you are referring to. Could you clarify?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times
Now that's inappropriate! I can get loud and give my kids a stare down but I never use profanity. I wonder if that parent knows what the "self-fullfilling prophecy" is

Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
What the OP describes is very reminiscent of my own childhood. Along with flying fists and hair pulling was almost a constant barrage of name calling and profanity. I haven't spoken to my 'Mother' in twenty years. This is the behavior of mental illness and anger control issues. My sympathy to these children.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
No. I haven't/would never say those kinds of things to my children.

However, I have met a few parents who have. It's the one place I stick my nose into other people's business. If I hear that I'll tell the parents to knock it off. There is usually steam coming out of my ears and I let them have it pretty good. There's a lot I can tolerate. Treating children like this is not one of them.

I think 90% of them have actually apologized they were so shocked to be called on it. I'm not large but I can swell up like Momma Griz and show some teeth in this circumstance.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
I never would, but I know loooooooooooots of people who would and have, unfortunately.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I would not talk to a 5 year old like that. Ever.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I don't even use the word "stupid" around my child. I don't know why I hate when someone calls another person stupid, but it really bothers me. I can't imagine calling DD a female dog. That doesn't even make sense. .

Seriously though, that is out of line. I am a pretty laid back parent, but my DD wouldn't be going over to that house any more. Who knows when mom might get comfortable enough that she starts calling your DD those names. I also just wouldn't want my daughter around those kinds of relationships.
I hear you on the word "stupid". I have never said that to my child and never will.

I have told her she is not allowed over to their house, just found out they are moving in the morning back to North Carolina. The kids aren't even finishing out the school year and it ends on the 15th.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
I wouldn't say that to my kid but admittedly, I have used profanity. My language can get a bit salty after quite a few years in the military. I restrain myself but I'm not perfect. Believe me, the little darlings have heard far worse on the bus. My kids knew the full arsenel of cuss words at an early age and not from my husband and I. My little 2 year old son called some lady a f*ing b*itch at day care and everyone was so shocked. I politely explained that this was not a bad word he would hear at home. After some digging around, they found the culprit--another little boy.

Would I use bad language to call my daugther a f*ing b*itch? Never. Your neighbor was just been mean.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am not afraid of my kid, so I guess those days are still here. I am not completely sure what you are referring to. Could you clarify?
"Oh no, we cant do anything to our kids. They might call the police on us or put us in an old folks home. Oh no, let the kids do whatever they want, they might get mad and kill us"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting