Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times

Advertisements

This is a tough one and kudos to you for being supportive to your SS.

I have very mixed emotions about this topic. My dad pushed me into the military for a variety of reasons. He was a pilot in the AF and felt that a stint in the military would be good for my development (plus he didn't have to pay for my college, lol). I ended up going into the Army at a fairly young age. For me personally, the military gave me focus and direction. It gave me all my education--college, grad school, etc. I was a bit clueless when I graduated from high school and I must say that the military shaped my life. I met my husband there and made it a career for 21 years. Of course, I entered the service in the 80's in a very different environment from what it is today.

Frankly, I probably wouldn't push my kids into it nowdays since I have very mixed emotions about what is happening in the world today. My kids came along after I had retired so they have never seen that side of me. We have lived as civilians their whole lives. Many of my military friends have had their son's and daughter's follow their footsteps and enter the military. Kudos to them. It is certainly an honorable calling.

On the other hand, if your SS is confused and has a real desire to enter military service, not much you can do about it. Has he picked a branch of service? If my kids were gung-ho, I would probably recommend the Air Force (my first choice actually when I was first applying for military schools) or perhaps the Navy. The service can be an outstanding place to shape a young person. On the other hand, if he already has scholorships that would pay for his education, that is a tough thing to give up. I would recommend that he continue his education and if he has a burning desire to enlist at a later day, at least he would have a degree in hand.

Good luck to you. It is certainly a hard time now days and the world is changing in ways that is pretty scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It depends.
OK a Law Degree or Medical Degree, some engineering

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Try to encourage him to stay in school then join the millitayr when he is done with school

Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Try to encourage him to stay in school then join the millitayr when he is done with school
No. they all need to back off and and also let him know that they support him no matter what he does... I think that part of his problem may be that everyone is telling him what is best for him and he feels that he has no input into it...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No. they all need to back off and and also let him know that they support him no matter what he does... I think that part of his problem may be that everyone is telling him what is best for him and he feels that he has no input into it...

If they don't support him on what he does, then why should they lie to him and tell him they support him no matter what he does?

The difference between a wise man is a fool is a wise man listens to, processes, and considers advice from his family and people he respects which in this case is to take advantage of those scholarships and worry about "finding himself" later.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
He can and should do both. I say this as someone who was military. If he really wants to join, he should get his degree and then join as an officer. It's a much better option.
My 18 YO son just enlisted in the Army National Guard. He will go to college for criminal justice while he is in
This. Have him finish his degree on his scholarships even if it is a generic business degree. Then if he still wants to, he can join the military. Going into the service with a degree will place him in a much better position as he will most likely join as an officer and have a lot of choice as to what areas he wants to pursue. As an added benefit any debt he does accumulate getting those degrees will most likely be paid off by the military. If he wanted to he could also continue his education while in the military working towards a MBA or into a more specialized degree.

Additionally, not every branch of the service is pounding the ground in the current wars. Joining the Navy or Air Force has huge upsides in terms of technical and logistics training and chances are you won't be getting shot at.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
I agree that my husband and his ex, my SS's parents, aren't listening. My SS tries to provide his own input, he isn't heard. However, my husband is starting to calm down about it, not sure about mom. I think we can all support him in what he does without necessarily agreeing with it and or the timing of it all. Well, I know I can and my husband will and again, not sure where mom's at on it right now. It's more important that his actual parents start listening no matter what the outcome is. He really wants SS to go in as an officer, overall I agree with that. Anyhow, I wish they would stop jumping his case about it at every turn or he's going to drive himself straight to the recruiter's office and sign everything just to get out of here. I do believe he's not interested in the Army or Marines, mostly Navy and AF.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
Directed towards the Op...

A hard place to be but being that you were asked therefore asked to become part of the situation and therefore giving your honest opinion you gave it..bottom line..People should be more careful when they ask questions instead ask but state the agenda behind it i.e. "Do you think "sam" should throw away 2 scholarships and join the military?...btw..I do not want him to join and neither should you" This seems as if your husband wanted back up and not an honest opinion...But being that you are not a mind reader you stated what you felt...

Okay this kid wants to join the military..many questions to be asked...
What branch can offer him the best experience? What is he more inclined to? I.E. Army, Navy, Marines or Airforce?
A enlistment of active duty is typically a 4 year enlistment. This includes boot camp, school ( Training in his MOS) Then a perm. station.
He may never see Combat or get stationed overseas unless he puts in for it..
He can get an education though the G.I. bill however they are a little bit stringent in the majors that soldiers enlist in..Meaning they will pay for some degrees and not others, tell him this..

Maybe there can be a compramise...He join the reserves and this way it is not a huge committment..it means training at the beginning and then one weekend a month and he can still go to college at home..Downfall? Being a reserve can mean he be activated to active duty and be shipped overseas..it is a gamble either way..

If he is of age it is all about education before the recruiters get a hold of him..
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting