Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,059,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
?

Both my parents were working at the time and they were living within their means so that they could take care of their children properly.
Why does that read as an indictment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
And he probably doesn't like to have a whole lot in his stomach because it can cause nausea and sluggishness.
Bingo. Especially in the heat. They were out running hills and its pretty hot out right now.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,874 times
Quote:
?

Both my parents were working at the time and they were living within their means so that they could take care of their children properly.
I lived within my means. I cared for my children properly.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
does that mean mom cooked 3 meals/day? cooked. 3 hearty meals. every day? And are you implying that the rest of us are not caring for our children properly if we don't do that?
No... if you read my previous post that LeavingMassachusetts quoted, I specified that my mom did not cook 3 hearty meals a day when she was working. But she did make sure that we ate 3 hearty meals everyday, rather than frozen foods, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Why does that read as an indictment?
Because LeavingMassachusetts sarcasm about how my family handled healthy eating got to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I lived within my means. I cared for my children properly.
I never said you didn't . Read my original post, it said nothing about you.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
My parents cooked maybe one meal a day, if that. I am a male who is now 25 years old. I weigh the same as I did in high school (165lbs), I could run a marathon today, I can ride a century on my bike (100 miles without stopping) and I am in general in better shape than many people I meet. My blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. has always been great...

The idea of a parent staying home and cooking three meals a day is antiquated, at best. Wake up, realize it isn't 1950 any more and stop making insulting topics like this.

EDIT:
And OP - by the way, my daily breakfast right now is a smoothie I make by blending spinach, lettuce, fresh berries, a banana and plain yogurt. I bet it is healthier than any 'real breakfast' you cook for your kids. Maybe you have something to learn from parents like mine.

Last edited by hnsq; 07-13-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,874 times
Quote:
No... if you read my previous post that LeavingMassachusetts quoted, I specified that my mom did not cook 3 hearty meals a day when she was working. But she did make sure that we ate 3 hearty meals everyday, rather than frozen foods, etc.

Because LeavingMassachusetts sarcasm about how my family handled healthy eating got to me.

I never said you didn't . Read my original post, it said nothing about you.
Your original post came across as how easy it was to cook 3 meals a day when you are a working Mom, just hire help!! Seriously? Good for your parents but most of the population can't afford a personal chef. If I could, I would not have worked and stayed home to raise my kids.

You can raise your kids properly without hiring a chef.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,059,669 times
So what are you feeding your kids during summer vacation?

We do sandwiches most days for lunch, but I'm out of bread today, so I made a quick grain salad from leftover quinoa (a summer staple for our family), cherry tomatoes, shredded chicken, and sliced green onions topped with green chile dip. The lettuce bed in our garden is going great guns, so I see a lot of hearty salads in the near future.

For breakfast, my son had a whole wheat tortilla filled with cream cheese, sliced apples, and cinnamon sugar. My daughter had early swim practice, so she made herself a fruit smoothie. Sometimes they have cereal with milk and fruit or frozen waffle with the same. I had yogurt topped with strawberries and sliced almonds.

For dinner, both kids will be at a swim celebration where pizza will be served. If they were home, I'd probably make chicken burritos, using the leftover roast chicken, which I bought pre-roasted. No way am I turning on the oven in high summer!

What about you?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Your original post came across as how easy it was to cook 3 meals a day when you are a working Mom, just hire help!! Seriously? Good for your parents but most of the population can't afford a personal chef. If I could, I would not have worked and stayed home to raise my kids.

You can raise your kids properly without hiring a chef.
Yes, you can, I agree. You can cook/make healthy meals for them. I have nothing against quick fixes like making subs, homemade soup, salads, etc.... but frozen popcorn shrimp, frozen tv dinners, microwave meals, kraft mac n cheese, hamburger helper is bad for children's health and should not be eaten regularly.

I think parents substitute garbage such as frozen chicken nuggets and french fries as home cooked meals and that's a big reason why we have an obesity problem.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
These days its hard to find a young woman that cooks. But I bet if more young women cooked and were "wifey" material, the guys would do their responsibility and divorce rates would go down.
I think women are too busy inventing new and improved fake orgasms to convince their really bad lovers of spouses that they were actually worth bedding, and by the time they're ready to come up with plans for their kitchen activities, they're just all creatived out.

Do yourself a favor - get off the internet and go back to work, so you can support whatever wife is willing to actually put up with you.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Quote:
Yes, you can, I agree. You can cook/make healthy meals for them. I have nothing against quick fixes like making subs, homemade soup, salads, etc.... but frozen popcorn shrimp, frozen tv dinners, microwave meals, kraft mac n cheese, hamburger helper is bad for children's health and should not be eaten regularly.

I think parents substitute garbage such as frozen chicken nuggets and french fries as home cooked meals and that's a big reason why we have an obesity problem.
When my husband installs air conditioning in the house, I'll cook every day for him. Til then, he gets home-made mac & meatballs on Monday, and the rest of the week he eats whatever fast food crap I'm willing to drive out and pick up for him. In my air-conditioned car.

Edited to add: my husband is a saint. He puts up with me. But if I believed for one moment that he thought he was marrying a maid and a personal chef, I would've had him institutionalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting