Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
These days its hard to find a young woman that cooks. But I bet if more young women cooked and were "wifey" material, the guys would do their responsibility and divorce rates would go down.
I am saying this as an unmarried 25 year old guy. Do YOU know how to cook?

If you pulled your weight and cooked half of the time instead of treating women like house-servants, you might have a happier life.

Maybe someone who is married can correct me if I am wrong, but personally...I don't see how cooking wouldn't be a shared responsibility. (Also, from my experience women go crazy for a guy who is a good cook)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
When my husband installs air conditioning in the house, I'll cook every day for him. Til then, he gets home-made mac & meatballs on Monday, and the rest of the week he eats whatever fast food crap I'm willing to drive out and pick up for him. In my air-conditioned car.
Right... because a wife couldn't possibly pick up the phone to get an air conditioner installed.

Visit a Home Depot... It's not much harder than buying drapes. Pick a model and installation date. Why complicate it any more?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Right... because a wife couldn't possibly pick up the phone to get an air conditioner installed.

Visit a Home Depot... It's not much harder than buying drapes. Pick a model and installation date. Why complicate it any more?
Oh this is gonna be good.

<------------anxiously awaiting Anons reply

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Hubby = person who pays the bills in the family.
Wife = person who buys the groceries and arranges the meals in the family.

Wife !/= carte blanche to buy whatever she wants for the home, with hubby's credit card, and assumes hubby makes enough money to afford to pay the bill when it comes in.

Hubby !/= filled moneyvault just begging for wife to empty it out.

House !/= equipped for individual unit air conditioners; entire house must be re-ventillated, and central installed. This is a major home improvement, not something wife can just call Home Depot and order it delivered.

Maybe I'll just find out who you are, call Home Depot, and have them install my brand new central air, and put the tab on your bill, him? Oh and by the way, I'm taking your personal chef next Thursday, I'm inviting Wills and Kate for supper and I've heard he does a hell of a job with Peking Duck.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Hubby = person who pays the bills in the family.
Wife = person who buys the groceries and arranges the meals in the family.

Wife !/= carte blanche to buy whatever she wants for the home, with hubby's credit card, and assumes hubby makes enough money to afford to pay the bill when it comes in.

Hubby !/= filled moneyvault just begging for wife to empty it out.

House !/= equipped for individual unit air conditioners; entire house must be re-ventillated, and central installed. This is a major home improvement, not something wife can just call Home Depot and order it delivered.

Maybe I'll just find out who you are, call Home Depot, and have them install my brand new central air, and put the tab on your bill, him? Oh and by the way, I'm taking your personal chef next Thursday, I'm inviting Wills and Kate for supper and I've heard he does a hell of a job with Peking Duck.
My bad. I have this silly notion that marriage is based on communication, not typecasting. I'm glad I'm not your husband. Whatever works for you though.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
If my kids ate something I cook at 6:30am, they would likely die of food posioning. I am not coherent enough to take my shower without drowning until 7:30, which just happens to be the time DH drives them to school.

BUT, while a healthy meal is important, there are other factors to balance into the equation. Actually sitting down to eat meals as a family and listening to each other is as important as the meal. A child needs to learn independance.... s/he can build this skill by fixing their own breakfast (gasp... cold cereal).

To say that a child who eats cold cereal or some other meal not 'cooked' has bad parents is judgemental. None of my children have weight problems but that is beside the point. I do not want to be Donna Reed, and don't really care if you think this makes me a bad parent, your opinion means nothing to me . Have fun spending all your time cooking.... as for me, I am going to spend the hour before I get my kids to fix their own lunch (gasp... should I get out the turkey or ham for the sandwiches??) watching cartoons with them and put off the chores until later... have a good day.
I like your post.
A few weeks ago I was "cooking" hashbrowns in the oven for my picky grandkid and accidentally sprayed oven cleaner on them instead of spray butter (to brown them).

As others said cooking dosent = healthy. Mom cooked breakfast, biscuit/gravy, taters, bacon, sausage and eggs; lunch ususally soup and sandwich, and big fried greasy, cheesy suppers including a sweet desert all washed down with a big glass of milk. Not so healthy eating by todays standard. We never had salad, fruit or things baked, except pizza.

We were all thin. Because we went outside and played. Rode bikes (with no helmet or knee pads) and walked to the park (by ourselves). We didnt have internet, ipods or play stations and we were'nt allowed to sit inside and watch all 3 channels on TV during the day.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
So what are you feeding your kids during summer vacation?

We do sandwiches most days for lunch, but I'm out of bread today, so I made a quick grain salad from leftover quinoa (a summer staple for our family), cherry tomatoes, shredded chicken, and sliced green onions topped with green chile dip. The lettuce bed in our garden is going great guns, so I see a lot of hearty salads in the near future.

For breakfast, my son had a whole wheat tortilla filled with cream cheese, sliced apples, and cinnamon sugar. My daughter had early swim practice, so she made herself a fruit smoothie. Sometimes they have cereal with milk and fruit or frozen waffle with the same. I had yogurt topped with strawberries and sliced almonds.

For dinner, both kids will be at a swim celebration where pizza will be served. If they were home, I'd probably make chicken burritos, using the leftover roast chicken, which I bought pre-roasted. No way am I turning on the oven in high summer!

What about you?
How is quinoa carb-wise compared to pasta? I have removed pasta, and pretty much any carb-loaded side dish from my diet until i lose about 10 lbs. I wonder if quinoa would be a good substitute, or just as bad as the pasta.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
How is quinoa carb-wise compared to pasta? I have removed pasta, and pretty much any carb-loaded side dish from my diet until i lose about 10 lbs. I wonder if quinoa would be a good substitute, or just as bad as the pasta.
Quinoa has 30g carbs/serving and 7g protein. The brown rice in my cupboard has 40g carbs/serving and 3g protein. Same portion size.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Is there a reason you're removing carbs from your diet? Pasta isn't typically a problem for me if it's whole grain and eaten in moderation. When I need to lose a few pounds I usually just stop eating sweets and drink only water with meals.

As for quinoa, I like it because it's filling, easy to prepare, inexpensive, and it keeps well in the fridge, so it's always available to bulk up a green salad (we're drowning in garden lettuce right now) or toss with herbs for a quick side dish. It also makes a good breakfast grain.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
We are experimenting a lot with quinoa at the moment, and everyone loves it. Also worth mentioning it is whole grain, loaded with fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting