Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
If they can afford it. by all means, do it. Women belong in the home and that's where they do the most good anyway in my opinion. I don't want my wife working her fingers to the bone until 65. I want her to be at the house. raising kids and being a good wife.

Women shouldn't even want to work like Men do . it's very taxing on the mentality and the body.
Ahhh. Seems we've gone from one extreme to another. This is the part where I thank Gloria Steinem.

Women belong everywhere.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ahhh. Seems we've gone from one extreme to another. This is the part where I thank Gloria Steinem.

Women belong everywhere.
This thread seems to pull for the extremes - I say we just let the extremists duke it out with each other.

And right on to the rest of your post.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Quote:
If they can afford it. by all means, do it. Women belong in the home and that's where they do the most good anyway in my opinion. I don't want my wife working her fingers to the bone until 65. I want her to be at the house. raising kids and being a good wife.

Women shouldn't even want to work like Men do . it's very taxing on the mentality and the body.
Yep. You are absolutely right. I am a woman so I must be better at doing things at home than at work. I should stay home even though I have more education and have more natural business instincts than my husband. Forget the fact that my salary is much higher than DH's. Let's also forget the fact that I am useless around a house. I cannot cook at all and am not a good housekeeper.

DH likes to cook and clean and does not have a head for business. I am not good and cooking or cleaning, but have a head for business. You are absolutely right. Women belong in the home.

Last edited by num1baby; 09-26-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM

616 posts, read 854,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Women belong everywhere.
No they don't. just like Men don't belong everywhere. that's ridiculous.

Today's society is filled with women wanting to do what men do. Well, how about you women do it ALL so us Men can stay home, watch the kids, watch the games and sit on our butts and drink beer and enjoy being a stay-at-home-dad?. . I'd love to try that for about a year just to see how much "women belong everywhere"

I bet my house by the year's end Women will be protesting on Capital Hill on how unfair the process is...LOL..

So do yourself a favor and ENJOY the position you have in society. It's not a bad deal when you put it in perspective.

Unless you think construction is sexy and you wanna do it, by all means, go do it and find out how hard it really is. I bet you'll dream of that cooking apron and baby poop again

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not going to debate this with you as it's your experience but I'd really like to know in what way you think the children you raised as a SAHM are better than the children you raised as a WM and how your working status resulted in that difference. You're the first mother I've met to claim that her working status made one set of children turn out better than the other set.
Note that your recall may be somewhat poor-- I said that it has been different, and that thus far, our current way of doing things is working better. The subtleties therein may have escaped you.
As for "I'd really like to know"...sometimes, people are destined to experience disappointment. Looks like this is your turn.

Quote:
Even subjectively defined, "better" should be quantifiable. Either you see a difference or you don't. Either that difference is attributable to your working status or it isn't. I suspect that many SAHM's who claim it's "better" to SAH really just prefer to SAH and, for some reason, think they need to justify the choice.
You're a terribly black and white thinker.
I already said there was a difference. What is subjective is whether or not that difference is a good one. And that, my dear, is simply not black and white. Sāi Wēng Shī Mǎ, etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:

Today's society is filled with women wanting to do what men do. Well, how about you women do it ALL so us Men can stay home, watch the kids, watch the games and sit on our butts and drink beer and enjoy being a stay-at-home-dad?. . I'd love to try that for about a year just to see how much "women belong everywhere"

I bet my house by the year's end Women will be protesting on Capital Hill on how unfair the process is...LOL..

So do yourself a favor and ENJOY the position you have in society. It's not a bad deal when you put it in perspective.

Unless you think construction is sexy and you wanna do it, by all means, go do it and find out how hard it really is. I bet you'll dream of that cooking apron and baby poop again
Hellooooo.....you do realize this is 2011, don't you? There are women working construction, and there are men who stay home with the kids. And guess what, it's their choice to do what works for their family. Funny how that works.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 AM

616 posts, read 854,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Yep. You are absolutely right. I am a woman so I must be better at doing things at home than at work. I should stay home even though I have more education and have more natural business instincts than my husband. Forget the fact that my salary is much higher than DH's. Let's also forget the fact that I am useless around a house. I cannot cook at all and am not a good housekeeper.

DH likes to cook and clean and does not have a head for business. I am not good and cooking or cleaning, but have a head for business. You are absolutely right. Women belong in the home.
I didn't say that. read what I actually said. I said "they do the most good at home" and they do. you can use your degrees at home, write a book, open an accounting firm from home, cool...just stay your butt at home where you belong. what kinda sense does it make if I work on a construction crane and you worked driving the concrete truck? WHO is going to take care of the kids?

I see the problem, the problem is women don't want the responsibility of raising the kids any more so you're using "women's lib" as an excuse to throw those duties in the trash can and let the daycares handle YOUR responsibility.

This is the sole reason Daycares exists and overpacked today. Women don't wanna stay at home and take care of the kids. and it has nothing to do with a weak economy. women have been lobbying to vacate the home for years.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:

Oh hooray, the bonbon and soap opera stereotype. Does your wife stay home with your children? Does she sit on her butt all day? That is unfortunate. There are lots of stay-at-home parents around here (mostly moms but some dads too), and they seem pretty busy to me.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:

I DO do it all. As does my husband. I bring home half the bacon. I do the bills/ financials. I do about half the housework. I maintain the family calendar. Do much of the kid shuttling. There is so much to do that DH does not have a bunch of time to sit on his butt as he does much of this stuff, or other stuff like home repair and car maintenance. But we do fit in leisure time.

Quote:

I enjoy my position in society very much. You are sitting in some kind of way back machine if you think women aren't already in the workforce. Sisters have been doing it for themselves for a while now.

Quote:
I'm not in the construction trade. But I do help my husband with the home repair. I know how to operate a framing nailer.

I do know that software engineering is pretty hard. I love it. But no where NEAR as hard as raising kids.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think the "better" Ivory is referring to quantitatively is from

Maternal employment and perception of sex roles among college students.
Vogel, Susan R.; Broverman, Inge K.; Broverman, Donald M.; Clarkson, Frank E.; Rosenkrantz, Paul S.
Developmental Psychology, Vol 3(3, Pt.1), Nov 1970, 384-391.

Where it was found that children on working mothers had a higher sense of innate equality of men and women and their roles.

Additionally, a summary by the APA of 50 years worth of research showed that there were no detrimental effects of mothers working on their children.

Maternal Work Early in the Lives of Children and Its Distal Associations With Achievement and Behavior Problems: A Meta-Analysis," Rachel G. Lucas-Thompson, PhD, Macalester College; Wendy A. Goldberg, PhD and JoAnn Prause, PhD, University of California, Irvine. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 136, No. 6.

A nice summary of that article can be found here:

Working Moms’ Kids Turn Out Fine, 50 Years of Research Says – TIME Healthland

So quantitatively there is no difference in achievement or behavior and there are slight but statistically significant difference where the children of WMs are more likely to find women and men to be more equal.
I think using a forty-plus year old study to draw conclusions about millennial children is perhaps less than ideal. What it actually says is that, in that time period, that was the case. Since society has changed significantly over those forty years, I don't think it's a repeatable effort.

Not to mention that there is a difference between "fine", which I don't believe has been argued against, and "better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting