Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,161,952 times

Advertisements

I pretty sure back in the time when people handmade items for multiple babies, the gift giver wasn't also asked to give money to throw a party or help support the new parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I pretty sure back in the time when people handmade items for multiple babies, the gift giver wasn't also asked to give money to throw a party or help support the new parent.
Nah, they just had potluck lunches and dinners. They made food for the new mom and family. Came over and cleaned her house while she took care of the new baby.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,161,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nah, they just had potluck lunches and dinners. They made food for the new mom and family. Came over and cleaned her house while she took care of the new baby.

That's quite different than asking for money.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
That's quite different than asking for money.
I don't think it is.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,309 times
Quote:
That is still a job for family and friends, not colleagues.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM

466 posts, read 816,800 times
I've said I don't mind second showers, but I find the way that it works at CT's office quite off-putting. Instead of putting up a flier that says basically "It's Baby #2 for Jane! Please join us for cake and punch in the conference room at 2 p.m. Wednesday," people have been told what to buy and how much to spend. Oh, and expected to kick in for the food and decorations. That is beyond tacky. And you can't even really ignore it because your lack of participation is tracked.

The shower hostesses need an etiquette lesson.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
That is still a job for family and friends, not colleagues.
Then don't do it. Easy! LOL

Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. In a work environment, gift giving and $ collecting is tricky business. One is frequently unsure of the implications/repurcussions. For that reason things like that are generally better left alone.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,309 times
Quote:

Which is great, except that CTgirl is saying that the culture in her office is that people's contributions are kept track of - IMO, you go to work to work and should not have to deal with the fall-out of choosing not to give for every silly occasion someone decides needs a party. It's work, not junior high. I would feel differently if it was optional, but in the real world, there are office politics involved in things like this, which is where it becomes inappropriate. Giving to give because you want to is wonderful. Giving because you are made to feel as though you have to just because you come to work every day is coercion.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM

13,591 posts, read 10,007,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. In a work environment, gift giving and $ collecting is tricky business. One is frequently unsure of the implications/repurcussions. For that reason things like that are generally better left alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Which is great, except that CTgirl is saying that the culture in her office is that people's contributions are kept track of - IMO, you go to work to work and should not have to deal with the fall-out of choosing not to give for every silly occasion someone decides needs a party. It's work, not junior high. I would feel differently if it was optional, but in the real world, there are office politics involved in things like this, which is where it becomes inappropriate. Giving to give because you want to is wonderful. Giving because you are made to feel as though you have to just because you come to work every day is coercion.
I totally agree with this. People's budgets are stretched tight, and they shouldn't be subjected to pressure from other people to spend money they don't have.

In fact, I think I'm going to see eastwesteastagain's coercion, and raise you one extortion.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 08-04-2011 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: wrong coercer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting