Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,412,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Maybe its the same chick! LOL. You aren't lying this is totally passive aggressive behavior. What a PITA.

Mom has lost the plot, as the British would say. The point is to sell a few cookies, earn a badge. She needs nothing from you, someone in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
A couple of weeks ago DH and I were at a Walmart in an upscale area. There was a group of boys in their soccer jerseys holding out jars asking for change. (Their dads were there.) DH said, "What are you selling?" Boys said, "We aren't selling anything, we're just asking for spare change for our team." DH looked at the dads and said, "You're teaching them to panhandle?" The dads got kind of huffy.

We didn't "donate".

Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,412,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A couple of weeks ago DH and I were at a Walmart in an upscale area. There was a group of boys in their soccer jerseys holding out jars asking for change. (Their dads were there.) DH said, "What are you selling?" Boys said, "We aren't selling anything, we're just asking for spare change for our team." DH looked at the dads and said, "You're teaching them to panhandle?" The dads got kind of huffy.

We didn't "donate".
LOL!

Why don't they get out there and rake some leaves/shovel some snow for some donations?
Lazy little...#$#$

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The individual troop only gets around 50-60 cents per box. And around here, it's the parents who push the cookies because they want their girls to win the prize. It's all about the prize, for the parents. The girls whose parents encourage to actually learn from the experience, are guaranteed to lose, because the girls whose parents do all the work for them, will sell the most cookies. We have girls whose parents dole out huge funds to buy cases and cases of cookies, and then when they come in, they have sales outside the supermarket to peddle them off to customers.

It might sound like a nice convenience, but think about what's happening - the kids are learning how to be cashiers. And at that point, they also already know who won the prize. So that girl scout selling at the supermarket might be the loser - but she's stuck selling those boxes anyway because mom bought 40 cases of them in the hopes that she'd be the big winner.

Around here they're $4.50 for a box too. No small chunk of change for 28 cookies not much bigger than a silver dollar in size.
Wow so much of this post is incorrect I'm not sure where to start. First of all I've been a girl scout and a cookie mom for my daughter's troop for a few years and here's how it actually works (at least in our state). Before they ever even get the cookie order forms and begin selling the girls have to do a safety program in a meeting (where they practice safe selling, using their manners and managing the money). They also can participate in an on-line interactive safety program as well.

Then they can begin selling on the official start date. To the OP -when you mentioned that you didn't want cookies sent to you the woman should have either mentioned the gift of caring program or cookies for heroes. They are two programs where a person can donate money for cookies either for the needy or our military. Girl Scouts directly ships those cookies out so there is nothing further you or the mom would have to do once the donation is made.

Where I live it is a mixture of girls going door to door and girls and parents selling to family friends and coworkers. I have never seen the girls in a competition for prizes. Usually everyone gets a patch for selling and they can earn t-shirts and gloves and things like that. There are prizes like a Mp3 player or a laptop but you would need to sell literally thousands of boxes to be in the running. Believe me when I say it is not all about the prizes.

Cookie booths are run through the council and service unit. A parent couldn't just buy boxes and have their own booth. The space has to be reserved through the service unit (which in our case is our town). It has to be fair so that all the troops in the town can schedule a booth and they are not overkill in one particular area. Also girls can't just be at a booth on behalf of a troop without their leaders and the appropriate forms filled out and permission slips in place. Boxes sold at a booth sales are divided equally among the girls who participate. Believe me when I say that the Girl Scouts of America is a well oiled machine.

The only real advantage a girl who sells 200 boxes has over a girl who sells 20 boxes is that she could earn some credits to use towards summer camp. The money the troop makes is for the troop and the girls vote on what they would like to do with it.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Wow so much of this post is incorrect I'm not sure where to start. First of all I've been a girl scout and a cookie mom for my daughter's troop for a few years and here's how it actually works (at least in our state). Before they ever even get the cookie order forms and begin selling the girls have to do a safety program in a meeting (where they practice safe selling, using their manners and managing the money). They also can participate in an on-line interactive safety program as well.

Then they can begin selling on the official start date. To the OP -when you mentioned that you didn't want cookies sent to you the woman should have either mentioned the gift of caring program or cookies for heroes. They are two programs where a person can donate money for cookies either for the needy or our military. Girl Scouts directly ships those cookies out so there is nothing further you or the mom would have to do once the donation is made.

Where I live it is a mixture of girls going door to door and girls and parents selling to family friends and coworkers. I have never seen the girls in a competition for prizes. Usually everyone gets a patch for selling and they can earn t-shirts and gloves and things like that. There are prizes like a Mp3 player or a laptop but you would need to sell literally thousands of boxes to be in the running. Believe me when I say it is not all about the prizes.

Cookie booths are run through the council and service unit. A parent couldn't just buy boxes and have their own booth. The space has to be reserved through the service unit (which in our case is our town). It has to be fair so that all the troops in the town can schedule a booth and they are not overkill in one particular area. Also girls can't just be at a booth on behalf of a troop without their leaders and the appropriate forms filled out and permission slips in place. Boxes sold at a booth sales are divided equally among the girls who participate. Believe me when I say that the Girl Scouts of America is a well oiled machine.

The only real advantage a girl who sells 200 boxes has over a girl who sells 20 boxes is that she could earn some credits to use towards summer camp. The money the troop makes is for the troop and the girls vote on what they would like to do with it.
Oh and -Cookie booth cookies come from the local "cookie cupboard" (like a regional storage depot) not the troops initial cookie sale. Unsold booth cookies are returned to the cupboard at the end of the booth sales so no one is ever "stuck" with anything.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
Quote:

We didn't "donate".
EXACTLY. Where I used to live they would be at the highway exits near a busy shopping center shaking that can. Panhandling is exactly what it is. I would say to my husband "shouldn't they be washing cars somewhere?". Asking for donations for someone else is fundraising. Asking for money for yourself is begging.

When I see girlscouts with a little table set up I always buy a box (if I didn't already order from someone else).

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Quote:

We didn't "donate".
What!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Oh and -Cookie booth cookies come from the local "cookie cupboard" (like a regional storage depot) not the troops initial cookie sale. Unsold booth cookies are returned to the cupboard at the end of the booth sales so no one is ever "stuck" with anything.
Not here. We can't return our booth cookies. We budget carefully. We have used those extra cookies as snacks though at some of our events.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
laulob, I'm not incorrect. What happens in your area, with your region, is what happens in your area, in your region. Nothing you say contradicts anything I say. What happens in my area, is exactly what I said happens. A friend has a kid who's in girlscouts and she's had a table out with another scout and her mom, in front of the supermarket. The moms bought several cases of boxes within the appropriate sales period, and upon delivery, they brought them to sell at the market. The girls are out there, and there's usually at least one mom as well. The scout leader is never there, unless the leader is one of the girls' moms who's out there doing the selling.

I've worked in an office where a mom bought several cases to "up" the chance of her daughter winning a prize, and she brought the cookies to the breakroom to sell them.

Maybe YOUR area only offers free or reduced price camp for the winner - ours offers that, plus other things such as bicycles, computer printers, and last year there was a computer accessories kit, including a 21-inch flat screen monitor, mouse, and ergonomic keyboard for the grand prize winner.

When I was a scout, the grand prize was a bicycle. That was in the 1970's. This is factual, it's not incorrect. Many scout troops use proceeds to provide prizes for the winner of the cookie sales period. Not all of those prizes are a week at camp.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,319,515 times
I say: "I'm sorry but no thank you" and leave it at that..And I just don't let myself feel guilty. Pushy people annoy me and they won't stop if they always find a way to "win us over."...I feel guilty about too many things already! But people who refuse to take "no" for an answer make me mad and this stops me from feeling guilty. Talk about being self-centered. YUK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting