Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Can you say that about ANY parent according to what inanimate object they use for their children?
Yes, I can and I will.

Think a minute about how broad your statement is.

I think I can say that a parent that uses an inanimate taser on a child deserves some criticisim, don't you?

A leash doesn't approach that situation, but it's the same principle.

So hell yeah, I sure can.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yes, I can and I will.

I think I can say that a parent that uses an inanimate taser on a child deserves some criticisim, don't you?

so, you think you can accurately say that ALL parents who use a leash are lazy, and compare it to using a taser, and you don't understand why someone might be offended by that?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
☛ Children On Leashes

Evidently I'm not alone.
Like I said pages ago:

Using a leash to protect a child = disgusting, vile, shameful

Taking photos of a child on a leash & posting on the internet = A-ok

Makes total sense to me!!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
so, you think you can accurately say that ALL parents who use a leash are lazy, and compare it to using a taser, and you don't understand why someone might be offended by that?
ALL is not a word I have used.

In my mind, it's using physical force to obtain compliance where such force is rarely really necessary or appropriate.

In principle, it's not all that different.

And you don't understand why someone might be offended by that?

HollywoodFlakes: This Leash Demeans Us Both

Remember this?

Again, I'm not exactly out on a limb by myself here. What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XKfSHedHY

Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Yes, I can and I will.

You know what I meant, but then I understand you are simply going for shock value at this point instead of any meaningful back & forth.

::yawn::

Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Like I said pages ago:

Using a leash to protect a child = disgusting, vile, shameful

Taking photos of a child on a leash & posting on the internet = A-ok

Makes total sense to me!!
Which would be a straw man argument, since no one here has said it is digsuting, vile or shameful in all circumstances.

These days, when people - who are often armed with miniature video cameras in public - see someone doing something that they consider stupid, they tape it and upload it to the Internet.

How you glean some moral or ethical point about this in this context is something I don't quite understand.

There are a lot of people who think leashing a child is demeaning and wrong. So let's just all stop pretending that this opinion just arrived on the last shuttle from planet Bizzaro, because it didn't.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You know what I meant, but then I understand you are simply going for shock value at this point instead of any meaningful back & forth.

Yawn right back at you, I think people here are just too defensive.

Actually, it makes me wonder why.

//not really.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

She did the same to me, knows what we are all saying but is playing at being obtuse

I do wish Julia would close the thread, because all valid points have been made at this point and there is really nothing left to discuss.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default I second that motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
She did the same to me, knows what we are all saying but is playing at being obtuse

I do wish Julia would close the thread, because all valid points have been made at this point and there is really nothing left to discuss.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
ALL is not a word I have used.

In my mind, it's using physical force to obtain compliance where such force is rarely really necessary or appropriate.

In principle, it's not all that different.

And you don't understand why someone might be offended by that?

HollywoodFlakes: This Leash Demeans Us Both

Remember this?

Again, I'm not exactly out on a limb by myself here. What about this?

Mom Drags Child On Leash Through Verizon Store [video] - YouTube
So, you are basing your opinion on one mom out of, I would imagine, many thousands, who drags her kid, and an episode of The Simpsons?? That mom would have been dragging her kid by the arm or carrying him anyway.

Child Leash | Child-Awarness.Com

The one a little ways down that looks like a monkey is the one I had (only mine was a bear). My kids stayed upright the whole time. There was no dragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.