Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times

Advertisements

Michelle is 45 now. She has crossed a danger threshold and the risks are becoming greater and greater.

We Are Not Surprised: Michelle Duggar Loses 20th Pregnancy « Dr. Linda Burke-Galloway

Excerpt: "93.4% of woman who are over 45 will have a miscarriage. Or put another way, only 6% of pregnant women over age 45 will deliver a baby. 7% of all women Duggar’s age will have an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy and 8.2% will have a stillbirth. One out of 19 pregnant women who are age 45 will have a baby with Trisomy 21 or Down’s syndrome."

Aside from the risks to the baby, the more pregnancies, the more risks there are for the mother.

Too Many Pregnancies: Health Risks of Large Number of Pregnancies to a Woman's Body - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

For one thing, she could bleed to death because the uterus has a more difficult time contracting after so many births. Also, the placenta is more likely to be in the wrong place because of scar tissue.

Unfortunately, she isn't going to listen. She has stated on the show that she will willingly lay down her life to have more children. This is part and parcel of the Quiverful Movement, which downplays the risks of lots of pregnancies.

The article below was originally on NO LONGER QIVERING. The owner of the site used to be part of the movement and recognizes all the books the Duggars have linked to on their web site. She knows where they are coming from.

Maternal Martyr, Michelle Duggar, Willing to Risk Life for Baby No. 20 | RH Reality Check

Michelle also downplays the risk of pre-eclampsia. I saw one article where Michelle said she read a lot about pre-eclampsia and that it's totally unpredictable. But that isn't true. Pre-eclampsia happens most to the youngest mothers and the oldest mothers. Your risk goes up if you've had it before and she had it in her 2nd pregnancy and her 19th pregnancy. She fits the known pattern.

She also had gall bladder problems with her 19th pregnancy, which also fits the pattern.

But then Michelle reads a lot of Quiverfull literature which isn't based in medical reality. Michelle's risk of pre-eclampsia in future pregnancies is 40% right now according to the link below.

Despite risks, Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar are open to the idea of more children - San Francisco Sexual Health | Examiner.com

I believe the Jim Bob and Michelle truly love each other and their children, but they are too tied up in their religious outlook on childbearing to avoid tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

I believe the Jim Bob and Michelle truly love each other and their children, but they are too tied up in their religious outlook on childbearing to avoid tragedy.
This.....and the fact that each new baby probably guarantees them another year of their show.

I think they're so wrapped up in their celebrity, which revolves around how many babies she can poop out, that it's like an addiction and may be difficult to stop, no matter what the doctors say.

I think it's time for an intervention.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Michelle is 45 now. She has crossed a danger threshold and the risks are becoming greater and greater.

We Are Not Surprised: Michelle Duggar Loses 20th Pregnancy « Dr. Linda Burke-Galloway

Excerpt: "93.4% of woman who are over 45 will have a miscarriage. Or put another way, only 6% of pregnant women over age 45 will deliver a baby. 7% of all women Duggar’s age will have an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy and 8.2% will have a stillbirth. One out of 19 pregnant women who are age 45 will have a baby with Trisomy 21 or Down’s syndrome."

Aside from the risks to the baby, the more pregnancies, the more risks there are for the mother.

Too Many Pregnancies: Health Risks of Large Number of Pregnancies to a Woman's Body - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

For one thing, she could bleed to death because the uterus has a more difficult time contracting after so many births. Also, the placenta is more likely to be in the wrong place because of scar tissue.

Unfortunately, she isn't going to listen. She has stated on the show that she will willingly lay down her life to have more children. This is part and parcel of the Quiverful Movement, which downplays the risks of lots of pregnancies.

The article below was originally on NO LONGER QIVERING. The owner of the site used to be part of the movement and recognizes all the books the Duggars have linked to on their web site. She knows where they are coming from.

Maternal Martyr, Michelle Duggar, Willing to Risk Life for Baby No. 20 | RH Reality Check

wow! those stats are staggering, assuming they're true.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I think they're so wrapped up in their celebrity, which revolves around how many babies she can poop out, that it's like an addiction and may be difficult to stop, no matter what the doctors say.
While I don't agree with the Duggar's religious views by a long shot, I actually think they are totally sincere. I say that based on observation from way back when the show started. I haven't seen any change in personality with the success of the show. They are exactly the same people as when they lived in a small crowded house and were slowly building their current house with their own hands. Show or no show, they were already committed to leave the decision of how many children they have "up to God".

They have said they see their show as a ministry. They want their Quiverfull beliefs to spread.

I just think their beliefs about God and childbearing could end up killing Michelle and/or harming any future infants. But even if Michelle died, I don't think Jim Bob and the family would waver or second guess themselves, heartbroken as they would be.

They are entrenched in their beliefs and they believe this is how God wants them to live. Through their grief, they would comfort themselves that they followed God even unto death.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
wow! those stats are staggering, assuming they're true.
They are. You can look up the stats by age range and see the progression of danger.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This.....and the fact that each new baby probably guarantees them another year of their show.

I think it's time for an intervention.
Maybe Jimbo needs to be introduced to five-fingered Sally, and leave his wife alone until she reaches menopause. Just kidding...sort of.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
Quote:
While I don't agree with the Duggar's religious views by a long shot, I actually think they are totally sincere. I say that based on observation from way back when the show started. I haven't seen any change in personality with the success of the show. They are exactly the same people as when they lived in a small crowded house and were slowly building their current house with their own hands. Show or no show, they were already committed to leave the decision of how many children they have "up to God".

They have said they see their show as a ministry. They want their Quiverfull beliefs to spread.

I just think their beliefs about God and childbearing could end up killing Michelle and/or harming any future infants. But even if Michelle died, I don't think Jim Bob and the family would waver or second guess themselves, heartbroken as they would be.

They are entrenched in their beliefs and they believe this is how God wants them to live. Through their grief, they would comfort themselves that they followed God even unto death.
I think that if they saw their show as a ministry they would forgo their handsome salaries and donate a huge portion to charity.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I think that if they saw their show as a ministry they would forgo their handsome salaries and donate a huge portion to charity.
Why?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Maybe they do donate and just don't announce it. Many Christians believe that donations to charity should be done quietly because the blessing comes from God knowing you gave. Not your neighbors. (Or in this case, television audience.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-14-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM

The Duggars have been seen helping lots of people on their show. Again, their sincerity isn't the problem at all. Their rigid ideas about what God wants from them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting