Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

In one show one of the girls was interested in becoming a midwife. About the comment about not using a college degree in a specific profession. I would guess most college graduates don't end up doing something career wise in the subjects they majored in in college. That is not the purpose of college, at least not a 4 year degree. maybe a technical school.

College is a tremendous growing experience with exposure to all aspects of life and opportunities. But most importantly it exposes young people to different kinds of families and choices. I don't think that family wants the children exposed to anything other than their own fundamentalist beliefs. That's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 AM

884 posts, read 1,406,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In one show one of the girls was interested in becoming a midwife. About the comment about not using a college degree in a specific profession. I would guess most college graduates don't end up doing something career wise in the subjects they majored in in college. That is not the purpose of college, at least not a 4 year degree. maybe a technical school.

College is a tremendous growing experience with exposure to all aspects of life and opportunities. But most importantly it exposes young people to different kinds of families and choices. I don't think that family wants the children exposed to anything other than their own fundamentalist beliefs. That's sad.
They can have their own fundamental beliefs, but if they remain isolated, they're not going to learn how the outside world works, that not every one shares their beliefs.

But just because you go out into the real world, that doesn't mean you're going to turn into a bad person.

All of us here have certain beliefs and things we don't want any part of. Yet we continue on each day, staying away from things we don't like or agree with.

I wonder if the girls are allowed to vote.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
They strongly favor their kids going into their own businesses, which is what the oldest boy did.
So there's a tendency towards self-sufficiency using the American free enterprise system?

I'm all for that.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
I looked at other sources online and found those that said 50% and higher, and those that said up to 80% or 90%. So, the doctor who said 93.4% is not all alone.

And to be clear, she was talking about over age 45. From age 40 to 45 even, the risk climbs a lot.

Michelle Duggar was 43 when she had her life-threatening 19th pregnancy. Now she is 45, so ...
That TV doc is alone in stating such a specific number as 93.4%. I consider the March of Dimes a reliable source, and this is what they say:

Pregnancy after 35 | Pregnancy | March of Dimes

Does the risk of miscarriage increase as a woman gets older?
Most miscarriages occur in the first trimester for women of all ages. The risk of miscarriage increases with age. Studies suggest that about 10 percent of recognized pregnancies for women in their 20s end in miscarriage (1). The risk rises to (1):

•About 20 percent at ages 35 to 39
•About 35 percent at ages 40 to 44
•More than 50 percent by age 45
The age-related increased risk of miscarriage is caused, at least in part, by increases in chromosomal abnormalities.

It doesn't say how much more that 50% for women age >45. One reason, I think, is b/c there are far fewer women at that age getting pregnant, making accurate statistics difficult to calculate.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,314 times
Duggar Memorial Photos | Celebrity Photos | TMZ.com

Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
I saw this last night. I, unlike many others, don't see anything wrong with the photos nor how the Duggars chose to display them.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I saw this last night. I, unlike many others, don't see anything wrong with the photos nor how the Duggars chose to display them.
Who had a problem with them? I don't recall anyone here having a problem.

Very nicely done, and brought tears to my eyes as the memories came back to me.

I am, however, chuckling at the fact that when I opened that page, right next to the photos there was an ad that said "Satan Stuff".

Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That TV doc is alone in stating such a specific number as 93.4%. I consider the March of Dimes a reliable source, and this is what they say:

Pregnancy after 35 | Pregnancy | March of Dimes

Does the risk of miscarriage increase as a woman gets older?
Most miscarriages occur in the first trimester for women of all ages. The risk of miscarriage increases with age. Studies suggest that about 10 percent of recognized pregnancies for women in their 20s end in miscarriage (1). The risk rises to (1):

•About 20 percent at ages 35 to 39
•About 35 percent at ages 40 to 44
•More than 50 percent by age 45
The age-related increased risk of miscarriage is caused, at least in part, by increases in chromosomal abnormalities.

It doesn't say how much more that 50% for women age >45. One reason, I think, is b/c there are far fewer women at that age getting pregnant, making accurate statistics difficult to calculate.
The Mayo Clinic disagrees with the March of Dimes. They say 80% for over 45.

Miscarriage: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

Here's another.

Odds of Miscarriage - Risk Factors and Odds of Miscarriage

And as you said, many sources say "at least" 50%. They are reluctant to be specific, but they are acknowledging it could be higher.

80% of all miscarriages happen in the first three months. A lot of times, the woman didn't even know she was pregnant and doesn't know she had a miscarriage.

The difference in figures may be a difference in whether they are counting statistics for unknown miscarriages along with the reported miscarriages.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
The Mayo Clinic disagrees with the March of Dimes. They say 80% for over 45.

Miscarriage: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

Here's another.

Odds of Miscarriage - Risk Factors and Odds of Miscarriage

And as you said, many sources say "at least" 50%. They are reluctant to be specific, but they are acknowledging it could be higher.

80% of all miscarriages happen in the first three months. A lot of times, the woman didn't even know she was pregnant and doesn't know she had a miscarriage.

The difference in figures may be a difference in whether they are counting statistics for unknown miscarriages along with the reported miscarriages.
Regardless, no one else is saying 93.4%. My stats are for recognized pregnancies.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Who had a problem with them? I don't recall anyone here having a problem.

Very nicely done, and brought tears to my eyes as the memories came back to me.
Really! Where do people get ideas that no one expressed?

It is ALL sad.

I was sad at what happened to Josie in birth #19. I think Josie suffered greatly just trying to breathe and she has a congenital defect in her stomach. I was sad that Michelle was in danger of dying too. And I was sad to see the tears in Jim Bob's eyes as it was all happening on TV.

But their beliefs have invited the sadness in. I am sad that the Duggar's genuinely believe God wants them to soldier on and allow this to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting