Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times

Advertisements

I wanted to add to what I wrote..

McD's was sued for causing obesity in kids... Even though it was the parents who brought their kids to McD's, etc..
The Gov't gives these people food stamps but doesnt limit what they buy...so they get free money to buy all the junk they can eat..and then things like this happen..
DUH!! They do need to put a cap on what food stamps can be used for!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They're going to have to take about a third of the kids away from their parents where I live.
Do you really have that many extremely obese children in your region? This boy is 200lbs @ 9 years old. That's not just chubby boy or technically slightly obese before a growth spurt.

Quote:
When a mother cannot stop feeding her obese child junk food or too much food even after he's having trouble breathing, it probably is time to call it abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
That is an excellent idea about limiting food stamps to only healthy food!! It also had me thinking that the government is to blame for handing ignorant people food stamps so that they can go buy junk food!! Then when the ignorant people's kids get too fat, the government takes them away..
I always wondered how poor people could afford to be fat. Food stamps can't buy enough junk food for an entire family to become morbidly obese.

Someone explained to me, it's not junk food, it's how they cook---frying everything, gravies, etc.

The are healthy foods when bought at the grocery store----they become fattening by how they are cooked.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
There is no mention of a dad, and this example is why food stamps should be limited to only a few real food purchases. For those people who are dependent on the government in the first place, they don't have a lot of room to complain when they think the government has too much control over them.

When a mother cannot stop feeding her obese child junk food or too much food even after he's having trouble breathing, it probably is time to call it abuse.

I totally agree Malamute. The mother did commit child abuse in my eyes also if the child cannot breathe due to her neglect! The kid will end up getting diabetes and have many more medical issues due to the mother's neglect. They then grow up into overweight adults with even more severe health issues. Scary!

I agree Lucia! The govt. should step in and allow only healthy foods and limit the junk intake if they are on food stamps.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
The kid isn't 13, he is turning 9.. The mother is most likely obese also.. Very sad.. Obesity has become an epidemic and I'm starting to think that the "fat tax" is an excellent idea!! Maybe they should start writing tickets for being fat..\
Before we start punitive measures, I think we need to address food production and distribution. The cheapest food, by far, is the junkiest, highest calorie, least nutrient rich.

Also, I believe that the biggest problem with weight is that our bodies were CORRECTLY designed to store fat. During times of feast, we store fat so that in times of famine we can use that energy.

For many of us, we don't live in a world where there are ever famines or shortages of food.

We need to learn to strengthen our MINDS to over ride the realities of our body. I think we need to start training our minds. Get our kids and ourselves educated about mindfulness. Mental helath counseling should be part of universal health care. We should have access to mind strengthening activities akin to gym memberships.

I think we should massively funding health prevention programs. When I quit smoking, my nicotine patches were not covered by insurance, for example. They should be!

If there was some way to tie illness treatment coverage to how well one maintained their wellness, then wellness incentive would be higher. Right now you can smoke 2 packs a day, and you will still get massively expensive cancer and emphysema treatments. You can be 300 lbs, get gastric bypass surgery, gain your 300 lbs back and still get treatment for your busted staples.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you really have that many extremely obese children in your region? This boy is 200lbs @ 9 years old. That's not just chubby boy or technically slightly obese before a growth spurt.

I always wondered how poor people could afford to be fat. Food stamps can't buy enough junk food for an entire family to become morbidly obese.

Someone explained to me, it's not junk food, it's how they cook---frying everything, gravies, etc.

The are healthy foods when bought at the grocery store----they become fattening by how they are cooked.
The cheapest foods are the worst. A bag of potato chips compared to fresh produce?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

There are many very obese kids, a lot more than you would have seen 20 years ago, not to the point they can't breathe but they can no longer run, climb trees and they are at big risk of diabetes and more obesity. There seems to be a definite link to food stamps, invariably when you see a huge mother waddling through the store with a bunch of huge kids waddling along with her, they fill the cart with lard bricks, soft drinks, cookies, and all sorts of junk foods and pull out the food stamp card to pay.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
There are many very obese kids, a lot more than you would have seen 20 years ago, not to the point they can't breathe but they can no longer run, climb trees and they are at big risk of diabetes and more obesity.
They used to call type 1 diabetes juvenile onset. They cannot anymore because so many kids are getting type 2 diabetes.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Before we start punitive measures, I think we need to address food production and distribution. The cheapest food, by far, is the junkiest, highest calorie, least nutrient rich.

Also, I believe that the biggest problem with weight is that our bodies were CORRECTLY designed to store fat. During times of feast, we store fat so that in times of famine we can use that energy.

For many of us, we don't live in a world where there are ever famines or shortages of food.

We need to learn to strengthen our MINDS to over ride the realities of our body. I think we need to start training our minds. Get our kids and ourselves educated about mindfulness. Mental helath counseling should be part of universal health care. We should have access to mind strengthening activities akin to gym memberships.

I think we should massively funding health prevention programs. When I quit smoking, my nicotine patches were not covered by insurance, for example. They should be!

If there was some way to tie illness treatment coverage to how well one maintained their wellness, then wellness incentive would be higher. Right now you can smoke 2 packs a day, and you will still get massively expensive cancer and emphysema treatments. You can be 300 lbs, get gastric bypass surgery, gain your 300 lbs back and still get treatment for your busted staples.
Actually that's just a popular myth. A $3 bag of potato chips is not cheaper than a $3 ten pound bag of raw potatoes, a $1 candy bar is not cheaper than a $1 bag of carrots or head of lettuce. A $4 pack of soft drinks is not cheaper than $3 gallon of milk.

Junk food is more expensive, it costs money to remove the nutrition and add a lot of corn syrup.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Actually that's just a popular myth. A $3 bag of potato chips is not cheaper than a $3 ten pound bag of raw potatoes,
a. I can't get 10lbs of potatoes for $3.
b. I would not call potatoes the kind of produce I am talking about.

If you look around the produce department and the meat department, the stuff is expensive. If you eat things like pasta, canned beans, prepared foods, you can get dinner on the table a whole lot cheaper than if you use varied produce and LEAN cuts of meat which is what I consider healthy.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Actually that's just a popular myth. A $3 bag of potato chips is not cheaper than a $3 ten pound bag of raw potatoes, a $1 candy bar is not cheaper than a $1 bag of carrots or head of lettuce. A $4 pack of soft drinks is not cheaper than $3 gallon of milk.
Totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
a. I can't get 10lbs of potatoes for $3.
b. I would not call potatoes the kind of produce I am talking about.

If you look around the produce department and the meat department, the stuff is expensive. If you eat things like pasta, canned beans, prepared foods, you can get dinner on the table a whole lot cheaper than if you use varied produce and LEAN cuts of meat which is what I consider healthy.
That's not true. When I stopped buying processed food, my grocery bill went way down. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats are not expensive when you're only buying whole foods. Try it sometime. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of meat, a weeks worth of fresh fruits and vegetables, brown rice, whole grain bread, and some milk and juce. I guarantee you that your grocery bill will be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting