Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times

Advertisements

Folks, please try to keep the conversation focused on food choices as they relate to parenting, or about the story in the OP. We're wandering into a general discussion about nutrition that would be better suited to the Food forum. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,950,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
$7.99 per pound. The entire "meat" discussion is about being able to affordably eat healthy foods. For people on tight budgets, $7.99 per pound doesn't qualify.
You are the one who said that ALL deli meat was heavily processed and super unhealthy. My comment to you is "BS". Not true.

While its true that large cuts can be less expensive per pound many people on a budget cannot shell out the high initial cost for large cuts of meat. It's easier for them to come up with the $5 to buy half a pound of roast beef than to buy a large roast which might be cheaper by the pound but requires you to buy 5 pounds or so at a time.

Quote:
There's an appliance called a freezer. It's very useful too. The entire roast can be cooked and a portion reserved for the freezer. Or the raw roast can be butchered at home into smaller cuts and frozen to be cooked in the future.
Yes-I'm sure all these people who are eating on a budget have the money for freezers.

Quote:
Before you respond about it taking more time, remember the context here. We're not talking about what many people do. We're talking about ways to buy healthy food more cheaply.
What you said is:

"Deli meat is a processed food and super unhealthy. "

That is not necessarily true regardless of the context.

Quote:
WAY less than Momma_bear's $7.99 per pound. The bigger cuts of meat you buy, the cheaper the meat is per pound. If you're buying quality, quantity is the way to go for saving money. When I buy from a local organic farm where the animals aren't given hormones or antibiotics, quality meat is only $2/pound at the most.
There is nowhere around here to buy organic beef for $2 per pound. Nowhere.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I depends on where you live. Most metros have farms in the surrounding areas within a hour's drive. If you buy meat in bulk from these farms, you save lots of money, which is especially great if you find an organic farm. I buy mine from here: Mish Farms Meat Market Inc
Maybe most metros in PA do, but around here it is hard to find that sort of place.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,218,233 times
Quote:
WAY less than Momma_bear's $7.99 per pound. The bigger cuts of meat you buy, the cheaper the meat is per pound.
Watch that unit price because that is not always the case. But my question is WHERE. You can get boneless chicken breast hear for as little as $1.99 a pound. And when it is on sale at that price, we stock up! But that is the exception, not the norm. If there were other sources of inexpensive meat I can load my fridge up with, I would be overjoyed.

Quote:
If you're buying quality, quantity is the way to go for saving money. When I buy from a local organic farm where the animals aren't given hormones or antibiotics, quality meat (even expensive cuts of steaks, etc.) is only $2/pound at the most.
Don't I wish. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I checked the local organic beef farms here. $9-17 per pound, depending on the cut.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Watch that unit price because that is not always the case. But my question is WHERE. You can get boneless chicken breast hear for as little as $1.99 a pound. And when it is on sale at that price, we stock up! But that is the exception, not the norm. If there were other sources of inexpensive meat I can load my fridge up with, I would be overjoyed.
I can usually get chicken at that price. I shop at a local shop where the prices for natural poultry is less expensive than the supermarket. They also have a better selection than the supermarket when it comes to natural poultry.

Delaware Fresh Poultry | Poultry

Quote:
Don't I wish. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I checked the local organic beef farms here. $9-17 per pound, depending on the cut.
Yeah. I can't even get organic ground beef on sale for $2 per pound around here.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
What about when you buy bulk from the organic farm? More than 70lbs at a time? Or a half a slab of beef? Prices go down considerably when buying bulk.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Maybe most metros in PA do, but around here it is hard to find that sort of place.
Usually these farms are hard to find. You have to actually look for them.

Aren't you in Florida? I found a Country Corner Farm in Jackson county where they sell a whole cow or a half a side of beef, a quarter side of beef, etc. They says that they'll divide a carcus into as litlte as 16 shares so people can benefit from bulk buying even if they can't afford an entire side of beef.

Anyways, this website has a list of farms in Florida. Some are expensive. Some sell in bulk. Eat Wild - Florida I have no idea if any are near you. I'm sure that list isn't all inclusive for Florida too. You'll have to do some research.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Usually these farms are hard to find. You have to actually look for them.

Aren't you in Florida? I found a Country Corner Farm in Jackson county where they sell a whole cow or a half a side of beef, a quarter side of beef, etc. They says that they'll divide a carcus into as litlte as 16 shares so people can benefit from bulk buying even if they can't afford an entire side of beef.

Anyways, this website has a list of farms in Florida. Some are expensive. Some sell in bulk. Eat Wild - Florida I have no idea if any are near you. I'm sure that list isn't all inclusive for Florida too. You'll have to do some research.
Jackson county is about 500 miles from here. There are hardly any farms in this area (near Fort Lauderdale).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,413,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post

What are your thoughts about the child being placed in foster care due to being 200 lbs. at 9 years old? I do not agree with this...A dietitian could intervene and help the poor boy with different eating habits.
A nine year old child does not shop for food and prepare it for the table.

The problem is that the person who does buy it and prepare it --- the mother in this case --- was unable to stop buying junk and learn how to prepare nutritious meals. She was unable to teach the child proper portion sizes and get him exercising. What is a nine year old supposed to do when all there is in the house to eat is chips and soft drinks?

An effort was made to get her to do those things. She did not do it and the child was removed from her care.

My 17 month old grand daughter eats everything from Asian food and Brussels sprouts to zucchini, asks for an orange or a banana for a snack, and mostly drinks water. She is not offered soft drinks. Animal crackers or Goldfish crackers are a treat. She is a ball of energy and always on the move. She eats what she does because that is what she is given to eat.

The obese child we are discussing is not going to be able to go from chips and soda to fruits and vegetables just from a session with a nutritionist.

His Mom has to learn what to buy, how to cook it, and how much her child should be eating. She has to get him into some daily physical activity. When she demonstrates that she has learned how to do that, then the child can come home. The sooner she does it, the sooner he will be returned to her.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Watch that unit price because that is not always the case. But my question is WHERE.
I already said where---directly from the cattle farms. If you look around, you might find a more affordable option in your area. Even if you have to drive an hour or so every few months, it might be worth it to buy in bulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting