Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Ultimately the kid isn't grocery shopping, the MOM is. She created this situation for this kid and if she can't say NO then the kid should be removed. I knew kids in foster care and I know they are usually worse BUT this is serious. She needs counseling, parent classes, and this child needs someone to do what's BEST, not what's easiest.
So you're all for taking a kid out of a bad situation to put him in a worse situation? Makes very little sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Wouldn't it be cheaper for the state to pay for some after school aerobics classes, hire a dietitian to help the family with nutrition and hire a SW to oversee everything then to take the child away from his home and his family and place him with strangers who may or may not be able to help him?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper for the state to pay for some after school aerobics classes, hire a dietitian to help the family with nutrition and hire a SW to oversee everything then to take the child away from his home and his family and place him with strangers who may or may not be able to help him?
It seems that the state already tried all that. The mother was unable to put into actual practice what she was taught to do.

The SW would have to live with the family. There would be no way to pay for that.

The mother was referred to a comprehensive program for obese children. She either did not participate, did not finish, or did not implement what she was shown how to do.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It seems that the state already tried all that. The mother was unable to put into actual practice what she was taught to do.
Did they really exhaust all options other then removing a child from a home where he is wanted and loved?

Quote:
The SW would have to live with the family. There would be no way to pay for that.
I disagree. Weekly visits would be plenty.

Quote:
The mother was referred to a comprehensive program for obese children. She either did not participate, did not finish, or did not implement what she was shown how to do.
The article says that he was enrolled in a program but it did not say if he finished or not. The article says that he was losing weight but gained it back rapidly and the mother thought that other kids were giving him food, she was not happy about that. They told her to encourage exercise so Mom bought him a bike.

From the article you posted:
Quote:
But now lawyers for the mother say they've been told that the foster mother who has the child in a neighboring suburb is having trouble keeping up with all of his appointments.

There was even a discussion about getting the foster mother additional help or moving the child again, this time to a foster home with a personal trainer, Amata said.
County places obese Cleveland Heights child in foster care | cleveland.com

Why didn't they offer a personal trainer when the child was living at home? What makes the state think that a foster family can do a better job with this child? What are the long term effects of being removed from one's home as a child? Ever heard of emotional overeating?

This is a very sad situation.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So you're all for taking a kid out of a bad situation to put him in a worse situation? Makes very little sense to me.
He may get a lovely foster home. I had a friend who went from 3-18 at the same home and they were amazing people. At least SOMEONE objective can monitor this poor child.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
He may get a lovely foster home. I had a friend who went from 3-18 at the same home and they were amazing people. At least SOMEONE objective can monitor this poor child.
You posted that foster homes are usually worse than the situation that the kid comes from. If that is the case why would you take a child out of a bad situation and put them in a situation that is USUALLY (YOUR WORD) worse? How does that make sense to you?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
The boy's parents are overweight (not obese) and his brother is of normal weight. If it's all about the home environment/the mother doing something wrong - Why isn't the rest of the family extremely large? The powers that be want to take this kid away from his family so that they can monitor every bite he takes and every move he makes. Sounds kind of prison-like to me...

This boy is 9 years old. He is old enough to have an opinion about his situation (and his life) - what does he want? Has anyone even bothered to ask him?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Ultimately the kid isn't grocery shopping, the MOM is. She created this situation for this kid and if she can't say NO then the kid should be removed. I knew kids in foster care and I know they are usually worse BUT this is serious. She needs counseling, parent classes, and this child needs someone to do what's BEST, not what's easiest.
I agree! She does need nutritional counseling...She lacks good parenting skills. She definitely needs to be educated more when it comes to her children's nutritional habits. A dietitian and a fitness instructor could pave the way for this child's future. Scary to think a child can get this LARGE....and let it go for so long. I want to know where their pediatrician was through all of this when the weight started to creep up...usually a pediatrician would intervene and suggest or refer the parents to what they SHOULD do to correct this....A sad situation all around!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I agree! She does need nutritional counseling...She lacks good parenting skills. She definitely needs to be educated more when it comes to her children's nutritional habits. A dietitian and a fitness instructor could pave the way for this child's future. Scary to think a child can get this LARGE....and let it go for so long. I want to know where their pediatrician was through all of this when the weight started to creep up...usually a pediatrician would intervene and suggest or refer the parents to what they SHOULD do to correct this....A sad situation all around!
I guess he'll need an advocate to follow him around 24/7: back/forth and during school, friend's houses, extracurriculars, birthday parties, the playground, search his room for forbidden contraband at bedtime....You don't want him getting hold of a snack cake

I saw a documentary on t.v. about a boy who was a very picky eater as an infant/toddler. But when he started nearing puberty his appetite suddenly took off and he began eating anything and everything he could lay his hands on. They put locks on the pantry, searched his room, bought only healthy food. But this kid found a way around all of their safeguards - he even went dumpster diving behind restaurants to get food. Family services/the courts got involved and threatened to take the child out of the home. The parents were at their wits end.

After some years of this, the kid was finally diagnosed with a genetic disorder that makes him always hungry to the point that he physically hurts. No matter how much he eats he can't make that awful feeling go away. There is no cure. The parents now monitor him 24/7, they have to. He'll fall off the wagon as soon as they turn their back.

I wonder if this 9 year old has something similar going on.

Last edited by springfieldva; 12-07-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You posted that foster homes are usually worse than the situation that the kid comes from. If that is the case why would you take a child out of a bad situation and put them in a situation that is USUALLY (YOUR WORD) worse? How does that make sense to you?
Yup..usually is not always. This is a high profile case and I doubt this kid was sent to ghetto foster parents. How is destroying a child's body with food not as bad as destroying a child's body with violence? Emotional abuse is still abuse. Intent has never been more important than results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting