Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,612 times

Advertisements

Obese Third Grader Taken From Mom, Placed in Foster Care - Yahoo! News

Let's see --when I was young I went outside to play all day,kept active, raked leaves, shoveled snow, had fun, rode my bicycle, swam at my friend's pool in the summer. I didn't SIT all day long. This mother should be ashamed of herself. This kid needs a DIETITIAN ASAP! The parents are responsible for their son. The son isn't old enough to make rational decisions on her own. He needs help. The mother needs serious help! What a neglectful woman.My twins go to their primary every year and they are at healthy, normal weights. They don't eat junk, are active and don't have them sitting in front of computers at night or on weekends!

What are your thoughts about the child being placed in foster care due to being 200 lbs. at 9 years old? I do not agree with this...A dietitian could intervene and help the poor boy with different eating habits.

Last edited by njsocks; 11-28-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
They should start taking obese moms away too

Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
They're going to have to take about a third of the kids away from their parents where I live.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Obese Third Grader Taken From Mom, Placed in Foster Care - Yahoo! News

Let's see --when I was young I went outside to play all day,kept active, raked leaves, shoveled snow, had fun, rode my bicycle, swam at my friend's pool in the summer. I didn't SIT all day long. This mother should be ashamed of herself. This kid needs a DIETITIAN ASAP! The parents are responsible for their son. The son isn't old enough to make rational decisions on her own. He needs help. The mother needs psychiatric help! What a neglectful woman.My twins go to their primary every year and they are at healthy, normal weights. They don't eat junk, are active and don't have them sitting in front of computers at night or on weekends!

What are your thoughts about the child being placed in foster care due to being 200 lbs. at 13 years old? I do not agree with this...A dietitian could intervene and help the poor boy with different eating habits.
I don't know what the answer is. I think it is definitely child abuse though. And a dietitian can't help the kid. He's not responsible for the grocery shopping or food prep. At 13 the parents are completely responsible for his weight and they are killing him.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,680,299 times
This is so sad. I do agree he should be taken away and the mom was deff in the wrong. But think of the child POV. He's ripped from his mom who was probably nothing but nice to him and told he cant eat as much as he wants and has to eat salads and stuff. SMH poor child.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I don't know what the answer is. I think it is definitely child abuse though. And a dietitian can't help the kid. He's not responsible for the grocery shopping or food prep. At 13 the parents are completely responsible for his weight and they are killing him.

I agree with everything but if a dietitian would intervene (as well as a pediatrician) she/he would establish a better guide to nutrition for this child since the mom's grocery list didn't sound too healthy if the child was this overweight. Somehow I think the mother never took the pediatrician's advice if the kid had an ongoing weight problem and just ignored the warnings..The mother needs to be counseled on nutrition to start with.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,951 times
The kid isn't 13, he is turning 9.. The mother is most likely obese also.. Very sad.. Obesity has become an epidemic and I'm starting to think that the "fat tax" is an excellent idea!! Maybe they should start writing tickets for being fat..

back to the story, that poor kid probably feels vey guilty, ashamed, and will forever be traumatized from being yanked from his mother's twinkie stash..Hopefully, they get the mother some type of therapy and that this all has a happy ending..

Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,452,182 times
so sad

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
There is no mention of a dad, and this example is why food stamps should be limited to only a few real food purchases. For those people who are dependent on the government in the first place, they don't have a lot of room to complain when they think the government has too much control over them.

When a mother cannot stop feeding her obese child junk food or too much food even after he's having trouble breathing, it probably is time to call it abuse.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is no mention of a dad, and this example is why food stamps should be limited to only a few real food purchases. For those people who are dependent on the government in the first place, they don't have a lot of room to complain when they think the government has too much control over them.

When a mother cannot stop feeding her obese child junk food or too much food even after he's having trouble breathing, it probably is time to call it abuse.
That is an excellent idea about limiting food stamps to only healthy food!! It also had me thinking that the government is to blame for handing ignorant people food stamps so that they can go buy junk food!! Then when the ignorant people's kids get too fat, the government takes them away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting