Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes. It seems most people over the age of 40 aren't really familiar with appropriate social networking etiquette (neither are many teenagers, to be honest), and for whatever reason, they'll even type things on your wall that they wouldn't even say to you in person.
And this is EXACTLY where your "fun thread" went south. Sorry, but you steered it off course yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Okay, then it's private from mom. Is that suitable for you?

It's not as if I'm this super important person that random people are going to be researching for valuable secrets. But what Mom sees or hears is far more important to me.

Maybe y'all share every aspect of your personal lives with your mothers, maybe y'all would insist that your grown children share every detail with you, or maybe you're not offended by any profane joke or anecdote they share with friends...but that doesn't mean we all have to.
No, I certainly don't share every aspect of my life with my mom, but I also don't share it with 300 people on FB either. I would hope to teach my kids not to post offensive things on FB in the first place. Of course, offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And this is EXACTLY where your "fun thread" went south. Sorry, but you steered it off course yourself.
Why aren't you having fun, Dew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
No, I certainly don't share every aspect of my life with my mom, but I also don't share it with 300 people on FB either. I would hope to teach my kids not to post offensive things on FB in the first place. Of course, offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder.
True, but I'm not going to say anything I wouldn't want all the people who can see my page to know.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My older daughter was willing to let me "friend" her right after I joined FB. The younger one took longer, citing "privacy" until she figured out that she can still keep private conversations private, and that whatever she posts for her 300+ friends to see is probably all right for me to see as well.
I don't look at my kids' pages. As I told them "You aren't all that exciting" .

(Unless we count when they first joined and I hacked into their accounts and left each of them a message that said "Got ya!"

After they freaked out and said "How did you do that?" I explained that if I could do it anyone with evil in their hearts could do it and they needed to be careful. Lesson learned. )

Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sounds like CD! I resent the comment about "people over 40". Most of us are well-versed in social etiquette, from years of practicing it.
I meant etiquette for networking websites in particular.

A lot of parents will post things that embarrass their kids, and teenagers post things that embarrass themselves. I'm only half-kidding

Quote:
My older daughter was willing to let me "friend" her right after I joined FB. The younger one took longer, citing "privacy" until she figured out that she can still keep private conversations private, and that whatever she posts for her 300+ friends to see is probably all right for me to see as well.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Then you don't put it on facebook I don't know when you know-it-all young people are going to realize that what you put out there, is out there for anyone to potentially see. Anyone. your boss, your mom, your future spouse. anyone. If there are people you don't want to know about it, it shouldn't be posted on the world wide web. Duh.
I don't want my mom and grandmother knowing what I do when I go out at night but everyone else I don't care if they know. They are my age and do the same things.
My grandmother doesn't need to see the pictures from the hookah bar, so they are blocked from her viewing.

I hate seeing comments telling me not to swear, that I should be in bed, or that I shouldn't be doing whatever it is I am doing.
Call me, don't post it on my facebook, doing so is not going to deter me from doing what I do, it is however something that will most likely get a person deleted off my friends list.

Quote:
Okay, then it's private from mom. Is that suitable for you?

It's not as if I'm this super important person that random people are going to be researching for valuable secrets. But what Mom sees or hears is far more important to me.

Maybe y'all share every aspect of your personal lives with your mothers, maybe y'all would insist that your grown children share every detail with you, or maybe you're not offended by any profane joke or anecdote they share with friends...but that doesn't mean we all have to.
Exactly.
I post inside jokes, profane jokes, I quote my friends on things they say and its not cool for grandma to post something about how horrible it is when all my friends are cracking up on facebook about it.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Exactly.
I post inside jokes, profane jokes, I quote my friends on things they say and its not cool for grandma to post something about how horrible it is when all my friends are cracking up on facebook about it.
That's because your friends are just as immature as you for posting those things
and then not understanding why grandma is "not cool" about it.

With some maturity and age, you will grasp that not everyone is a hookah-smoking potty mouth.
Heck, you will probably be working for these more mature, classy people the rest of your life.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
That's because your friends are just as immature as you for posting those things
and then not understanding why grandma is "not cool" about it.

With some maturity and age, you will grasp that not everyone is a hookah-smoking potty mouth.
Heck, you will probably be working for these more mature, classy people the rest of your life.
Just because someone has a different type of sense of humor doesn't mean they are immature.
And most my cop friends are the same way, they are guys, they make gross jokes and say things that any grandmother wouldn't want to hear.
Its just the way it is.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Just because someone has a different type of sense of humor doesn't mean they are immature.
And most my cop friends are the same way, they are guys, they make gross jokes and say things that any grandmother wouldn't want to hear.
Its just the way it is.
I have a sense of humor and am not easily offended. The maturity comes in when you figure out what is appropriate to post in public and what is not.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I have a sense of humor and am not easily offended. The maturity comes in when you figure out what is appropriate to post in public and what is not.
I know what is also okay and not okay to post on my OWN facebook with people on there that share the same sense of humor as I do and don't get offended by what I post.

Which is exactly why your parents and grandparents and their friends and bosses should not be on your facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting