Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
THIS is why so many families have drama when kids get married and a daughter- or son-in-law enters the picture.

Immature Mamas and Daddies who can't believe they aren't the boss anymore won't move over and let their kids grow up and be the bosses of their own lives.

Go back and read the Kahlil Gibran poem you posted earlier. That's kind of what this is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,939,799 times
Y'all get back to me when you've been downgraded

Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This may seem obvious, but I never thought about it before . . .

When you get married and have kids, you think of that unit as your "family," and it goes into first position . . . (for the people I know).

But the funny thing is that the concept is progressive . . .so those kids that you think of as your "family," will probably relegate you to second position "family" when they have their own.

Just saying.
So we were being judged on our answers? I thought you were "just saying."

If you look at it as being downgraded, then you will have problems when it happens.

Because it is a natural social progression in a family structure.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Y'all get back to me when you've been downgraded
I'm sure it doesn't feel good, but did you expect any different?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM

As I said in the OP, I never thought about it before. There is no point belaboring the issue with people who are in their prime or in number one family position because you couldn't possibly understand the dynamic. I wouldn't have been able to either - I know that - because, as I said, when you are in the power and control position you cannot fathom that you could be relegated to anything else . . .

If I thought anything, I thought "elders" would be revered and respected. Boy was I wrong about that one.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
As I said in the OP, I never thought about it before. There is no point belaboring the issue with people who are in their prime or in number one family position because you couldn't possibly understand the dynamic. I wouldn't have been able to either - I know that - because, as I said, when you are in the power and control position you cannot fathom that you could be relegated to anything else . . .

If I thought anything, I thought "elders" would be revered and respected. Boy was I wrong about that one.
It shouldn't be about "control."

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It shouldn't be about "control."
Let's just say you don't get it . . .it's not a conscious thing . . .when you have young children, you are in charge of them and you can control them. It's just a fact - not a "should" or "shouldn't be."

It's a default position.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Let's just say you don't get it . . .it's not a conscious thing . . .when you have young children, you are in charge of them and you can control them. It's just a fact - not a "should" or "shouldn't be."

It's a default position.
No, I don't get it. I don't have any delusions that I'm going to control my kids into adulthood. You say you never thought about it, but I have. As I look at my relationship with my parents and my in-laws, I picture me being the MIL. I consider experiences that have been posted on this board. I think about what I will and won't do, and what kind of mother and MIL I want to be. Even though I have actually put some thought into it, I do think it goes without saying. It is a given that our kids will grow up and most likely marry and have another half of the family to spend time with. They will have their own homes and own schedules and own lives.

I may eat my words in 20 years, but I think I have fairly realistic expectations.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"The cirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiiiiiife ..."

The Lion King (1994) - IMDb
We have.. A WINNNNNAH!!! *DING-DING-DING!!!!*

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,381,588 times
My ex and I told our children to always put the needs/wants/desires of their SO's and/or children before us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting