Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 AM

869 posts, read 1,495,188 times

Advertisements

How many times a day should I have to say to my 4 year old to leave your penis alone. I dont know what else to do. Im so completely frustrated!

He constantly has his hands in his pants and plays with it. Any time he can he takes his pants off so he can get to it easier. I have tried telling him that he cant do that at school and they will make him go home, since he starts school in the fall and is really excited. I have tried saying "does daddy always touch his penis?" since he always wants to be like daddy. I have tried punishing him. I have tried telling him that gentlemen/little boys/ big boys etc dont play with it. I have told him its for going potty and unless there is a problem or he is going to the bathroom, he shouldnt be touching it.

I know that curiosity is normal for little boys and "if it feels good, do it", its also rude and impolite for him to always be touching it. What can i do!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
I have 2 boys and they went though this phase..every little boy I have known has done thru this at some age. Some day they will get over it( to a certain degree), don't pay to much attention to it.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I have 2 boys and they went though this phase..every little boy I have known has done thru this at some age. Some day they will get over it( to a certain degree), don't pay to much attention to it.
What about school?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
What about school?
Does he do it while you're out grocery shopping, or otherwise in public places? If he doesn't, then you probably don't have to worry about school.

Although, I would suggest perhaps putting him in some kind of program for the summer before he starts kindergarten (?), so you can prepare him for the kind of social etiquette necessary for situations he'll be in that you won't be there to help him with.

He's old enough to understand that touching your bits is something you do in private that it's not appropriate in front of other people.

But I do understand, it's very hard to find the line between not making them embarrassed regarding their genitalia and not being so proud of it that they show it to all and sundry. Although come to think of it, there are a lot of men who never do get that message.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Does he do it while you're out grocery shopping, or otherwise in public places? If he doesn't, then you probably don't have to worry about school.

Although, I would suggest perhaps putting him in some kind of program for the summer before he starts kindergarten (?), so you can prepare him for the kind of social etiquette necessary for situations he'll be in that you won't be there to help him with.

He's old enough to understand that touching your bits is something you do in private that it's not appropriate in front of other people.

But I do understand, it's very hard to find the line between not making them embarrassed regarding their genitalia and not being so proud of it that they show it to all and sundry. Although come to think of it, there are a lot of men who never do get that message.
He isnt as blatant about it when we are out and about but he still does it. He doesnt put his hand in his pants but he touches it through his pants. And I agree he is old enough to understand that its not appropriate but the lesson is just not getting across. And he is going to preK

Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
He isnt as blatant about it when we are out and about but he still does it. He doesnt put his hand in his pants but he touches it through his pants. And I agree he is old enough to understand that its not appropriate but the lesson is just not getting across. And he is going to preK
I imagine he is at that age that your REACTION is a bigger thrill to him then actually touching it. Try ignoring him, and see if that does anything.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
I would just tell him that's private and he can only do it in the bathroom or in his room by himself. Tell him it's fine to do there (as long as he washes his hands afterwards) but just not something to do in front of anyone, even in front of mommy.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,691 times
Disclosure: I don't not have boys but have many friends with 4 year old boys.

The party line among them is 'it's a private thing, if you want to do it, that's ok but only in private', it seems that's what all the parenting books advise while acknowledging that it IS completely normal.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I would just tell him that's private and he can only do it in the bathroom or in his room by himself. Tell him it's fine to do there (as long as he washes his hands afterwards) but just not something to do in front of anyone, even in front of mommy.
This is exactly what we tell our 3.5 yo. Time will tell how well it works for us!

I agree with the poster who said the parental reaction might be reinforcing it some. We use a matter-of-fact tone and address it briefly if he forgets that he's not in his room or the bathroom, but no big reaction from us.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I imagine he is at that age that your REACTION is a bigger thrill to him then actually touching it. Try ignoring him, and see if that does anything.
When I walk down the hallway after he has been playing in his room alone for a while, i will walk in and see him doing it. He isnt doing it for a reaction, he also does it when he is by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have told him that. I told him that its not for all the time. And that its for only him. And all the usual stuff. He just likes it i guess. I dont know what to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting