Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The thread topic is accessible condoms at school....
Well, not really. It was about handing out condoms to students "as they leave the prom... on their way out the door," is how it was worded.

I've really got nothing against schools making condoms available. Someone posted that the local radio station said they'd be available in the restrooms. That's not quite so bad, perhaps, but certainly not as it was first reported -- on the way out the door.

That's just plain tacky. We're talking about a formal party for high schoolers -- THE formal party of the year. (And nowhere did I read that it was only for seniors.) They can get their condoms before the prom or after the prom at their choice of many locations, but to hand them out, or have a big bowl full of them at the exit -- too tacky! And it would enforce the old prom=sex thoughts. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Exactly. I don't support a school giving out birth control. But if a school does, it should be at the nurses office. Not as a "goodie bag" for after prom activities. What happened to just giving out candy?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Well, not really. It was about handing out condoms to students "as they leave the prom... on their way out the door," is how it was worded.

I've really got nothing against schools making condoms available. Someone posted that the local radio station said they'd be available in the restrooms. That's not quite so bad, perhaps, but certainly not as it was first reported -- on the way out the door.

That's just plain tacky. We're talking about a formal party for high schoolers -- THE formal party of the year. (And nowhere did I read that it was only for seniors.) They can get their condoms before the prom or after the prom at their choice of many locations, but to hand them out, or have a big bowl full of them at the exit -- too tacky! And it would enforce the old prom=sex thoughts. No thanks.
Prom is for the upperclass.
Seniors and Juniors, sophomores by invite and no freshman, so the majority of people at Prom are 16+.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

First, it is a schools in my local area, so our local news interviewed the chancellor. It is for upperclassmen only. The majority of which are of age.

Second, your "tackiness" factor does not out weight the schools responsibility to these AT RISK students. They are students who have transferred into this school due to problems like expulsion and discipline issues at other schools. NYC already has an opt out for parents of underage kids. So just because YOU or other people don't like it does not remotely mean you get to opt out other people's children.

Beyond ridiculous that some people want to not only have the right to decide what is available for their children but also everyone else's. If you really feel strongly, that a bowl of condoms in the bathroom (again what the principal and chancellor said would be happening) is so disturbing to a 17 or 18 yo, then don't send your kids to the prom.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Well, nothing is! Some teens can have a drawer full of condoms and still not use them because they're impulsive, don't always make wise decisions, it "feels" better, and they want to engage in risky behavior and who cares what adults say/think.

Grown people know the dangers of smoking but new smokers are "born" everyday
Yes but even using them only 80 percent of the time is better than using them 0 percent of the time. And yes new smokers are born everyday, but the amount of people who smoke has been dropping. You also fail to account for the family factor in people taking up smoking as well.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
so now it's not gonna happen after all.

Vitals - School backs off condom giveaway at the prom

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Interesting. I thought it was inappropriate. What I find interesting is that a condom maker is allowed to be on campus....advertising their products, and doing free give away. Just not liking it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting