Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times

Advertisements

<3 magritte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM

521 posts, read 860,393 times
You don't think if having a condom in your possesion is all it would take for a teen to get laid, they wouldn't just go spend $5 on a box from 7-11?

That seems way quicker and easier to me than waiting all through high school for senior prom just for a free one.

Jeez, a lot of people don't even have enough faith in their own parenting; they think if you give their kid a condom: BOOM, sexual intercourse will, and must, insue.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
You don't think if having a condom in your possesion is all it would take for a teen to get laid, they wouldn't just go spend $5 on a box from 7-11?

That seems way quicker and easier to me than waiting all through high school for senior prom just for a free one.

Jeez, a lot of people don't even have enough faith in their own parenting; they think if you give their kid a condom: BOOM, sexual intercourse will, and must, insue.
That's the thing too in that sex is such a personal personal decision that parenting has little to do with whether or not your child is going to engage in it or not. It will help determine if they delay it or if they feel comfortable enough coming to you for bc or to talk. However it's not going to stop them once they have it in their mind to do it.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
States with schools that teach abstinence based sex ed have a MUCH higher rate of teen pregnancy. Pregnancy among teens nation wide is dropping...expect in 'red' states that teach abstinence only. The five states with the highest rate of teen pregnancy are all abstinence only states.

Teens are going to have sex. Teaching abstinence only simply means they aren't prepared. They're also more embarrassed and ashamed, so they aren't going to pick up that condom from a bowl or carry one in a wallet where a parent could possibly find it. So when they crack, there's no safety net for them.

If you believe your child will be abstinent because you've already have the talk and you feel they share your beliefs, free condoms should be no threat to you.
I am NOT advocating for abstinence based sex ed. I am merely pointing out that in large areas of the country, that is what the school boards, in response to parents and religious leaders, have chosen as the curriculum.

But I stand by my feelings that abstinence itself is not a bad thing.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,578,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That's the thing too in that sex is such a personal personal decision that parenting has little to do with whether or not your child is going to engage in it or not. It will help determine if they delay it or if they feel comfortable enough coming to you for bc or to talk. However it's not going to stop them once they have it in their mind to do it.

This is the bottom line in a nutshell!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I guess the biggest issue I have with this condom give-away is the idea that prom = sex. Despite what one hears about high school students these days, not all of them are having sex. For many kids, prom is their first big date, and the idea that one should have sex on a first date is inappropriate.

That said, I'd rather see kids who are having sex use condoms than get pregnant.

Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health

Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am NOT advocating for abstinence based sex ed. I am merely pointing out that in large areas of the country, that is what the school boards, in response to parents and religious leaders, have chosen as the curriculum.

No it's the best thing there is considering the hormonal nature of teens. However it is also not logical to teach as a viable method due to said hormones. And areas like that would never allow condoms to be passed out anyway.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM

458 posts, read 611,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is what I responded to:

Your analogy to providing cigars seemed to be an allusion to the financial aspect of the equation. If I am incorrect in my assumption, I apologize.
apology accepted

Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM

458 posts, read 611,579 times
I don't neccessarily believe providing a "bowl of condoms" will cause a teen to have sex. For those teens who were taught differently I don't think it makes a difference at all. I mean there are other ways to obtain condoms if they want it.

I personally never thought about teaching my children abstinence as a method of "birth control." It was more due to issues of morality(for lack of a better term) or the possible emotional and physical ramifications of sex that I feel children/teens aren't equipped to handle.

When I discuss sex with my child I speak of the whole spectrum; abstinence until marriage--the reasons why I feel it's best, in addition to what would/could happen if they choose not to wait and how to protect themselves if they choose not to. And it's a fair discussion, no fear tactics However, I don't advocate sex before marriage by any means, nor will I! I am completely unmoved by the "teens will have sex, abstinence is unrealistic mumbo jumbo. As a parent I will provide what I believe is the best information---'cause, you know, I am the parent (I chose to have sex before marriage. I was very open with my oldest, and so was his father, about the ramifications of that decision).

If my children decide to have sex before then, knock yourself out! It's your choice and your consequence. They would have already been through the discussion of the best thing to do by their parents and they already know not to expect us aiding them in that decsion by providing them with any tools to do what we don't condone. At that point, I don't have anything to do with it!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Abstinence is definitely not a bad thing. Teaching it as the only form of birth control and STD prevention, however, most definitely is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting